Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

feel like the holiday is over now.....?

feel like the holiday is over now.....?

Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

toria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default feel like the holiday is over now.....?

Hi all,

Never thought I would be posting on this forum after arriving in NZ almost 2 years ago and declaring that I would never leave!!

We rented for the first year and spent lots of time looking a dream houses - we eventually brought our dream house in December and have now started to feel like "well we've done it all now, the holidays over - lets go home"....

Does anyone else relate to this, or are we being too hasty?!! HELP!!!

Vic
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:21 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: feel like the holiday is over now.....?

Originally Posted by toria
Hi all,

Never thought I would be posting on this forum after arriving in NZ almost 2 years ago and declaring that I would never leave!!

We rented for the first year and spent lots of time looking a dream houses - we eventually brought our dream house in December and have now started to feel like "well we've done it all now, the holidays over - lets go home"....

Vic
That sounds very familiar We rented then bought last November and are due to leave Canada June 26th...........
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all,

Vic
YES!! We accelerated this and bought the dream home in Perth WA 1 month after arriving...holiday mode for a month or two then .. 8 months later back home in Scotland with the children renting a flat ..and 'living' again and never been happier. Absolutely amazed by what is really important in life. Different for everyone but certainly weather, house size and ability to go to beach doesn't really factor for us!!
My personal feeling was so instinctive and was really able to look at the long term pan out of our life and I just knew it was definitely not what we wanted..no regrets as we had always wondered..and as I say never been happier..so much happier than before we left Scotland in the first place.

ain't life strange!! but yes I can so relate to what you are saying. i guess our honeymoon period was the 8-10 month long holidays over 10-15 years we had in Perth and we (hubby from perth!) were so sure the living quality would match the holidaying quality but alas not for us.

See what time does but don't waste it!! Our reasons for home were so fundamental they couldn't be ignored and luckily those reasons have been justified since returning.

Follow your heart!
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Vic
Hi Vic

not quite the same thing but it was only after we managed to buy our very first house (after being here for 6 years) that we started making plans to move back. I think we struggled for so long and then it was like wow we've finally made this work but it's then that you realize what's important to you.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:32 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Hi Vic

not quite the same thing but it was only after we managed to buy our very first house (after being here for 6 years) that we started making plans to move back. I think we struggled for so long and then it was like wow we've finally made this work but it's then that you realize what's important to you.
Mmmm would totally agree .....its like when your battling for something, you have this drive that keeps pushing you on. And once you start relaxing thats when it hits you i think
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

majohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to all

Hi,

have experienced those feelings on and off for the 5 yrs we have been in NZ, now our daughter has shipped to Perth, me and the wife are looking forward to returning home. Just hoping we are able to settle and dont experience 'counterculture' syndrome, having been out of UK for 5 yrs!!.

We have Kiwi citizenship now so are keeping things pretty loose, and will rent for a while until we are settled.Its nice to be free and have options. definitely got a nce warm feeling about going back though!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:52 am
Just Joined

toria is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you all! it's just so reassuring to hear we are not going mad! Really feel focused now on going back, we are going to pop back in August for a reccy - just to be sure(!)(then hopefully head back properly at the end of the year, when we can get our house sold- know anyone who wants 5 acres in NZ?!)

Vic
Old Jun 12th 2008, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Hi all,

Vic
Totally relate to this! HaHa

We moved over to NZ 4 1/2 yrs ago and bought a hse within 6wks...then a couple of weeks later we bought a 3 acres section for the 'dream' house to be built...we moved into the 'dream' house Dec 2006 and was told by friends etc
"that's it now, you can really settle, you don't have to move for years" (shock, horror..years!).

By Dec 2007 we had made it official, and told everyone "this was not 'forever' its not home, we are going to UK, yay"! Most people on both sides of the world were a little amazed by our decision, some even thought we were/are joking. They may believe us when they come to the leaving party!!!

Now need to sell...anyone want a 'dream'....
Old Jun 12th 2008, 1:26 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Yup

Want to go home.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 1:31 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Alberta (and Canada in general) is so vast, that you become very reliant on what your locality has to offer.

Those offerings may be good, and will sustain your interest for a 2/3 yr "holiday" period, BUT after that, ....................................?????
Old Jun 12th 2008, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

We have Kiwi citizenship now so are keeping things pretty loose, and will rent for a while until we are settled.Its nice to be free and have options. definitely got a nce warm feeling about going back though![/QUOTE]

Hi
Its a toughie isnt it , wondering whether your making the right choice but if it dosnt feel right then no amount of extra time spent somewhere you would rather not be is going to make it any better. But at least youve got your NZ citizenship so if it dosnt work out, its always there
Have you decided on where you want to return to in the Uk ?
All the best
Old Jun 12th 2008, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

Originally Posted by sans
Mmmm would totally agree .....its like when your battling for something, you have this drive that keeps pushing you on. And once you start relaxing thats when it hits you i think
I think you are right. It is easy to become so focused on the getting there and settling in, that once everything starts coming together then there's this feeling of 'what now?'
Life has to carry on, even if you have a dream house, in a beautiful location, it still not fulfilling, if those are not the things you really value in life. This is why it is so important to be clear about what is important and what you value most before moving.

If you are moving back it is equally important to be sure of what you want. Because it is a natural reaction to want to go back to familiar surroundings if you are not happy where you are. So make sure it is the right reasons for going back.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

majohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Eastbound
We have Kiwi citizenship now so are keeping things pretty loose, and will rent for a while until we are settled.Its nice to be free and have options. definitely got a nce warm feeling about going back though!
Hi
Its a toughie isnt it , wondering whether your making the right choice but if it dosnt feel right then no amount of extra time spent somewhere you would rather not be is going to make it any better. But at least youve got your NZ citizenship so if it dosnt work out, its always there
All the best [/QUOTE]

Hi Eastbound,

We're heading back to North Lincolnshire, a little town on the Humber Estuary called Barton, as i have work in Hull, so will commute over the the Bridge.
We are from Grimsby and have family there and thats only 20 miles from Barton, so a nice choice we think.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:18 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by majohnno
Hi
All the best

Hi Eastbound,

We're heading back to North Lincolnshire, a little town on the Humber Estuary called Barton, as i have work in Hull, so will commute over the the Bridge.
We are from Grimsby and have family there and thats only 20 miles from Barton, so a nice choice we think.[/QUOTE]

i lived 10 mins from Barton and will be heading back in 15 days
Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sans
Hi Eastbound,

We are from Grimsby and have family there and thats only 20 miles from Barton, so a nice choice we think.
i lived 10 mins from Barton and will be heading back in 15 days[/QUOTE]

Hi Majhono and Sans

looks like your both gonna be in the same area this could have the makings of the 1st Lincs Expat meet up
Best wishes for a safe return to you both
EB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.