Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Fallen between the EAD and SSN stools

Fallen between the EAD and SSN stools

Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

speedyvespa is on a distinguished road
Default Fallen between the EAD and SSN stools

Went to the Social Security office today in St. Paul to chase up my application which I made in September, armed with the receipt number given on that visit. I'd been previously advised that it was my EAD processing that was all that needed in order to complete my application, and the SSA were awaiting confirmation that this had been done.

Before my visit today (just to backtrack a little), I rang to see if they could tell me over the phone. Much to my alarm, the operator couldn't find any trace of my application - he even asked me what the person who dealt with my original application looked like so he could chase it up with her. This was not filling me with confidence.

The lady who dealt with me was very courteous and helpful, gawd bless her. She did a session of stabbing at her keyboard and scowling at the monitor, and then announced that because it had been over 60 days since I made the original application, it had 'fallen off' the system and a new application would have to be made. Fortunately for me, she could expedite my case by mailing the BCIS directly - she said it was unacceptable that I should have waited over 30 days, let alone 60, 90, 100+ days. She rewrote my application online while I was there, took a print of my passport, I-94 and EAD, and told me that I would have my card within 2 weeks, even if she had to walk to Chicago herself and demand the BCIS do something. However, she said that they are very good with dealing with expedited cases of this variety and it usually takes a week.

The conclusion of this tale is this: if I hadn't have chased up my application by physically visiting the local office, my application would have been in limbo. The SSA have a 60-day drop-dead processing timeframe, and the BCIS aren't expected to process an EAD until between 60 and 90 days. She informed me that if the BCIS respond with confirmation that an EAD has been granted, then the SSA have no application case to apply it to.

Somebody isn't talking to somebody else.

Moral of the story - not sure, other than don't assume the system is working without your constant intervention.

- Mark

P.S. She also told me that although an application for a driver's license states that a SSN must be provided, the Minnesota DMV will issue one with any two 'prime' forms of identification - in my case, my EAD and a passport, though there are other acceptable documents. She seems to believe that provided you can prove beyond any doubt that you are who you say you are, then they're not particular about getting an SSN. I will be putting this to the test in the next few days - stay tuned.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

SirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fallen between the EAD and SSN stools

Originally posted by speedyvespa
Went to the Social Security office today in St. Paul to chase up my application which I made in September, armed with the receipt number given on that visit. I'd been previously advised that it was my EAD processing that was all that needed in order to complete my application, and the SSA were awaiting confirmation that this had been done.

Before my visit today (just to backtrack a little), I rang to see if they could tell me over the phone. Much to my alarm, the operator couldn't find any trace of my application - he even asked me what the person who dealt with my original application looked like so he could chase it up with her. This was not filling me with confidence.

The lady who dealt with me was very courteous and helpful, gawd bless her. She did a session of stabbing at her keyboard and scowling at the monitor, and then announced that because it had been over 60 days since I made the original application, it had 'fallen off' the system and a new application would have to be made. Fortunately for me, she could expedite my case by mailing the BCIS directly - she said it was unacceptable that I should have waited over 30 days, let alone 60, 90, 100+ days. She rewrote my application online while I was there, took a print of my passport, I-94 and EAD, and told me that I would have my card within 2 weeks, even if she had to walk to Chicago herself and demand the BCIS do something. However, she said that they are very good with dealing with expedited cases of this variety and it usually takes a week.

The conclusion of this tale is this: if I hadn't have chased up my application by physically visiting the local office, my application would have been in limbo. The SSA have a 60-day drop-dead processing timeframe, and the BCIS aren't expected to process an EAD until between 60 and 90 days. She informed me that if the BCIS respond with confirmation that an EAD has been granted, then the SSA have no application case to apply it to.

Somebody isn't talking to somebody else.

Moral of the story - not sure, other than don't assume the system is working without your constant intervention.

- Mark

P.S. She also told me that although an application for a driver's license states that a SSN must be provided, the Minnesota DMV will issue one with any two 'prime' forms of identification - in my case, my EAD and a passport, though there are other acceptable documents. She seems to believe that provided you can prove beyond any doubt that you are who you say you are, then they're not particular about getting an SSN. I will be putting this to the test in the next few days - stay tuned.

