Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Experiences of getting a mortgage on moving back?

Experiences of getting a mortgage on moving back?

Old Nov 25th 2013, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

morrisjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Experiences of getting a mortgage on moving back?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think registering on the electoral register when you are not actually there though, is seriously dodgy .... why have you done this?
Seriously dodgy because your not supposed to do it or because you have seen or heard of the consequences of doing so? As far as I can see the penalty can be a fine up to £1K. I should be back in the first half of next year and will of course not be voting in the meantime. How on earth would anyone know or care? I can see the possibility of HMRC checking it in 2015 for my 2014 tax return. I would be astonished if anyone noticed or would bother persuing it for a few months discrepancy. I see it as a very small risk that I have a plausible explanation for.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

As a citizen you still have the right to vote even if you are not resident in the country. You can vote by deed poll. There shouldnt be any consequences being on the electoral register.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Deed poll is what you do to change your name. I have one. You can register as an overseas voter if you live abroad, until you've been gone 15 years, as long as you were over 18 when you left.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.u...-move-overseas
Old Nov 26th 2013, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

You're right Dashie, not sure why that came in to my mind, I meant absentee ballot.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:27 am
Just Joined

morrisjo is an unknown quantity at this point

This is true. technically I could vote if registered as an overseas citizen as I've been away less than 15 years and have been previously registered.

That said, I do not plan to vote unless I am resident. The address I will be registered at is one where I have been registered at 3 times before dropping off.

I'm at a loss to who exactly would be monitoring, investigating and prosecuting such a thing unless there was some specific problem with voting fraud which lets face it is highly unlikely.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 12:09 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
I'd never heard of that before reading this thread & after some search I was looking at that international bank HSBC which is well established.

Suppose the person intending to go back to the UK opened an HSBC account in the country they are in now with global transaction account (whatever its called). That would give the the first step as established customers - then go from there possibly speaking with the local folks about their intentions

http://www.expat.hsbc.com/1/2/hsbc-e...why_hsbc_expat

http://www.expat.hsbc.com/1/2/hsbc-e...tial-mortgages

We did this about 6 months before we left and it was surprisingly easy to get a good-sized mortgage from HSBC at a very favorable rate. Since we're self-employed, I had been warned this might be very hard but it turned out to be very simple. Mind you, we had sold a house in America and had a good deposit. Not sure how it would be without a decent deposit.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

We have been back in the country 2.5 years,but my husband has only really worked here for 6 months. We are renting at the moment,but have sold our home in Canada and are currently now looking for a house to buy. We did find one the other day ,but needed a very very tiny mortgage (which would be paid back within 12 months) . We were going to put 95% deposit down. However after jumping through hoops and going to numerous banks we were totally refused. They really don't want to know if you have not got 12 months accounts in this country. I find it unreal as we have such a large amount to put down .Very disappointed
Old Nov 29th 2013, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

If he is employed rather than self employed you should find a solution.
Have you seen a broker or just been trying different high street places?
Old Nov 29th 2013, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
If he is employed rather than self employed you should find a solution.
Have you seen a broker or just been trying different high street places?
He is self employed,that is the trouble i think.
We have got a broker on it now so fingers crossed
Old Dec 11th 2013, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

dmpp will become famous soon enough

Hi Cumbrian Lass,

We have just moved back to Cumbria (Kendal) after living overseas (Australia) for 5 years. We have recenly bought a property using a broker who was very good, Lyn Liness who works for Poole Townsend. She smoothed out any issues we had, luckily there were few but if you have any trouble it might be worth having a chat with her.

Best of luck
Old Dec 14th 2013, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

JonHan is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe HSBC offer expat mortgage, but only restricted to certain account type holders. And Lloyds was still doing it until August too. Also think Bank of China in UK also offer mortgages for british expat and foreign nationals. Hope it helps.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonHan
I believe HSBC offer expat mortgage, but only restricted to certain account type holders. And Lloyds was still doing it until August too. Also think Bank of China in UK also offer mortgages for british expat and foreign nationals. Hope it helps.

Thank you ......we are just waiting for word off the HSBC,they seem to be the most positive so far. Every other have just shook their heads and sent us packing. Its because my husband is self employed too .Anyhow we should get word on Monday
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
Thank you ......we are just waiting for word off the HSBC,they seem to be the most positive so far. Every other have just shook their heads and sent us packing. Its because my husband is self employed too .Anyhow we should get word on Monday
turned down again .....cannot believe it !!!!
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
turned down again .....cannot believe it !!!!
Sorry to hear that Have you had a look (maybe even post a question) over on the monesavingsexpert forum? The mortgage specific board there might have some ideas.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...splay.php?f=15
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rebs
Sorry to hear that Have you had a look (maybe even post a question) over on the monesavingsexpert forum? The mortgage specific board there might have some ideas.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...splay.php?f=15
thank you we will try ........i really cannt see any problems as we are paying a huge amount in rent and have been doing so for the past 21months.The little mortgage would be half that amount and would be paid off in 2 years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.