Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Farnborough and Fleet, Hampshire...

Farnborough and Fleet, Hampshire...

Old May 4th 2009, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light
Question Farnborough and Fleet, Hampshire...

I have been researching areas back in the UK for a while now. I am originally from London and would like to stay within striking distance. OH does not want to go North.

We like the idea of Guildford, Surrey but finances may not permit it so have started to broaden the search. Does anyone know much about the Farnborough or Fleet area at all. As it's just over the border in Hampshire the house prices are lower but it still seems to offer easy access on paper to Guildford, London and the South Coast.

After living in Perth we would not want to be too rural but would like easy access to the countryside. Good secondary schools are a must as well. I have heard that it can be difficult to gain places at decent state schools in Surrey due to the demand, would this be the same in Hampshire as well?

Any views good and bad welcome....

Thanks in advance
Old May 4th 2009, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Farnborough and Fleet, Hampshire...

We used to live in Frimley Green - a hop, skip and stone's throw from Farnborough, and used to work in Guildford which was an easy enough commute with several routes available to get around any traffic hotspots.

Farnborough always seemed OK to me - presumably built mostly in the 70's due to the style of housing frequently available. Bit too close to Aldershot for my liking (sorry Aldershot folk), but again, easy access to a bit of space and greenery, and main routes for Guildford or London.

Used to have friends in Fleet - I quite like the town - and it always seemed a nice town.

Sorry - I have little knowledge of the Hampshire schools - can offer a tiny insight to Surrey schools. What ages are your children and are you needing High Schools? That might be the crunch!
Old May 5th 2009, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Ann.

Yes I do need high schools, kids are 12 and 9. We are quite open to any areas in and around Surrey within reason.

Don't know the area too well as we used to live in Essex before emigrating but will be doing a reccie to the UK soon. Just wanted to get an idea before we went so we had somewhere to start. Definately don't like the sound of 70's housing so may have to rethink Farnborough.
My OH is not too keen on Aldershot either (he knows the town as he is ex T.A.) so will probably have to avoid any barrack towns.

Hopefully someone will come along with some more ideas.
Old May 5th 2009, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stm1971
I have been researching areas back in the UK for a while now. I am originally from London and would like to stay within striking distance. OH does not want to go North.

We like the idea of Guildford, Surrey but finances may not permit it so have started to broaden the search. Does anyone know much about the Farnborough or Fleet area at all. As it's just over the border in Hampshire the house prices are lower but it still seems to offer easy access on paper to Guildford, London and the South Coast.

After living in Perth we would not want to be too rural but would like easy access to the countryside. Good secondary schools are a must as well. I have heard that it can be difficult to gain places at decent state schools in Surrey due to the demand, would this be the same in Hampshire as well?

Any views good and bad welcome....

Thanks in advance

Im from Fleet and my sister still lives there. Its a lovely place, and in opinion nicer than Farnborough.

Both high schools Calthorpe park and Courtmoor are good, though i think Courtmoor does better with results ! Plenty of pubs and restaurants in the area also.

Nicky
Old May 5th 2009, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers, Nicky. On paper we do prefer the look of Fleet, good to hear a favourable opinion of it. I have looked at both of those school websites as well and they seem fine. Really hard to get a true picture and feel for a school from the internet though.

Guess we won't really know until we actually walk the streets!

Thanks again.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, Nicky. On paper we do prefer the look of Fleet, good to hear a favourable opinion of it. I have looked at both of those school websites as well and they seem fine. Really hard to get a true picture and feel for a school from the internet though.

Guess we won't really know until we actually walk the streets!

Thanks again.

No problem, If you need any other info about the area just PM me

Nicky
Old May 5th 2009, 10:42 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Good lord - steer clear of Farn-bog-horror if you can. I spent a few of my teenage/ early 20's there and it really isn't the best of places. All it's good for is the airshow, and that only comes along every other year. My main gripe with the place is just the general lack of things to do in the town itself. As I last remember it, the town centre has a high street of charityshops and a small mall with an Asda. All around is commuter-ville housing, and lots of traffic.

Frimley is much better, and with more character to boot. Fleet's good too - and Fleet Pond is a great walk to blow away the cobwebs.

Good luck!
Old May 5th 2009, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

newcomer will become famous soon enough

We have a house in Farnham, much nicer than Farnborough and Fleet and excellent schools.
Old May 6th 2009, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in the Court Moor area of Fleet before moving to Auckland and would go back tomorrow. Court Moor school is excellent in my opinion. NIce walks along the Basingstoke Canal. Church Crookham and Crookham Village also lovely. Other places nearby worth considering, Odiham, Warnborough, Hartley Wintney. Definitely would avoid Farnborough. Farnham town is also lovely but there are areas to avoid as with with all places. Good luck.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smudge1
I lived in the Court Moor area of Fleet before moving to Auckland and would go back tomorrow. Court Moor school is excellent in my opinion. NIce walks along the Basingstoke Canal. Church Crookham and Crookham Village also lovely. Other places nearby worth considering, Odiham, Warnborough, Hartley Wintney. Definitely would avoid Farnborough. Farnham town is also lovely but there are areas to avoid as with with all places. Good luck.
Thanks for your help, we will actually be staying just outside of Farnham during our reccie so will be close enough to all the places mentioned.

Didn't think picking a new area would be so hard, sometimes I think it would be easier to just move back to where we left!!
Old May 7th 2009, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by smudge1

I agree Smudge ! I really miss my walks along the canal and stopping off at the Fox and Hounds for a drink !

Nicky
Old May 7th 2009, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help, we will actually be staying just outside of Farnham during our reccie so will be close enough to all the places mentioned.

Didn't think picking a new area would be so hard, sometimes I think it would be easier to just move back to where we left!!
I lived just outside Farnham, in a village called Lower Bourne. Top notch
Old May 12th 2009, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I agree Smudge ! I really miss my walks along the canal and stopping off at the Fox and Hounds for a drink !

Nicky
Fox & Hounds...now you're talking! Best Ham off the Bone, Egg & Chips in the world!! ;-)
Old May 12th 2009, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ann m
We used to live in Frimley Green - a hop, skip and stone's throw from Farnborough, and used to work in Guildford which was an easy enough commute with several routes available to get around any traffic hotspots.

Farnborough always seemed OK to me - presumably built mostly in the 70's due to the style of housing frequently available. Bit too close to Aldershot for my liking (sorry Aldershot folk), but again, easy access to a bit of space and greenery, and main routes for Guildford or London.

Used to have friends in Fleet - I quite like the town - and it always seemed a nice town.

Sorry - I have little knowledge of the Hampshire schools - can offer a tiny insight to Surrey schools. What ages are your children and are you needing High Schools? That might be the crunch!

Small world Anne....We lived for a while in Bagshot before moving back to Germany...When we moved (briefly) back to the UK before heading off to Canada we lived in Frimley...Son number two was born at Frimley Park Hospital.

Got to admit I much prefer Calgary - for the moment at least!! Do miss the Frimley Waitrose though!!!
Lisa
Old May 12th 2009, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lisa - yes, I have fond enough memories of Surrey Heath - it suited us well at the time. Small world indeed