Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Experiences with American spouse settling in UK?

Experiences with American spouse settling in UK?

Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice
Default Experiences with American spouse settling in UK?

Sorry if this is a repeat thread---perhaps if this has already been discussed someone can refer me to the correct thread.....But I'm really asking this question on behalf of my husband. He is very willing to have a go living in the UK, ready for the adventure, etc. But he would love to hear some personal experiences from US/UK families----Everything from practical stuff such as how easy was it to get a settlement visa, tax, finance, domicile vs. non-domicile status, to the cultural adjustment. Was there a culture shock? Did US spouses ever feel that UK became "home." Did all that casual anti-Americanism that seems so prevalent in UK ever get on your nerves? What did you love about UK life, what didn't you like so much. Anyway, would love to hear some personal stories! Thanks so much. Love this site by the way!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Experiences with American spouse settling in UK?

No experience of this personally, but your DH will probably find this site helpful:

http://www.uk-yankee.com/

This is specifically a forum for US citizens living and working in the UK. Good luck!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

My DH came to the UK in 1995 and at first ..HATED it lol !

It took him a good few years to make friends and feel at home ,NOW he considers it home and we move back there in about a year

Nobody has ever given him any 'greif' over being an American ,in fact it is a bonus to have an American accent IMO as you can blend in to any situation /job

Paper-work was simple too, once you have your NI number ETC we found everything fell in to place

PM me if you want any more help !
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:56 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

My husband went through a bit of 'learning how things work' and mild culture shock...but not that much really. I think it helped that he got work here as a postman and walking around and talking to everyone really help him adjust and he really enjoyed it. He feels very much at home now.
He loves the ease of travel, the old buildings, history, the 'simpler' life. We came from the east coast as well, (florida) and we are now in a small village. I cant stress enough the importance of where you choose to live as I think this really helps. Being in a village with friendly helpful neighbours, little shops, countryside close by makes a big difference. He actually loves when his family come for a visit. He loves to show them around and explain things to them.
Spousal visa was easy and took no time at all.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by callé
My husband went through a bit of 'learning how things work' and mild culture shock...but not that much really. I think it helped that he got work here as a postman and walking around and talking to everyone really help him adjust and he really enjoyed it. He feels very much at home now.
He loves the ease of travel, the old buildings, history, the 'simpler' life. We came from the east coast as well, (florida) and we are now in a small village. I cant stress enough the importance of where you choose to live as I think this really helps. Being in a village with friendly helpful neighbours, little shops, countryside close by makes a big difference. He actually loves when his family come for a visit. He loves to show them around and explain things to them.
Great advice

This time back we are heading for Dorset ,we are also after the simple life after living in South West London last time .

We love the area ,I really agree with taking time to really choose where you live (it makes ALL the difference ) if you are able !
Old Nov 12th 2010, 12:32 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you coming from, 2passports?

I ask because when I first joined this forum there was an American man posting who was going crazy about everything. But then it emerged he'd moved from Arizona to Yorkshire. No wonder he was freaking about the lack of sunshine! (I assume he's returned. Anyone know?)

He was also bothered by how small the house was, and how close to the neighbours, so everyone could see into his house and garden. Now, if he'd come from living in a city like Boston or New York, that wouldn't have been so freaky, I don't think. It's cheap and easy to have a pretty big house with high fences in Arizona.

Another thing was the narrow roads, the traffic, the tiny parking spaces and lack of them.

FWIW,

Bev
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bevm
Where are you coming from, 2passports?

I ask because when I first joined this forum there was an American man posting who was going crazy about everything. But then it emerged he'd moved from Arizona to Yorkshire. No wonder he was freaking about the lack of sunshine! (I assume he's returned. Anyone know?)

He was also bothered by how small the house was, and how close to the neighbours, so everyone could see into his house and garden. Now, if he'd come from living in a city like Boston or New York, that wouldn't have been so freaky, I don't think. It's cheap and easy to have a pretty big house with high fences in Arizona.

Another thing was the narrow roads, the traffic, the tiny parking spaces and lack of them.

FWIW,

Bev
We are coming from Washington, DC and we live in a VERY small terrace house (by American standards, anyway!). We live a very urban lifestyle---I don't drive and my husband hates driving. I keep joking to him that he can't be a real American! Honestly, the only thing I think it might be difficult for us to adapt to is the lack of sunshine, and perhaps the higher cost of living.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2passports
Did all that casual anti-Americanism that seems so prevalent in UK ever get on your nerves?
Yep, it's everywhere and it's just an inevitable part of living in the UK. most of the time it's not vindictive though and it's just part of the usual banter. The yanks that deal best with it are those that give as good as they get and challenge people on it.

My spouse coped with the UK fine after the initial culture shock, we moved back to the U.S in the end as we fancied a change. I know lots of Americans who have settled in the U.K. I think in their heart of hearts most of them would like to be back in the U.S - the pull of family etc - but they enjoy the U.K lifestyle.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by callé
What an interesting story! Being a postman must be a fantastic way to get to know a place and its people. I completely agree about the importance of choosing the right place. I'm originally from North London and wild horses wouldn't drag me back there! A small village or town with a nice high street and pretty countryside for long walks sounds like heaven to me. By the way, it sounds like you spent most of your life in the US----what made you continue to think of the UK as "home" and to go back there after so many years, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Yep, it's everywhere and it's just an inevitable part of living in the UK. most of the time it's not vindictive though and it's just part of the usual banter. The yanks that deal best with it are those that give as good as they get and challenge people on it.

