Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is Family the only reason?

Is Family the only reason?

Old Jan 8th 2006, 2:19 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is Family the only reason?

Originally Posted by eurotramp
So many times I hear that people missing family and friends when they go and live in an other country and give this as a reason to go back.

Is that really the mane reason, or is it sometimes an excuse for something else??

We dont have much Family and no friends in the Uk, would that make us perfect for going to live some where else, I wonder sometimes?
We moved back to be closer to family BUT for me the main reason I wanted to return was to feel normal, not wake up feeling I was somewhere I didn't want to be. I wanted to feel familiar with my surroundings again, I wanted to feel sane and not be bored.
I knew it would be different living in another country but nothing can prepare you for it apart from living there. For some its ok and other like me it would never have felt like home.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Family the only reason?

Originally Posted by JoD
Alot of things are just as expensive as back in the UK and it's silly things like having to go in several different shops just to get your shopping (you can't buy alcohol in the supermarkets and different shops sell different things - i.e. clothes - it's not like say Asda or Tesco in the UK where you can get groceries, clothes, alcohol all in one shop).
Hehe... can't buy alcohol in supermarkets in Maryland either. When I first came here a lady in the supermarket that my wife knew asked me if we had shops that big in England. The place is about half the size of a decent Tesco! They seem to think we all trudge from the greengrocer's to the butcher's, etc every day. Mind you, the thought of being able to do that is quite appealing right now. Just to get anywhere on foot in fact.

It's definitely family for me. The wife's family are here but seem to be dropping off like flies (well, moving away, not actually dying) and we feel we'll have more family support in the UK. There are hundreds of other little reasons like the shops, television, familiarity, etc but those are superficial and obviously only reasons for me to want to return and not for my wife to move away from her homeland.