Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Feel much stronger after reading on here!!

Feel much stronger after reading on here!!

Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Jandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really nice
Default Feel much stronger after reading on here!!

HI there everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself and add a 2p's worth about 'stuff'.

Been in Perth for a year now and desperatly still trying to adjust. I never had that idea that Australia was the best place on earth and had visited a few times before, but we still kept having the "shall we move there?" conversations, so we did, but now, oh boy, i just miss my old life. I miss the forest walks, the winter (i do i do), bonfire night, Christmas seeing the lights at night as it darkens earlier, my son playing with my parents, miss Devon holidays, miss warm houses in winter, decent tv, decent radio, i miss some intelligence - we've had some real eye openers here and I am concerened about my son's future education. I never have cared for the heat and have made a boo-boo on that front thinking i'd adapt..........i have but don't at all enjoy it.

Reading these posts have made me feel normal about my feelings and have made me feel excited about whatevere choice we make - to stay or go back. We'll stay for citizenship for sure, and after that - we'll see. I'M EXCITED!!! I have choices!!!!! It might not be quite the same as my old life should i go back, and i may ping pong back again, but hey, at least i'm not the only one!!!

Lots of luck to all those making decisions and I will speak again with you soon i am sure.............
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:30 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feel much stronger after reading on here!!

Hey, welcome to the site

You're right, you do have choices, and by obtaining your citizenship you'll have even more of a choice in the furture.

Good on you for have the balls to emigrate in the first place. At least you'll never wonder "What if?"
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:33 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jandysi
HI there everyone,

Been in Perth for a year now and desperatly still trying to adjust. I never had that idea that Australia was the best place on earth and had visited a few times before, but we still kept having the "shall we move there?" conversations, so we did, but now, oh boy, i just miss my old life. I miss the forest walks, the winter (i do i do), bonfire night, Christmas seeing the lights at night as it darkens earlier, my son playing with my parents, miss Devon holidays, miss warm houses in winter, decent tv, decent radio, i miss some intelligence - we've had some real eye openers here and I am concerened about my son's future education. I never have cared for the heat and have made a boo-boo on that front thinking i'd adapt..........i have but don't at all enjoy it.

Reading these posts have made me feel normal about my feelings and have made me feel excited about whatevere choice we make - to stay or go back. We'll stay for citizenship for sure, and after that - we'll see. I'M EXCITED!!! I have choices!!!!! It might not be quite the same as my old life should i go back, and i may ping pong back again, but hey, at least i'm not the only one!!!

Lots of luck to all those making decisions and I will speak again with you soon i am sure.............
Hi Jandysi and welcome to BE!

I can totally relate to your post - unfortunately for me I didn't find this forum until we had moved back to the UK from Perth but when I did it was such a relief to find like minded people and finally to realise there are quite a few of us that feel homesick and actually prefer the UK to Oz!!

There are some great people on this forum and if you ever feel like a moan you can always pop on here and get it off your chest!!

I've been back in the UK now for 17 months and I'm still loving it and can never see myself moving back to Oz. So yes your feelings are normal and no you are definitely not alone!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Just having the choice makes things so much easier to handle IMHO.

It is interesting to see how many people actually dont want to live in Aus - I thought I was the only one until I found this board and it is so nice to have a vent every now and again.

I'm with you - the heat makes me feel like cr*p and more than ever I just want to go home (sat on the sun side of a non aircon car for 2 hours yesterday and felt horrible all evening). Unfortunately, that is not one of my options and though I will be there in less than 6 months (roll on July) it is only for a month this time.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Just having the choice makes things so much easier to handle IMHO.

It is interesting to see how many people actually dont want to live in Aus - I thought I was the only one until I found this board and it is so nice to have a vent every now and again.

I'm with you - the heat makes me feel like cr*p and more than ever I just want to go home (sat on the sun side of a non aircon car for 2 hours yesterday and felt horrible all evening). Unfortunately, that is not one of my options and though I will be there in less than 6 months (roll on July) it is only for a month this time.
Ah but Quoll, isn't that a good thing to look forward to? Seeing the UK in the summer - just think of all that lovely warm rain!! Hope you have a fabby time. Hopefully you'll get back feeling refreshed and ready for the next Aussie onslaught!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I shouldnt complain, the next one is going to be short as well but is planned for early December!!!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

HI there everyone,

Hi there Jandysi - yes good to read all the other posts here isn't it? I also thought I must be weird and the only one not to want/like it enough to stay here. To be perfectly frank, I am now more worried about handling all the comments from UK people on my return - ie why on earth have I returned? Not from my close family and friends; they're supportive. I think I may just type it out on a laminated sheet and tell them to read my answer, as I've got better things to do than have the discussion!