My spouse coped with the UK fine after the initial culture shock, we moved back to the U.S in the end as we fancied a change. I know lots of Americans who have settled in the U.K. I think in their heart of hearts most of them would like to be back in the U.S - the pull of family etc - but they enjoy the U.K lifestyle.
LOL ..not my DH ,he actually feels more at home in the UK ...strange old world
Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2passports
We are coming from Washington, DC and we live in a VERY small terrace house (by American standards, anyway!). We live a very urban lifestyle---I don't drive and my husband hates driving. I keep joking to him that he can't be a real American! Honestly, the only thing I think it might be difficult for us to adapt to is the lack of sunshine, and perhaps the higher cost of living.
I think housing/gas is more expensive ,apart from that, it is about even IMO.

Swapping about the same income from US -UK gives us more in the UK .

Our water bill alone is $100 most months,the cable /phone etc ....$140 -I know that is cheaper in the UK also .

Food ,a LOT less ,especially if you know where to shop and cook from scratch in the UK !
Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
LOL ..not my DH ,he actually feels more at home in the UK ...strange old world
Maybe its a Gal thing. The one American guy I know who moved over settled in really well and loved it - in Nottingham of all places.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think housing/gas is more expensive ,apart from that, it is about even IMO.
Might even be a lot cheaper moving from DC, I hear its bleeding expensive.

Swapping about the same income from US -UK gives us more in the UK .
Depends. I get way more for my bucks in the U.S, mainly because I moved from North London (woohoo) to central Taxachussets. Comparing cost of living is hard to calculate because prices tend to be in step with what the average wage is - otherwise no-one would buy anything. Food I find about the same doing a back of a fag packet calculation - though stuff like meat cheaper. House prices here are a joke compared to the UK though it looks like sanity will intervene soon.

I find random stuff is way cheaper in the US than the UK - like printer paper for example - have no idea why that is.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Might even be a lot cheaper moving from DC, I hear its bleeding expensive.

Depends. I get way more for my bucks in the U.S, mainly because I moved from North London (woohoo) to central Taxachussets. Comparing cost of living is hard to calculate because prices tend to be in step with what the average wage is - otherwise no-one would buy anything. Food I find about the same doing a back of a fag packet calculation - though stuff like meat cheaper. House prices here are a joke compared to the UK though it looks like sanity will intervene soon.

I find random stuff is way cheaper in the US than the UK - like printer paper for example - have no idea why that is.
Printer paper lol

Thanks for sharing your opinions on the cost UK/US, that is interesting .

Where we are, it is dreadful for selling right now, we hope to sell next year ,just to get back our deposit -don't expect to make a profit at all
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

From my perspective (I'm the American spouse who has settled)....it was actually pretty easy. The hardest part has probably been adjusting weatherwise. It rains alot and the winter nights come faster here in Wales than they do in Atlanta.

Getting the Spouse Settlement Visa was easy, especially when I compare it to getting my then fiance (now husband) into the States when he moved there to be with me. Subequent visa's (Further Leave to Remain and Indefinate Leave to Remain) are pretty straight forward, although increasingly expensive these days.

Getting my National Insurance number was a pita and it really shouldn't have been. It took me nearly a year to get it, largely due to the incompetence of the first person I saw in our local office. The girl who later actually gave me one even said the previous denial had been wrong and stupid. Luckily, when you come in on a spouse visa you have an immediate right to work, so my problem only involved sorting out red tape.

As a driver who routinely drove miles each day around metro Atlanta, I found the hardest part of driving over here wasn't driving on the left but driving on such narrow streets with cars parked bumper to bumper on both sides of the street leaving cars little to no room to manuever.

Your husband will have a year to drive on his American Liscense before he has to take the UK driving test. My advice is for him to take maybe a half dozen lessons with a paid instructor, read the preparation manual and go for it. The only reason I paid an instructor was every question I asked drivers over here about, they gave me different answers. I figured I needed professional advice, lol. I passed the written and the road test on the first try. It is harder than any US state's test though, so the lessons definately helped.

Buy a small car. Trust me, you do not want to drive an SUV or a larger car on a narrow village lane. I drive an automatic and am only qualified to drive an automatic over here...which is cool because I never could drive a clutch worth a damn in the States anyway

I don't find prices over here to be much different than the States. Utilities cost us roughly the same as do groceries. I will always prefer American Grocery stores over Tesco or ASDA....but then again, I hated Walmarts in the States so maybe that's just me.

I keep up with many family and friends in the States witn telephone calls, emails and FaceBook. I often find out the latest gossip or news before my non-FaceBook friends. Sometimes, that is not a good thing. I found out about a good friend's death via an email and another's death through a post on FaceBook.

I think I've settled well. My husband never settled in the States and was miserable for 3 years despite twice yearly 2 week trips to the UK. I on the other hand have only been back to Atlanta once in the 5 years since we have moved here. I think I'm probably one of those rare people who could live just about anywhere. I just adapt and get on with it.

Last edited by Scout; Nov 14th 2010 at 10:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.