Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Few more questions(license/nhs/bank/benefits)

Few more questions(license/nhs/bank/benefits)

Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

shak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Few more questions(license/nhs/bank/benefits)

Hello,

I'll be moving back to London at the end of the month! There are a few more things I need to know..I did a search but didn't come up with much.

1. I checked the NHS site today about registering, it says you need proof of address(such as a utility bill), since i'll just be moving back and staying with family I don't know any proof as yet... is there any way to register at a GP's office without that info? All I have is my Passport and NI Card.

2. I plan on applying for JSA, if I get approved, do you need a bank account in order to receive your benefits? I don't have a bank account over there yet, but will try to either open up one from here 1st or as soon as I get there.

3. What's the deal with getting a UK license... I have a US license, would I need to take the theory and driving test before I would be allowed to get a UK license? I do not expect to just get into a car and drive once I'm there...but just curious of the process.

Thank you!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Few more questions(license/nhs/bank/benefits)

You could take a relative that you will be living with to verify you are living there when you go to the local GP to register. Thats what Ds did last summer.
You can open an account once you get back, they won't pay JSA immediately, they make you wait a bit, so there's time to get an account open then.
You can drive on your US license for 12 month, the cost of the insurance is high though, but booking in for your tests, it can take a while to get a date, so you with ride the bus or pay though the nose for insurance to drive while you wait to get your UK license.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:51 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Another option for the address requirement is, using your family member's address, to sign up as soon as possible for something like a Tesco points card, Nectar points card (Sainsburys), Boots points card, HMV, etc etc I think you can do this online (you might even be able to do it now ) and they don't take long to arrive in the mail. When they arrive, be sure to save the letter/envelope and you can use those as your address verification. That's what we used when we moved back.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

1 & 2

Think about all those folk in other people's homes...with parents for example.

They're not excluded for want of a utility bill.

A bank statement should achieve the same end.

The DWP encourages payment of benefits into banks but they can do girocheques to be paid at the PO. But take a look at JSA/Habitual Residence threads to prepare yourself. There are a couple of recent ones.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey DDL< thanks for this, just sent of for a Tesco card and Boots! great idea.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:15 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about proof of address for joining a doctor's surgery?

I just joined one 3 weeks ago for the first time since arriving here in February and was only asked for my NHS number, I even had the card from last time I lived here with my address and doctor's details on but the receptionist said she didn't need to see it.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

The post office has an account which is easy to open for those who dont have bank accounts. Many people get there benefits paid into them. You can not use these accounts for much else though!

Post Office Card Account

As soon as you go to the DWP to register for JSA they should send you a letter to confirm, best form of proof of address you can have. Even though they might not grant it you for an age they should send a letter.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's not so much proof of address for a doctor...it's more of a funding thing.

A few weeks ago I posted a news item about a park bench in Bristol that was registered with a postcode so that roofless homeless people could use it.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much everyone!

I actually e-mailed a doctors office in the area where I'll be staying and I let them know I don't have proof of address, only my passport and NI card, this was their response:

"Unfortunately we are unable to register you without proof of address. You can however use the walk in clinic until you have the documents required."

I don't know if it depends on your area or not, but on a previous trip to London I went to my old doctors office(the last the I was there was over 20 years ago) and they told me the same, I need proof of address.

Well I will definitely try the post office card account and the store cards...as far as the bank, when you sign up for an account, won't I also need proof off address?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:00 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to show them that you live within the area that the practice covers. Surgery boundaries are drawn up by primary care trusts. I think the idea is probably not to overwhelm any particular surgery.

I can see where surgeries in less-populated areas or surgeries with plenty of room for new patients might not require proof of address.

More often than not, you'll need proof of address for one thing or another once you move back. We tried to do as much as possible ahead of time, hence our sending off for loyalty cards that would give us 'mail' showing our new address. And on the plus-side of that, you can immediately start accruing Tesco Points for all those Tunnocks Tea Cakes you'll be buying. :-)
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Well that does make sense that they would need to know if you do actually live in the area.

I'm in the process of signing up with boots and tesco online now. Thanks for that suggestion! I also sent an e-mail to santander about opening an account...I will also check out hsbc and a few others I've heard mentioned here.

I guess it's better to start a little early then to wait to get everything started once I get there
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:19 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
You have to show them that you live within the area that the practice covers. Surgery boundaries are drawn up by primary care trusts. I think the idea is probably not to overwhelm any particular surgery.

I can see where surgeries in less-populated areas or surgeries with plenty of room for new patients might not require proof of address.

More often than not, you'll need proof of address for one thing or another once you move back. We tried to do as much as possible ahead of time, hence our sending off for loyalty cards that would give us 'mail' showing our new address. And on the plus-side of that, you can immediately start accruing Tesco Points for all those Tunnocks Tea Cakes you'll be buying. :-)

Maybe my docs is one of those with plenty of room for new patients as honestly nobody asked me for anything armed as I was with all kind of proof.............
Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:21 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by DDL
Originally Posted by shak
Well that does make sense that they would need to know if you do actually live in the area.
Here's the link to that article about the park bench I mentioned.
Hard to imagine how one can prove one's address is a park bench.

It was a few years ago and maybe the authorities (or just particular officials) are getting fussy. Or interpretting showing as proving. It can't always be proven, but they can still accept it as having been "shown" if you see what I mean.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Maybe my docs is one of those with plenty of room for new patients as honestly nobody asked me for anything armed as I was with all kind of proof.............
A non fussy one by the sound of things.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 6th 2011 at 11:24 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe I could use the "no fixed abode" address

Well someone from Santander replied to my e-mail, they directed me back to the website and there is a list of acceptable "Proofs of Identity"...you're required to have 2 if you want to open a new account. Of course, I only have 1, which is my passport... but they do have a note at the bottom stating that they know some people may not reach the identity requirements and they still may be able to help. So that's a positive note, I'll give them a call and see what they say...
Old Jul 7th 2011, 4:12 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shak
Maybe I could use the "no fixed abode" address

Well someone from Santander replied to my e-mail, they directed me back to the website and there is a list of acceptable "Proofs of Identity"...you're required to have 2 if you want to open a new account. Of course, I only have 1, which is my passport... but they do have a note at the bottom stating that they know some people may not reach the identity requirements and they still may be able to help. So that's a positive note, I'll give them a call and see what they say...
Bank of Santander is where my Ds opened his first account when arriving in UK. They were very happy to oblige and he only had his passport and BC no real proof of address as he was at his grandmothers house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.