FYI Mark, that happened to me about the SSN-when I changed from maiden to married name 3 years ago my application (which had been done in person at the local SSA office) somehow fell thru the cracks. I called and spoke with a very sympathetic and about her business gal. She made an appointment for me and we did a new appication- I got a letter from her telling me if I hadn't received it in 2 weeks to let her know- I got it in a week! A pity she couldn't have been cloned.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 12:37 pm
Roland Perry

In message <[email protected]>, speedyvespa
<member6884@british_expats.com> writes
    >P.S. She also told me that although an application for a driver's
    > license states that a SSN must be provided, the Minnesota DMV will
    > issue one with any two 'prime' forms of identification - in my
    > case, my EAD and a passport, though there are other acceptable
    > documents. She seems to believe that provided you can prove beyond
    > any doubt that you are who you say you are, then they're not
    > particular about getting an SSN.

SSN is not needed as an ID, it's a separate program to trace runaway
dads who aren't making child support payments. In theory, individual DMV
have no discretion regarding the SSN requirement - unless you can get a
letter from the SS office saying you absolutely don't qualify for an
SSN.
--
Roland Perry

Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

jg1012002 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be surprised but after my recent dealings with the SSA, I'm not. When we completed our forms, we checked the box that asked if we wanted to apply for a social security number. The officer at the port of entry told my husband he should receive his social security number in 30 days -- no need to go to the SSA office and apply because we had checked that little box on the forms.

Me being the disbeliever that I am with our government, followed up after two weeks and, of course, SSA said we had to go in person. We did and after about 4 weeks we received it (funny we received the conditional green card first). We were so happy to finally have this little blue card -- we had grand illusions of opening a bank account, driver's license, applying for jobs -- you know the ususal. We went to open his checking account about three weeks later -- we were politely told that his social security number had never been issued by three different banks -- thus implying we had a fake social security number. Stupidly we asked what we could do because I didn't think the SSA issued fake numbers. Everyone said WAIT. Now normally I am a patient person but this process has pushed me beyond my level of patience.

So we go to the SSA the following morning. The clerk punches her keyboard and politely informs me that the number was issued on December 11th. She then proceeds to tell me that there was nothing she could give me to prove his social security number was legit or stating that the number had been issued by them. According to her, the credit bureaus such as equifax, are updated every Wednesday and his number should have been updated on their system by now (3 Wednesday later). I promptly and very politely tell her that she needs to talk to a manager or someone else because I need documentation stating this number is legit. After about 45 minutes, two supervisors later, they give me a letter stating that in fact the number was issued. It seems they have trouble with the numbers beginning with 6xx and she is complaining to me that this is causing her unnecessary grief. I really wanted to tell her she is causing me unnecessary grief because it was their office that issued the damn number that won't update -- but alas I did refrain.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:27 pm
Roland Perry

In message <[email protected]>, jg1012002
<member12056@british_expats.com> writes
    >When we completed our forms, we checked the box that asked if we wanted
    >to apply for a social security number. The officer at the port of entry
    >told my husband he should receive his social security number in 30 days
    >-- no need to go to the SSA office and apply because we had checked that
    >little box on the forms.

I'm sure I had a similar experience. However, about three months later
nothing had arrived, and so I went to the local SSA Office. They had no
record, but I filled in an application form there and then, and they
sent me a number in the mail about a week later.
--
Roland Perry

Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:01 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

- Mark

Toally agree with this. I applied for a name change with SS after I got married, and after almost 3 months, their records still weren't updated. I wrote a rather strongly worded letter to USCIS in Miami, and about a week and a half later, hey presto.....my name had FINALLY been updated in the SS system. Bearing in mind that USCIS had already acknowledged my name change when they issued my 1 yr EAD in my married name, the length of time they took to notify SS was beyond a joke.

Glad to hear that your persistence paid off, Mark. I can't relax when I'm waiting on USCIS, and I constantly feel the need to follow up with them.

Kate. xxxxx
Old Jan 21st 2004, 7:06 pm
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light

The lady who dealt with me was very courteous and helpful, gawd bless her. She did a session of stabbing at her keyboard and scowling at the monitor, and then announced that because it had been over 60 days since I made the original application, it had 'fallen off' the system and a new application would have to be made. Fortunately for me, she could expedite my case by mailing the BCIS directly - she said it was unacceptable that I should have waited over 30 days, let alone 60, 90, 100+ days. She rewrote my application online while I was there, took a print of my passport, I-94 and EAD, and told me that I would have my card within 2 weeks...
Same thing happened to me, only in Philly.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 8:11 pm
Michael D. Young

speedyvespa <member6884@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

The conclusion of this tale is this: if I hadn't have chased up my
    > application by physically visiting the local office, my application
    > would have been in limbo. The SSA have a 60-day drop-dead processing
    > timeframe, and the BCIS aren't expected to process an EAD until between
    > 60 and 90 days. She informed me that if the BCIS respond with
    > confirmation that an EAD has been granted, then the SSA have no
    > application case to apply it to.

