Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is Family the only reason?

Is Family the only reason?

Old Jan 7th 2006, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Is Family the only reason?

So many times I hear that people missing family and friends when they go and live in an other country and give this as a reason to go back.

Is that really the mane reason, or is it sometimes an excuse for something else??

We dont have much Family and no friends in the Uk, would that make us perfect for going to live some where else, I wonder sometimes?
Old Jan 7th 2006, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Family the only reason?

Originally Posted by eurotramp
So many times I hear that people missing family and friends when they go and live in an other country and give this as a reason to go back.

Is that really the mane reason, or is it sometimes an excuse for something else??

We dont have much Family and no friends in the Uk, would that make us perfect for going to live some where else, I wonder sometimes?
hiya love your avatar nope I have no family in the UK but close friends oh and my life and my sanity...that's all
Old Jan 7th 2006, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it can be missing everything that is familiar, and knowing that friends and family aren't just round the corner if you need them. There is so much to learn when you move to a new country and it can be draining at times and this is when you realise that you have no one to bounce ideas off as new friends haven't the same relationship with you that friends you have known decades do.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

We have not lived for the last 12 years in the UK, nothing will be familiar.
That would be a perfect chance to go somewhere else..do we make a mistake to come to the UK?
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

That would be a perfect chance to go somewhere else..do we make a mistake to come to the UK?

good question if only we had that crystal ball ...good luck
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:13 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

It's only a mistake if that's your mindset.

It's a case of somewhere being what you make of it regardless of who you know and what you miss.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

where are you now??
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:43 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all

For us, missing family and friends is a big part of it, but also the culture here in Canada is very different (although we knew that when we came, but sometimes the reality is different). It is very car orientated, hardly anywhere is within walking distance for us. Alot of things are just as expensive as back in the UK and it's silly things like having to go in several different shops just to get your shopping (you can't buy alcohol in the supermarkets and different shops sell different things - i.e. clothes - it's not like say Asda or Tesco in the UK where you can get groceries, clothes, alcohol all in one shop).

Having said that, we don't hate it here and we have a lovely house and neighbours, so we're very undecided about what to do.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TruBrit
where are you now??
We live in Belgium at the moment and I hate so much...before that it was Germany, Holland and a year in Dorset.

Hubby was for 12 years in the army and works now for NATO here in Belgium and got a job near London working for NATO...it was my wish.
We could had gone to Heidelberg in Germany....and lived like Kings with his income....near London is just enough to life on.
I wanted to go to England for the Kids and for their education...and I like the UK.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoD
For us, missing family and friends is a big part of it, but also the culture here in Canada is very different (although we knew that when we came, but sometimes the reality is different). It is very car orientated, hardly anywhere is within walking distance for us. Alot of things are just as expensive as back in the UK and it's silly things like having to go in several different shops just to get your shopping (you can't buy alcohol in the supermarkets and different shops sell different things - i.e. clothes - it's not like say Asda or Tesco in the UK where you can get groceries, clothes, alcohol all in one shop).

Having said that, we don't hate it here and we have a lovely house and neighbours, so we're very undecided about what to do.
We have relatives in Ontario and wanted to go there, but after a visit we decided not to go..we found it a bit to prudish..and other things. A big house would not have changed that.

We went through a lot of possibilities and countries...but came to the decision that the UK would be the best for us ?
Old Jan 7th 2006, 7:17 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in the UK but want to return to where I'm from (west coast BC, Canada) and it is proximity to my family that is one major obstacle that prevents me from jumping on the next flight back. I've thoroughly enjoyed having the entire North American continent and the Atlantic Ocean between myself and them. I'm actually considering moving back and not telling them!

My reasons for wanting to return there are related to things I want to be involved in (social/political issues, recreational activities) and because of the feel of the place. It just suits me and I feel 'right' there - if that makes sense. It's defintely NOT to be closer to family.

Good luck on figuring it out!

Last edited by hot wasabi peas; Jan 7th 2006 at 7:50 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hiya love your avatar nope I have no family in the UK but close friends oh and my life and my sanity...that's all
TruBrits said it in a nut shell for me, good friends, the way of life I know and love, thats what will keep me sane going back home for good
Old Jan 8th 2006, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

for me, the family i have that are most important are the people i live with whatever country im in - OH, kids and dog.
Parents etc, of course i love, but i did leave them in the first place to come here so as far as im concerened my main focus is to keep the 5 of us living together as a unit.
if we went back to the uk, it'd be fantastic to be nearer them - a big bonus but i dont think thats just it for me. if i imagine buying a house and making it nice etc, its always a uk one - i just cant see myself making house/home here. so that tells me its not home. i could go through the millions of reasons why its not home and the uk is, but if i cant even imagine wanting to make the house im in now comfortable but can imagine living in a wreck in the uk and it feeling like home, that tells me something.
so, for me its not the family/friends left behind totally - its the ones u live with mainly and where u feel u could all settle for the future.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chance to be
for me, the family i have that are most important are the people i live with whatever country im in - OH, kids and dog.
Parents etc, of course i love, but i did leave them in the first place to come here so as far as im concerened my main focus is to keep the 5 of us living together as a unit.
if we went back to the uk, it'd be fantastic to be nearer them - a big bonus but i dont think thats just it for me. if i imagine buying a house and making it nice etc, its always a uk one - i just cant see myself making house/home here. so that tells me its not home. i could go through the millions of reasons why its not home and the uk is, but if i cant even imagine wanting to make the house im in now comfortable but can imagine living in a wreck in the uk and it feeling like home, that tells me something.
so, for me its not the family/friends left behind totally - its the ones u live with mainly and where u feel u could all settle for the future.
That could be me...we live here in are really nice 3 bedroom detached house almost in the woods and we paid 100k for it[IMG][/IMG] hubby loves its job.....but I hate it here. It feels like my life has stopped the moment we came here. Plus they all speak french here , it will be so nice to just ask for stuff in the shop......
I feel the UK is somewhere we all could be happy and settle.
I feel so happy just thinking that i will leave this place.....
Old Jan 8th 2006, 1:40 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

As I only have a small number of family and friends that I keep in touch with, that's not my only motivator (though it is a very important one). I'm not like some people who have posted here who will be going back to an area and situation where they'll be popping around regularly to hang out with everyone they left behind. Equally important for me is the way of life (I could list it all, but I've already done that elsewhere).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.