Expats - Listen Up!

Old Jun 24th 2012, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expats - Listen Up!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Are you bored with your local US radio stations? Sick of adverts every few minutes? Irritated with the same half-a-dozen songs being played, seemingly on a loop system for hours and hours? (Thank you, Clearchannel). Stark raving mad right-wingers on US talk radio shows? Appeals for 'donations' on the public service stations? Don't want to pay for a subscription service for satellite radio?

Here's a solution if you have either an iPhone, iPad, android phone or tablet:

Check out the FREE App called 'Tune In'

I didn't think it would work in the US as it was downloaded onto my iPad in Switzerland, but it worked in the UK and it works here.

What is it, you may be wondering?

Well, it's an App which transmits hundreds of radio stations in real-time from around the world and you can save your favourite stations. You just go to the search box and type in either the name of a radio station you know of, or just type the name of the city, county, state or country and see what comes up. The quality is superb; no time delays or glitches at all (in my experience).

I've got a range of stations saved as my favourites, mainly of places where I've lived, including:

BBC Radio 1, 2 and 4
Radio 5 Live (sports and talk radio)
Capital Radio (London)
LBC 97.3 (London talkshow)
BBC Coventry & Warwickshire
BBC Essex

Triple J (Australia)
Class 95 (Singapore)
987FM (Singapore)
Jazzy! (Netherlands)
Radio Luxembourg (yes, it still exists!)

On weekdays I'm now waking up at 7am ET and get to hear the excellent Jeremy Vine programme on BBC Radio 2 - I love the mix of music and guest/audience participation in topics of the day. If I'm at home I then get to listen to Steve Wright in the Afternoon.

I'm listening to LBC 97.3 right now

I have the Tune In App on my iPad and on my Samsung Charge (Android phone) and I love it!
Been using it for well over a year and love it. It is a strange feeling to be driving along an American road or at home doing the dishes while listening to Radio 4, Jazz FM, Classic FM, Radio Oxford or one of my local stations in Oxfordshire; the former Fox FM 102.6, now Heart Oxford hearing radio commercials for the same old conservatory/window companies that have been on there for 20 years, it makes Oxfordshire not seem so far away....especially as I am now in Phoenix, Arizona and long for a nice cooler English summer day, not the 113 oven that is Phoenix, oh and this is only 'the beginning' of the summer.
I can't wait to see what it is like when it gets really hot, especially as i left my GPS in the front window by mistake and it melted.....
Old Jun 27th 2012, 5:09 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Listening to Heart Radio (Bristol).

I love how the Traffic News gives trouble spot locations by mentioning the name of the nearest pub.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Ukbigm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by frrussre
Englishmum, I blame you

1.0am, I'm still listening to LBC, BBC, Capital.

Why did you tell me, now I am hooked.

Can't seem to get Virgin, they maybe blocking. Will keep trying.

This will be my downfall.

Reg. Frank R.
You may have heard this already but Virgin Radio is now Absolute Radio in the UK Might be why you cannot get it on the app
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use it on my Kindle, turns it into an Internet Radio which I can plug in to the stereo.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I use it on my Kindle, turns it into an Internet Radio which I can plug in to the stereo.
I do it on my Droid and do the same trick. Sit out in the garden on weekends listening to Radio 1 or Capital FM. Last couple of weeks, that typically involves laying in glorious sunshine while listening to reports of never ending rain
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

I've been using this for a while for the early morning drive to work....Also you should consider buying the pro version. It doesn't do a whole lot more but it's good to support developers!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pro bought, you can record.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 1:09 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Listening to South Devon Sound as we speak! I have a portable boombox in the kitchen that reproduces in stereo. In seventh heaven
I've had the app for ages. But have started using it again. Thanks English Mum!

Last edited by Desdemona; Jul 19th 2012 at 1:35 pm.