Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Family Sponsorship (Similar to US Marriage Visa)?

Family Sponsorship (Similar to US Marriage Visa)?

Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryStampeder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family Sponsorship (Similar to US Marriage Visa)?

As someone that came to the US using my (then fiancé)'s parents as co-sponsors, I wonder if such a system would work in the UK? Say if a British citizen wanted to return to the UK together with his non-EU spouse, family already in the UK could become co-sponsors for the application, it seems to work quite well in the US. As far as I know right now there's nothing like this in place, I wanted other peoples opinions, do you think it would be a good system, if not, why?
Old Dec 12th 2016, 2:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Sponsorship (Similar to US Marriage Visa)?

Originally Posted by CalgaryStampeder
As someone that came to the US using my (then fiancé)'s parents as co-sponsors, I wonder if such a system would work in the UK? Say if a British citizen wanted to return to the UK together with his non-EU spouse, family already in the UK could become co-sponsors for the application, it seems to work quite well in the US. As far as I know right now there's nothing like this in place, I wanted other peoples opinions, do you think it would be a good system, if not, why?
As this seems to be a discussion thread I am moving it over to the general UK forum.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 2:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Family cosponsorship (assistance to meet the financial requirements) for foreign spouses coming in to the UK was stopped a few years ago, apparently to make it more difficult to arrange a visa for a foreign spouse. Given the feelings about immigration in the UK, I can't imagine it will be reintroduced.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 12th 2016 at 3:01 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 7:34 am
Just Joined

timopaul is an unknown quantity at this point

I am moving back to the UK with my wife from Japan next year, I don`t have a job yet and so we need the £62,500 to get her visa, my father has kindly offered to sponsor her, similar to your situation CalgaryStampeder, I found this link on the uk gov website:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...rship-form.pdf

It looks like they still allow sponsorship, though there is an awful lot of paper work.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 10:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timopaul
..... It looks like they still allow sponsorship, though there is an awful lot of paper work.
No, sorry, additional financial support is no longer permitted for spouse visa applications.

Form SU07/12 is mainly for dependent adults from certain continents being sponsored and supported by relatives who are already living in the UK

It is not to be used for a spouse visa application.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 10:54 am
Just Joined

I see, so it would have to be a blood relative of her`s living in the UK who could sponsor her, I guess even if my wife took a different visa she could not be sponsored by my family, if I understand correctly. So the only way is actually to have £62,500 in savings/banking if I am to bring my wife over to the UK before I get a job?
Old Dec 14th 2016, 10:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I see, so it would have to be a blood relative of her`s living in the UK who could sponsor her, I guess even if my wife took a different visa she could not be sponsored by my family, if I understand correctly. So the only way is actually to have £62,500 in savings/banking if I am to bring my wife over to the UK before I get a job?
If your relatives want to help then they could GIVE you the money to meet the savings requirement, but it MUST be a gift and remain in your account. It would have to have some sort of letter saying that it is gift and that it doesn't need to be repaid.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 11:06 am
Just Joined

I see, thank you for that advice, that makes some things clearer, I feel like it is foreign language at times trying to figure out what I need to do to get her visa sorted.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 12:23 pm

.... So the only way is actually to have £62,5400 in savings/banking if I am to bring my wife over to the UK before I get a job?
If you currently have a job paying at least £18,600 overseas, all you need is an offer of a job in the UK paying at least £18,600 and starting within three months of your arrival. If you have some savings then the income requirement is reduced in proportion - note, the first £16,000 of savings doesn't count.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 14th 2016 at 12:26 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 2:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I see, thank you for that advice, that makes some things clearer, I feel like it is foreign language at times trying to figure out what I need to do to get her visa sorted.
Spouse Immigration-UK : British Expat Wiki

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

Last edited by not2old; Dec 14th 2016 at 2:19 pm. Reason: edited
Old Dec 14th 2016, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Given the current political climate I think immigration is likely to get harder, not easier.

Last edited by scot47; Dec 14th 2016 at 2:52 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 2:35 pm

I see, so it would have to be a blood relative of her`s living in the UK who could sponsor her, ....
Not just a blood relative, she would have to be their "dependant". I presume this means that the dependant would have to be physically or mentally incapacitated to the point where they cannot work, or to be aged to the point where they are unable to care for themselves.