Reload this Page >

Experiences moving teens back to UK

Experiences moving teens back to UK

Old Jun 23rd 2021, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Ruby123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experiences moving teens back to UK

Hi all,

I’m wondering if anyone could share their experiences of moving an 18 year old back to UK. My son will have lived in Canada most of his life, but we would like to move back when he finishes high school. Canada has been good but I’ve never really settled and now with aging parents I feel that 2023 would make the most sense.

My son is on board to come with us, my daughter will stay in Canada to attend law school (at least that’s the plan). I’m curious to know how other teens faired moving back at that age.

Thank you,
Ruby

Old Jun 23rd 2021, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experiences moving teens back to UK

Originally Posted by Ruby123
Hi all,

I’m wondering if anyone could share their experiences of moving an 18 year old back to UK. My son will have lived in Canada most of his life, but we would like to move back when he finishes high school. Canada has been good but I’ve never really settled and now with aging parents I feel that 2023 would make the most sense.

My son is on board to come with us, my daughter will stay in Canada to attend law school (at least that’s the plan). I’m curious to know how other teens faired moving back at that age.

Thank you,
Ruby
We did the other way round - moved with a 16 and 12yo to Canada. I think a lot depends on the attitude of your kids - if they’re happy about the move, it’s likely to work out. A positive attitude goes a long way!
Your son will be a dual citizen so I presume has British passport and you’ll be able to get an NI number for him which will allow him to work.
Are you aware that he won’t necessarily qualify as a home student for further education? Usually three years residence is required to be classed as a home rather than international student and this is reflected in the fees.
Old Jun 24th 2021, 11:49 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

did
Hi all,

Thank you,
Ruby

My son was born here, but decided he wanted to do uni in the UK. We are hoping to move back in 2022, so he had to go ahead of us. He had been to the UK with me pretty much every year on holiday, which of course isn't the same as living there but he always felt comfortable there. Your son will have the advantage of moving with you, rather than effectively by himself as my son did, particularly after covid put an end to trips (I haven't seen him in person for a year and a half), and he's still managed it. I think the biggest adjustment for my son, apart from the obvious one of leaving home which yours won't have, was discovering the "warty" side of British culture, as opposed to his holiday experiences. He grew up here just outside Chicago, so he wasn't overly sheltered, but he had never experienced British racism, for example, and he was a bit disappointed to find that not all British people are lovely people. But he did manage, and he has matured a lot over the last two years. And he's acquired a girlfriend, so things seem ok.

18 isn't a bad year at all to make the change. High school is over, work/uni/apprencticeship/training/whatever has not yet started, so it's a natural new phase in life. He will have you to cushion the change. He will sound Canadian/be and therefore a bit exotic, so always a good conversation-starter in the pubs, etc. He will probably have to explain countless times that he is from Canada, not the US - people won't know the accents. But he will be a man of the world, living in/with at least two cultures.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jun 24th 2021 at 11:52 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2021, 12:41 am
Just Joined

Hi Twitcher, thank you for your reply. At the moment my son is very positive about moving and is looking forward to it. He feels a connection to ‘back home’ but it will be very different for him. I think you’re right - positivity does go a long way. Pleased to hear that your teens settled in well.
Old Jun 25th 2021, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
did

My son was born here, but decided he wanted to do uni in the UK. We are hoping to move back in 2022, so he had to go ahead of us. He had been to the UK with me pretty much every year on holiday, which of course isn't the same as living there but he always felt comfortable there. Your son will have the advantage of moving with you, rather than effectively by himself as my son did, particularly after covid put an end to trips (I haven't seen him in person for a year and a half), and he's still managed it. I think the biggest adjustment for my son, apart from the obvious one of leaving home which yours won't have, was discovering the "warty" side of British culture, as opposed to his holiday experiences. He grew up here just outside Chicago, so he wasn't overly sheltered, but he had never experienced British racism, for example, and he was a bit disappointed to find that not all British people are lovely people. But he did manage, and he has matured a lot over the last two years. And he's acquired a girlfriend, so things seem ok.

18 isn't a bad year at all to make the change. High school is over, work/uni/apprencticeship/training/whatever has not yet started, so it's a natural new phase in life. He will have you to cushion the change. He will sound Canadian/be and therefore a bit exotic, so always a good conversation-starter in the pubs, etc. He will probably have to explain countless times that he is from Canada, not the US - people won't know the accents. But he will be a man of the world, living in/with at least two cultures.
Thank you so much for your encouraging reply. You’re absolutely right about the natural change; we’ve discussed how after high school friends all embark on their own paths in life and tend to see each other less. Like you, we have visited on an almost yearly basis but living there will be quite different for him, especially the warty side of culture - although he assures me he’s seen ‘it all’ in high school…

Very brave of your son to go over by himself, and really pleased that it’s worked out for him. Best of luck on your planned return in 2022.

Old Jun 25th 2021, 1:39 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your encouraging reply. You’re absolutely right about the natural change; we’ve discussed how after high school friends all embark on their own paths in life and tend to see each other less. Like you, we have visited on an almost yearly basis but living there will be quite different for him, especially the warty side of culture - although he assures me he’s seen ‘it all’ in high school…

Very brave of your son to go over by himself, and really pleased that it’s worked out for him. Best of luck on your planned return in 2022.
This is the great thing about being 18. You know absolutely everything, while as time goes on you end up knowing less and less

He'll be fine though - moving with the family will make it all much easier. And there is such a thing as travel, so if he wants summer holiday in Canada or whatever, that might be doable.
Old Jun 25th 2021, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thank you,
Ruby
Hi our youngest was 17 when he left Australia (with us his family) he started at college and found it easy to settle in as most students were "new" and did not know others in the class, he'd spent most of his life in Australia and we had a very nice life there and it was a mutual decision to return "home" to England. He has since gone on to university (made another circle of friends there) has a job teaching (another different set of friends).has a lovely girlfriend and he's happy being home and glad he came back....no real problems to mention...maybe me at first....I kept asking if everything "was okay" etc...he use to role his eyes at me lol so I stopped asking and let him "get on" with his life...I did ask him a few months ago (first time since we arrived back) if he regretted coming back here and he said "not at all" You just have to take the lead and stay positive and any problems deal with them if and when they happen. Good luck with everything I hope all goes well
Old Jun 26th 2021, 2:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi our youngest was 17 when he left Australia (with us his family) he started at college and found it easy to settle in as most students were "new" and did not know others in the class, he'd spent most of his life in Australia and we had a very nice life there and it was a mutual decision to return "home" to England. He has since gone on to university (made another circle of friends there) has a job teaching (another different set of friends).has a lovely girlfriend and he's happy being home and glad he came back....no real problems to mention...maybe me at first....I kept asking if everything "was okay" etc...he use to role his eyes at me lol so I stopped asking and let him "get on" with his life...I did ask him a few months ago (first time since we arrived back) if he regretted coming back here and he said "not at all" You just have to take the lead and stay positive and any problems deal with them if and when they happen. Good luck with everything I hope all goes well
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with this, and your advice. It really makes me feel much better about what lies ahead. He will attend college and look to join a local football team and so I’m hoping he will make friends easily. It’s very reassuring to hear that your son adapted well despite growing up somewhere completely different.