There, I feel better already
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojosan
Hi there Jandysi - yes good to read all the other posts here isn't it? I also thought I must be weird and the only one not to want/like it enough to stay here. To be perfectly frank, I am now more worried about handling all the comments from UK people on my return - ie why on earth have I returned? Not from my close family and friends; they're supportive. I think I may just type it out on a laminated sheet and tell them to read my answer, as I've got better things to do than have the discussion!

There, I feel better already
People have been roaming the earth looking for good bits to set up camp for centuries so why should it be any different now? So you tried Australia and moved back. If people like the folk on this site didn't travel and explore, set up home in other countries, marry people from other races blah blah blah...what a boring world it would be. You should be proud of yourself for having such an adventurous spirit and give the one fingered salute to the egg and chip brigade on your return. All the best to you.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
People have been roaming the earth looking for good bits to set up camp for centuries so why should it be any different now? So you tried Australia and moved back. If people like the folk on this site didn't travel and explore, set up home in other countries, marry people from other races blah blah blah...what a boring world it would be. You should be proud of yourself for having such an adventurous spirit and give the one fingered salute to the egg and chip brigade on your return. All the best to you.

Cheers for that! You've made me feel much better about it all
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

HI there everyone,

Hi and welcome to this site....it's really helped me/us as we have been here for 10 years and in all that time we just thought it was us that felt as we did...I do think that is why we stayed here so long...people here in Perth we knew all thought we were "crazy" to feel like we do....so it has been hard...I have never known or met anyone this side of the river who has wanted to or gone back home!!!..we found this site by accident last May and it has been my saving from the "straight" Jacket......!!!..the "Yellow Van"..etc....
Thanks to everyone out there for keeping me sane...especially when I am having days like today!!!!!
Oh by the way our home goes on the Market in a few weeks!!!!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
My favorite "egg" do you know how expensive they are here at the moment? $1.29!!! it's a treat but at least at that price I will not get any "larger"..how sad a treat a Cadbury's Creme Egg"..but they are lovely with a cup of tea and a few mins in the fridge before you eat!!!!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
My favorite "egg" do you know how expensive they are here at the moment? $1.29!!! it's a treat but at least at that price I will not get any "larger"..how sad a treat a Cadbury's Creme Egg"..but they are lovely with a cup of tea and a few mins in the fridge before you eat!!!!
I do love a cream egg myself! Come easter I don't want any other chocolate just a cream egg.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:28 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Agh, yes- but it has to be a Glasgow cream Egg, Glasgowlass!!! ( chocolate tastes better back home - ESPECIALLY Cream Eggs! ;o) )

With regards to the original poster. I could've written most of that myself.
We have been here almost a year. I have been here several times before. I am now finding myself counting down the months until we go back and it makes me very sad to be living like that. I have never been one to stick around anywhere if I've been unhappy but I am staying here in Oz to give my husband a better chance at his job as he is just about to be promoted. He has never lived overseas before. I couldn't take this opportunity away from him. We hope that the promotion will open more doors for him when we do go back to the Uk.
So, I am "sticking it out" for another 26 or 27 months - to be exact.

I yearn to feel settled and at ease again as I am not feeling that way here. I miss the smallest things - the things that we take for granted.

I want to have my own house again. ( we can't afford to buy here after trying so hard for the last 10 months and now have to rent until we go back which is even more unsettling as the landlords can sell up at any time - which is what I'm going through just now )
I want to not have to heartworm my dog every day. To be back in a job where I feel like I'm part of the place - not an outsider. I feel so alone in my job. I have been very unlucky with work here since we arrived. I've been a nurse for 11 years and this has been the worst career move I've made. There are plenty of nursing jobs here - but mostly jobs which they can't get aussie nurses to fill, so they are vacant with good reason!
I work casual here which means I get work when it's available so some weeks I might go without pay. It's not the best way to live but many employers here offer casual work over full time and part time so they don't have to pay holidays or sick pay.
I would like to switch on the telly and not have every sports game or talk show sponsored by 6 different companies - or be another US import!
I miss Uk humour. It seems so 'normal' and 'sincere' and heartwarming compared to what aussies find funny. I miss old pubs and the countryside and even shopping on a cold, wet day!
Christmas - God, Christmas!! I really missed it last year. It could have been any day of the year here for all it was. Gimme dark nights, frost and christmas lights in every window,christmas specials on TV and home cooked food made special just for that one day!
I love the sunny days here in Oz I really do, but not so much the heat, but I am now finding it hard to enjoy these days when all I seem to think about is when we can eventually go back home and buy our own house again. My nest!

Feeling very sad writing this. But it's good to get it out of my head and into type.
My husband knows how I feel, but he wants me to stop mentioning "going back" so that he can try and settle and get this promotion and at least enjoy his time here. So, I am limited to what I can say to him or anyone else. It's hard. I'm not miserable here, I just feel that I would like to be home for many of the above reasons as well as quite a few other reasons.