The application should stay pending for 120 days, but this is why I
say to go back every couple of weeks to have the office query SAVE
and/or ask if a G-845 has been sent and if it has come back.

Look at EM-02091

http://policy.ssa.gov/public/referen...ttocategory=EM

"You may leave the SSN application pend in the system with the EVC of
"S" until the alien returns with new documents (which will need to be
verified with INS) or the application drops off the system after 120
days."

Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:28 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Michael D. Young
speedyvespa <member6884@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

The conclusion of this tale is this: if I hadn't have chased up my
    > application by physically visiting the local office, my application
    > would have been in limbo. The SSA have a 60-day drop-dead processing
    > timeframe, and the BCIS aren't expected to process an EAD until between
    > 60 and 90 days. She informed me that if the BCIS respond with
    > confirmation that an EAD has been granted, then the SSA have no
    > application case to apply it to.

The application should stay pending for 120 days, but this is why I
say to go back every couple of weeks to have the office query SAVE
and/or ask if a G-845 has been sent and if it has come back.

Look at EM-02091

http://policy.ssa.gov/public/referen...ttocategory=EM

"You may leave the SSN application pend in the system with the EVC of
"S" until the alien returns with new documents (which will need to be
verified with INS) or the application drops off the system after 120
days."

Michael,
Basic advice is to wait til EAD in hand, give it 10 days to be entered in SAVE system before applying for SSN and then check back every few weeks?
Old Jan 25th 2004, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

JubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant future

Originally posted by cindyabs
Michael,
Basic advice is to wait til EAD in hand, give it 10 days to be entered in SAVE system before applying for SSN and then check back every few weeks?
When you file in person (as you must for an initial SS card), you can tell straightaway if your INS status is in the SAVE system. Because if they don't get your info in there, they will photocopy all the stuff you have provided, including EAD etc.

I made a very stupid mistake and applied for my SS number only two days after getting my EAD, no matching data in SAVE, incompetent employee who wanted to know where my entry stub was (INS has my I-94W!), so off to verification it went. This was back on the 11th of November and no sign of it yet. Thanks to the great info in this thread I'm going to go to the office next week and ask them to recheck the SAVE database. When I call the national SSA number, I usually get some crap about "undergoing verification". But then again sometimes they can't find my application at all.

BTW I recently got a job, I showed them the EAD and told them the SSN was pending verification by INS, that was fine with them. Employer just created a unique SSN-like number for their records, till I get my real one.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Hansey is an unknown quantity at this point

If I may piggyback on this discussion, could anyone tell me if you can phone the SS office to find out if someone's INS status is in the system before traipsing down to the office to apply for the number? My fiance will be arriving on Thursday, and I definitely would like to get him a number before we get married since it would seem that it's easier, but I'd rather not take multiple trips to the SS office if it can be avoided, since I'll have to take time out of work each time to do it. Will they tell us that information over the customer service line?
Old Jan 26th 2004, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

JubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Hansey
If I may piggyback on this discussion, could anyone tell me if you can phone the SS office to find out if someone's INS status is in the system before traipsing down to the office to apply for the number? My fiance will be arriving on Thursday, and I definitely would like to get him a number before we get married since it would seem that it's easier, but I'd rather not take multiple trips to the SS office if it can be avoided, since I'll have to take time out of work each time to do it. Will they tell us that information over the customer service line?
I would say that you would need to have at least filed an SS-5 (application for social security number) before they could/would give out that info on the phone. However the phone center people are very inconsistent, one will tell you something completely different from the next one.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 12:16 pm
Michael D. Young

Hansey wrote:

> If I may piggyback on this discussion, could anyone tell me if you can
    > phone the SS office to find out if someone's INS status is in the system
    > before traipsing down to the office to apply for the number? My fiance
    > will be arriving on Thursday, and I definitely would like to get him a
    > number before we get married since it would seem that it's easier, but
    > I'd rather not take multiple trips to the SS office if it can be
    > avoided, since I'll have to take time out of work each time to do it.
    > Will they tell us that information over the customer service line?

No

Old Jan 26th 2004, 7:57 pm
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light

After last monday's visit to the ssn office, my ssn card arrived in the mail today.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by JubJub

BTW I recently got a job, I showed them the EAD and told them the SSN was pending verification by INS, that was fine with them. Employer just created a unique SSN-like number for their records, till I get my real one.
Be careful with this strategy. One early employer of my husband used his A# from his EAD in the place of his SSN, and it took us forever to get the tax witholdings straightened out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.