Expats - Listen Up!

Old May 26th 2012, 5:12 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expats - Listen Up!

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Pink Floyd did the psychedelia better, but Jim Morrison certainly helped carry on the good work Bob Dylan and friends started with respect to the American songwriters.
Don't get me wrong, there's a few songs by The Doors I like ("Peace Frog", "Roadhouse Blues" and "Touch Me" spring to mind). I just think that there's a few other bands that came out of America in the mid/late 60's that are better.

And of course Pink Floyd did psychedelia better, they did everything better than just about anyone.
Old May 26th 2012, 5:15 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Don't get me wrong, there's a few songs by The Doors I like ("Peace Frog", "Roadhouse Blues" and "Touch Me" spring to mind). I just think that there's a few other bands that came out of America in the mid/late 60's that are better.

And of course Pink Floyd did psychedelia better, they did everything better than just about anyone.
I'll certainly give you Crosby, Stills and Nash on that first point. Forgot about them, actually. Even though one of them was English, of course

Wholeheartedly agree with you about Floyd as well.
Old May 26th 2012, 5:26 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll certainly give you Crosby, Stills and Nash on that first point. Forgot about them, actually. Even though one of them was English, of course
And a Man Utd supporter as well, but nobody's perfect.

Wholeheartedly agree with you about Floyd as well.
Old May 26th 2012, 5:27 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
And a Man Utd supporter as well, but nobody's perfect.
Quite. I heard Paul McCartney was an Everton supporter ...
Old May 26th 2012, 1:18 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Quite. I heard Paul McCartney was an Everton supporter ...
And a solid gold twat.
Old May 26th 2012, 7:19 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
And a solid gold twat.
George Harrison was always my favorite, as much as I love Hey Jude.
Old May 26th 2012, 11:37 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

George Harrison was always my favorite, as much as I love Hey Jude.
Ringo, but only for Thomas the Tank Engine.
Old May 27th 2012, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Geordie-Tex is an unknown quantity at this point

FIVE LIVE! AND BBC 4 COMEDY1
Old May 28th 2012, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I've downloaded it onto my Galaxy tab - cool app! I'm using it to have a nostalgia moment, listening to ... KFOG 104.5 from San Francisco while I sit in Arizona

Question to all you heavy users ... it seems to play for 20-40 minutes, or so, and then 'stop'. There is a blue 'progress bar' that shows how many minutes it has played (looking at it now, it's showing 34:20) - but it's not clear what the point is, what the scale is, etc. Does it just play non-stop for you guys? I've only played it for a couple of hours yet but I keep having to take some action to keep it going.

Originally Posted by Bink
Thanks for the heads up!

I caved in and got sattelite in the car. It's a vast improvement and actually not that expensive if you negotiate with them, there are always deals on.
I have negotiated with them for the past 4 or 5 years and have finally given up. Every year I've threatened to cancel (or actually cancelled), and received the 'intro' price ($79/yr maybe?) again; but then when that year ends, they auto-renew you at the most expensive monthly rate ($14.99/mo?), which I don't catch for a month or two so end up getting gouged again (yes, my fault for not tracking the periods and not checking my credit card bills ... ... I'm busy ...). I now have two cars 'in the family' with satellite service, and they have lousy deals for that ($9.99/mo for 2nd vehicle); they also want extra for web streaming ($3.99/mo, only available at that price as an add-on to existing service), and so on and so on ...

Trouble is my g/f is addicted to some of the channels on XM so I really want to keep her happy with this one! So I'm looking for an internet source that is commercial free and focused on 60s and 70s classics
Old May 28th 2012, 12:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

Question to all you heavy users ... it seems to play for 20-40 minutes, or so, and then 'stop'. There is a blue 'progress bar' that shows how many minutes it has played (looking at it now, it's showing 34:20) - but it's not clear what the point is, what the scale is, etc. Does it just play non-stop for you guys? I've only played it for a couple of hours yet but I keep having to take some action to keep it going.
It's a way to check you're actually using the device rather than having left it lying around wasting data usage away. Which was a problem for some people, so this was added. I have no idea if there's a setting to remove this though and it doesn't happen on the iPad via wifi, so it maybe something only on anything with 3G?
Old May 28th 2012, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a way to check you're actually using the device rather than having left it lying around wasting data usage away. Which was a problem for some people, so this was added. I have no idea if there's a setting to remove this though and it doesn't happen on the iPad via wifi, so it maybe something only on anything with 3G?
After posting above, I let it sit for at least 90 minutes before I shut it down, so it does seem somewhat arbitrary. The first 'incident' was while driving, only 20 minutes or so after starting to listen; that was 4G. Second incident was at home, but still on 4G; not sure if it happened after I switched to home wifi.

Anyway - I'll play with it some more. I'm not a big radio fan so other than the occasional KFOG blast I'm not sure I'll use it much but it is good to know about!
Old May 29th 2012, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I checked the app store on my ipod for this t'other day and turns out it was already on there. Since then I've listened to radio 1 all day every day.

Great app, thanks for the tip.
Old May 29th 2012, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Another good radio app is Stitcher. This takes all your favourite radio shows/podcasts, automatically updates them to the latest version on the fly rather than having to sync your iPhone (but it asks first, so don't worry if you're half way through a show and saving the rest for later) and then plays them one after the other.

I have a ton of Radio 4 stuff - Friday Night Comedy, Woman's Hour, In Our Time, etc - along with US ones, mostly from NPR, and ones for news so I can listen to Europe eat itself alive whilst brushing my teeth in the morning.

The good thing about Stitcher, apart from it meaning that there's always something brilliant to listen to when you have a half hour, is that it doesn't need a constant wifi or data connection. Hubby, for example, starts the Friday Night Comedy (a half hour show) as he picks up his car keys and walks to the front door; within about 15 seconds the whole show is now on his iPod Touch for listening to on the way to work.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I only used Stitcher briefly, then all the podcasts I listened to were screwed over by the company and quit from it, so I use the more generic BeyondPod instead (although you have to pay a few quid for the auto-update version)
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Boo, I think the BBC has cottoned on to the whole bypassing regional rights restriction thing. I was listening to R5live on my kindle and the commentary mysteriously fades out just as they kick off.

Guess I'll have to have espn streaming instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.