I was diagnosed with something pritty naff 4 years ago and I am frustrated with the healthcare set up here. God Bless the NHS for all it's faults. It may be buckling under the strain but it keeps going and is so accessable compared to healthcare here where you have to pay just to speak to someone. I want my family to be within driving distance so that I can be with them when I need them and they would be happier I think if we did return as they know what we have come through and continue to be up against as a young couple.

I know what the answer is of course. I just feel I have to put my husband first as he has given me the last 4 years of his life and cared for me throughout my illness's worst times. His hapiness and experience in life is just as important as mine and I would be putting myself first if I told him I wanted to go home sooner than planned.

Please don't give me all the usual banter or slating, aussie lovers. I don't need to hear any of it as it really doesn't help anyone, does it?!

I am just sharing my experience and feelings with the MBTUK folks who understand fairly well how it can be for some people who make the move here. We are all different,our lives are so different and complex and we all have different experiences - that's just how it is.

*pearly*
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:36 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Agh, yes- but it has to be a Glasgow cream Egg, Glasgowlass!!! ( chocolate tastes better back home - ESPECIALLY Cream Eggs! ;o) )

With regards to the original poster. I could've written most of that myself.
We have been here almost a year. I have been here several times before. I am now finding myself counting down the months until we go back and it makes me very sad to be living like that. I have never been one to stick around anywhere if I've been unhappy but I am staying here in Oz to give my husband a better chance at his job as he is just about to be promoted. He has never lived overseas before. I couldn't take this opportunity away from him. We hope that the promotion will open more doors for him when we do go back to the Uk.
So, I am "sticking it out" for another 26 or 27 months - to be exact.

I yearn to feel settled and at ease again as I am not feeling that way here. I miss the smallest things - the things that we take for granted.

I want to have my own house again. ( we can't afford to buy here after trying so hard for the last 10 months and now have to rent until we go back which is even more unsettling as the landlords can sell up at any time - which is what I'm going through just now )
I want to not have to heartworm my dog every day. To be back in a job where I feel like I'm part of the place - not an outsider. I feel so alone in my job. I have been very unlucky with work here since we arrived. I've been a nurse for 11 years and this has been the worst career move I've made. There are plenty of nursing jobs here - but mostly jobs which they can't get aussie nurses to fill, so they are vacant with good reason!
I work casual here which means I get work when it's available so some weeks I might go without pay. It's not the best way to live but many employers here offer casual work over full time and part time so they don't have to pay holidays or sick pay.
I would like to switch on the telly and not have every sports game or talk show sponsored by 6 different companies - or be another US import!
I miss Uk humour. It seems so 'normal' and 'sincere' and heartwarming compared to what aussies find funny. I miss old pubs and the countryside and even shopping on a cold, wet day!
Christmas - God, Christmas!! I really missed it last year. It could have been any day of the year here for all it was. Gimme dark nights, frost and christmas lights in every window,christmas specials on TV and home cooked food made special just for that one day!
I love the sunny days here in Oz I really do, but not so much the heat, but I am now finding it hard to enjoy these days when all I seem to think about is when we can eventually go back home and buy our own house again. My nest!

Feeling very sad writing this. But it's good to get it out of my head and into type.
My husband knows how I feel, but he wants me to stop mentioning "going back" so that he can try and settle and get this promotion and at least enjoy his time here. So, I am limited to what I can say to him or anyone else. It's hard. I'm not miserable here, I just feel that I would like to be home for many of the above reasons as well as quite a few other reasons.

I was diagnosed with something pritty naff 4 years ago and I am frustrated with the healthcare set up here. God Bless the NHS for all it's faults. It may be buckling under the strain but it keeps going and is so accessable compared to healthcare here where you have to pay just to speak to someone. I want my family to be within driving distance so that I can be with them when I need them and they would be happier I think if we did return as they know what we have come through and continue to be up against as a young couple.

I know what the answer is of course. I just feel I have to put my husband first as he has given me the last 4 years of his life and cared for me throughout my illness's worst times. His hapiness and experience in life is just as important as mine and I would be putting myself first if I told him I wanted to go home sooner than planned.

Please don't give me all the usual banter or slating, aussie lovers. I don't need to hear any of it as it really doesn't help anyone, does it?!

I am just sharing my experience and feelings with the MBTUK folks who understand fairly well how it can be for some people who make the move here. We are all different,our lives are so different and complex and we all have different experiences - that's just how it is.

*pearly*
Somebody would have to be pretty heartless to give you stick after reading that pearly. Nothing in life is forever, your time to return to your safe haven will fly by.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I absolutely understand how you feel and all I can say is I wish you the very best and the strength to carry on while you do what you have to do here. I find myself hovering in this bit of the forum more and more of late even though I'm not going anywhere..urgh...as I feel I can offer more in the way of a friendly ear or word or encouragement to someone else who's struggling. I think it should be a safe haven for folk to talk and getting things off their chest as there are plenty of other areas for the deleriously happy abroad to post.
There'll be a big juicy Glasgow kiss for anyone that slates your post!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.