Feeling Homesick Tonight

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Laura_Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feeling Homesick Tonight

I miss the seasons in the UK... We don't really have seasons here, just hot from Nov - Mar and ridiculously hot the rest of the year.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by confusedenglishrose
Southern CA typifies what I am saying
Cracks me up when I drive past 24 hour fatness on a perfectly beautiful day and every treadmill, cycling machine and elliptical has someone on it - perhaps "outside" scares them
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laura_Jayne
I miss the seasons in the UK... We don't really have seasons here, just hot from Nov - Mar and ridiculously hot the rest of the year.
This spring season so far here in the UK has been one of the most spectacularly beautiful for many years - very little rain for over two months, plenty of clear blue skies and warm sunshine day after day after the prolonged very cold, snowy spell from late November to late December.

The snowdrops, crocuses and daffodils are now long gone and now it's a mass of bluebells and anemones in the woods and on the hillsides and blossoms on the trees. Lambing is in full swing, and this weekend I was down in Cambridgeshire (where I actually heard a cuckoo and saw some swifts, house martins and even some swallows) and saw the Morris dancers in full swing outside the Dog and Partridge, all tinkling bells and waving hankies and big floral hats and giant tankards suspended from their belts.....they never, ever seem to strut their stuff anywhere more than a hundred yards from a pub.

On Sunday - at the first light of the early dawn on May Day - the students will be leaping off the Magdalen Bridge in Oxford - a sure sign, too, that spring is here.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
This spring season so far here in the UK has been one of the most spectacularly beautiful for many years - very little rain for over two months, plenty of clear blue skies and warm sunshine day after day after the prolonged very cold, snowy spell from late November to late December.

The snowdrops, crocuses and daffodils are now long gone and now it's a mass of bluebells and anemones in the woods and on the hillsides and blossoms on the trees. Lambing is in full swing, and this weekend I was down in Cambridgeshire (where I actually heard a cuckoo and saw some swifts, house martins and even some swallows) and saw the Morris dancers in full swing outside the Dog and Partridge, all tinkling bells and waving hankies and big floral hats and giant tankards suspended from their belts.....they never, ever seem to strut their stuff anywhere more than a hundred yards from a pub.

On Sunday - at the first light of the early dawn on May Day - the students will be leaping off the Magdalen Bridge in Oxford - a sure sign, too, that spring is here.
It hasn't stopped raining here - after a horrible cold snowy winter, now a really soggy spring - if this continues, I'm going to think about building an ark!!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
It hasn't stopped raining here - after a horrible cold snowy winter, now a really soggy spring - if this continues, I'm going to think about building an ark!!
I'm sorry it's been so nasty over your way - it's now turning a lot cooler here in Edinburgh now too - not rainy at all just cloudy with a chilly east wind again coming all the way from Russia. Good luck with the ark - just make sure you double up on everything you put on board.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:00 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Same here - it's been gray and rainy for weeks on end. Today is finally sunny and 55 degrees but thunder storms are forecast for later and for the next 3 days. It's like we got the UK's weather and they got ours!
Old May 1st 2011, 6:16 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

I watched The Wedding on Friday. That made me homesick - I used to work in that part of London and seeing all those places again really hit hard.

I am lucky in that Eastern PA and NJ where I work is lovely, rural, friendly and people do walk around - small towns have a really lovely atmosphere here. I am surrounded by beautiful rolling countryside, but it was the timelessness of the wonderful London architecture that I suddenly realised I miss, and never thought I would.
Old May 8th 2011, 8:44 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Pride and Prejudice has been playing all weekend on the Style Network here in NYC, and boy, does the scenery in that movie make me homesick.
I could watch that movie for the sheer beauty of it, the images of the hills and the houses I find profoundly moving. There's something about the rolling moors and the hills that stirs homesickness like nothing else I can verbalize.
Old May 8th 2011, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachococo
I did try to make 'friends' but I think the doctors wives aren't up for it. The parents at my daughters school actually look scared when I tried to strike up a conversation.... so I will make do with wine and choc...its nice to know there are others doing the same!!
I've just noticed this thread, and your response reminds me of this Peter Cook and Dudley Moore sketch which I heard on the radio last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-fxp...eature=related
Old May 8th 2011, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Pride and Prejudice has been playing all weekend on the Style Network here in NYC, and boy, does the scenery in that movie make me homesick.
I could watch that movie for the sheer beauty of it, the images of the hills and the houses I find profoundly moving. There's something about the rolling moors and the hills that stirs homesickness like nothing else I can verbalize.
Is that the movie with Keira Knightly? Yes - I've seen it and liked it, but my absolute favorite adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice" was the mini-series shown on A & E network in the mid 90s (the one with Colin Firth playing Mr Darcy). I think it may have been made by the BBC, although I'm not sure about that.