Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Filing US Tax Return Whilst Receiving UK Benefits

Wikiposts

Filing US Tax Return Whilst Receiving UK Benefits

Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:31 am
Just Joined

littlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nice
Default Filing US Tax Return Whilst Receiving UK Benefits

Hi all!

I was wondering what the procedure is for declaring UK based welfare benefits on a US 1040 tax return. I am a dual UK/US cit (resident in the UK) in receipt of income support (since early 2010). How does one go about declaring this on a US tax return?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:31 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all
Default Re: Filing US Tax Return Whilst Receiving UK Benefits

Originally Posted by littlemadam
Hi all!

I was wondering what the procedure is for declaring UK based welfare benefits on a US 1040 tax return. I am a dual UK/US cit (resident in the UK) in receipt of income support (since early 2010). How does one go about declaring this on a US tax return?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Hello, welcome to BE.

This is my first year back in UK from US so I am facing similar questions as you and while I don't yet have answers here are my thoughts;

You need to report only taxable income, so the first thing to know is if your income (welfare benefits) is taxable and reportable under the USA system.

You are ahead of me in doing your US filing so I don't know exactly where it is reported on the form but Here is a suggestion:

Do you use Turbotax or TaxAct ?: payment is not required until you actually print off the finished Filing so it would be worth a dummy run through to see what the program suggests?

I have previously used Turbotax and know it has a data bank of questions / answers; and there is an option to post live questions and other users will post answers. This is where I plan to go for starters.

But you could get the official advice direct from the IRS in London. They have phone-in and walk-in help available for tax preparation questions. http://london.usembassy.gov/irs/index.html

Last edited by J.J; Jan 1st 2011 at 10:42 am.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Filing US Tax Return Whilst Receiving UK Benefits

Income support isn't taxable income therefore I don't see that you would need to report it on your US tax return. It is a benefit not an income..

Now if you were receiving contributions based job seekers allowance which is considered taxable income then you would need to.