Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Fences in Britain (the kind around a house that is)

Wikiposts

Fences in Britain (the kind around a house that is)

Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Fences in Britain (the kind around a house that is)

OK time for another factfinding trivia thread from me, now I know that I can source a bathroom cabinet I have some other concerns.

Here in Aus I quite like the fences, we have the 6-7 foot colourbond (solid metal painted) variety. I enjoy being able to go out the back without seeing or being seen by my neighbours, and I have a border collie so I can be secure in the knowledge that he can't get out unless he tunnels under it and have fortified the bottom of it according.

All the places I am looking at on t'internet have either no fencing or 3 foot wire stuff, Rory would not even need a running jump at it he could just about step over it - seriously.

So can I get colourbond in the UK? Will my neighbours be horrified if I put up a "proper" fence?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:52 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fences in Britain (the kind around a house that is)

All the houses by my Mom have nice real solid fences, Cement posts with wood sections in between, I think they sell the panels at B&Q.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not seen colourbond in Uk, but 6ft fence is ok.

Not sure if you have to discuss with neighbours, depends on size of garden (I guess) and if you are going to take a lot of light away from them.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

My fence in Oz is asbestos can't believe it is allowed over here when they ban prawn cocktail crisps!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
My fence in Oz is asbestos can't believe it is allowed over here when they ban prawn cocktail crisps!
omg asbestos
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Are you serious - that's atrocious, when you think that there is no safe level of asbestos....

I would be happy to live out in the sticks so I could have a big fence, but not much in the way of jobs in the Highlands.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

The rules of thumb for fencing in britain are:

Back garden, you may go up to 6 ft without planning permission.

Front garden, you may go up to 3 ft without planning permission.

If the property is a listed building or in a conservation area then the rules are different.

(Celtic Princess worked in planning department for a while.)
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen colourbond in UK, but only in commercial buildings, used as exterior wall cladding. I have not seen it used as fencing. However the fact I have seen it as wall cladding at least means it's available.

I share your concern about fencing, I too like the look of colourbond. It's neat, modern, easy to keep clean and easy to replace any panels that might get damaged.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by backagen
I have seen colourbond in UK, but only in commercial buildings, used as exterior wall cladding. I have not seen it used as fencing. However the fact I have seen it as wall cladding at least means it's available.

I share your concern about fencing, I too like the look of colourbond. It's neat, modern, easy to keep clean and easy to replace any panels that might get damaged.

And it's harder to set fire to on bonfire night.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

I stand corrected

http://kookaburra-fencing.co.uk/
Old Nov 8th 2008, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

You will find that on most properties in the UK, you will "own" or be responsible for the fencing on one side of the plot. This can be identified by just asking the current owner, and the deeds will highlight this aswell when you get that far.

So for example, you might look out of the back door of the property and down the garden and be responsible for the right hand fencing and the rear border, and your neighbour would be responsible for the left hand border. And say, therefore, that the left hand side was scruffy, too low, or non-existant, and it was you that wanted to 'rectify' the situation, you might approach the neighbour with an offer to go halves on the costs. They may like the border the way it is, or not be able to afford to replace it. In which case, if it bothered you that much, you might have to just pay to put up some new fencing yourselves. I would imagine in most cases, neighbours can come to a compromise.

I'm talking about more modest homes, and more densley populated residential areas. I think if you get into massive homes or very large plots, the mere costs of 6 foot fencing all around an acre garden becomes prohibitive and the use of wire, posts and hedging makes more sense !
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:39 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess
The rules of thumb for fencing in britain are:

Back garden, you may go up to 6 ft without planning permission.

Front garden, you may go up to 3 ft without planning permission.

If the property is a listed building or in a conservation area then the rules are different.

(Celtic Princess worked in planning department for a while.)
Not strictly true. You don't need planning permission unless the fence/ wall would exceed 1m next to a highway used by vehicles, or 2 metres elsewhere.

Also need to check whether the Council has issued an Article 4 direction which removed permitted development rights.

You are correct about listed buildings/ conservation areas.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:41 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
It all looks a bit 'Kath and Kim' to me.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

I suppose it is "sterile" and suburban but it is nice and tidy, and bits never come off it or warp. And it is the best dog containment fence ever.
6 foot is big enough, he's not THAT determined unless there is some hot bitch around LOL.

And for an acre it is a bit exxy but I have been looking and can't find anywhere with that sized yard in the UK that I could afford anyway. Even some of the houses situated in the country are only on 500m.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
It all looks a bit 'Kath and Kim' to me.
I hate Kath and Kim, and even though I'm British and not Australian, I find it embarrassing that I live in a place that anyone might associate, however loosely, with that absolutely disgusting show.

However I find colourbond fencing, and even more so the styles on offer from the company referred to in the above post, very pleasing to the eye and I can't see why anyone would associate them with Kath and Kim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.