Expats - Listen Up!

Old May 24th 2012, 12:47 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Expats - Listen Up!

Originally Posted by Ridski
Thanks for the heads-up, Englishmum. I already use the LBC app to listen to my favorite shows there (got my American wife addicted to it, too!), and usually play Radio 4 or 5 from my PC through the iPlayer, but this looks really cool. Not sure I'd stretch to going back to listening to BBC Cov & Warks again, though, I had enough of that when I lived there!

Ha ha....I've only had BBC Cov & Warks on for a few minutes, just wanted to show that one can get local stations too.

Oddly enough I'm listening to the Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 right now. He's talking about Coventry as today is the 50th anniversary of the consecration of the new Cathedral (the city was devastated in the Blitz in November 1940).

He's talking with the broadcaster Jon (Jonathan) Gaunt......he was in my class at infant and junior school, it's weird to hear his voice although I've seen him on Sky TV too from time to time.
Old May 25th 2012, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expats - Listen Up!

I'm hooked on LBC.

Reg. Frank R.
Old May 25th 2012, 4:53 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Been using it on a daily basis since getting an iPhone. It's quite nice on a Friday morning, when I can listen to Kermode & Mayo's Film Review while doing the school run.
Old May 25th 2012, 11:22 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

I have the app on the iPhone and I agree, it's brilliant. I can get radio stations from all over the world, including my favourite UK & Ireland stations (Xfm, Absolute, Phantom, Radio 1).
Old May 25th 2012, 2:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Expats - Listen Up!

Originally Posted by frrussre
I'm hooked on LBC.

Reg. Frank R.
Me too. I'm going to a lunch today and everyone has to bring something, so last night I decided to make a Pavlova. For those who don't know, a Pav has a meringue base which you make by using egg whites and sugar. You have to ensure that the egg yolk doesn't go into the egg whites or the recipe won't work.

I was giggling hysterically when the presenter last night on LBC was talking about the young woman in Wales (weighing 63 stones ) who is undergoing organ failure and it took more than 30 people to get her out of the house to take her to hospital, including having to demolish two walls of the house. The LBC presenter was being *so* bitchy - in a camp way - about her being a 'lard-arse' etc. and being so un-PC it was refreshing to hear, I loved it.

I was laughing so much I couldn't break the eggs without getting yolk into the whites. I went through 9 eggs and only needed 4 of them! Omelettes for dinner tonight, methinks!
Old May 25th 2012, 2:40 pm

Lightbulb Re: Expats - Listen Up!

BTW: Kermode & Simon Mayo's film reviews are on Radio 5 Live
Old May 25th 2012, 2:46 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

I had a lot of trouble finding a 60s station, which played any British 60s stuff. After listening to the US 60s stations, I have to say the USA was saved from a lifetime of bland pop, by the "British Invasion". Terrible stuff.
Old May 26th 2012, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

docholywood will become famous soon enough

Yup it's awesome, I was missing Radio 2....on BB Curve 9320 and works really well.
Old May 26th 2012, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Me too. I'm going to a lunch today and everyone has to bring something, so last night I decided to make a Pavlova. For those who don't know, a Pav has a meringue base which you make by using egg whites and sugar. You have to ensure that the egg yolk doesn't go into the egg whites or the recipe won't work.

I was giggling hysterically when the presenter last night on LBC was talking about the young woman in Wales (weighing 63 stones ) who is undergoing organ failure and it took more than 30 people to get her out of the house to take her to hospital, including having to demolish two walls of the house. The LBC presenter was being *so* bitchy - in a camp way - about her being a 'lard-arse' etc. and being so un-PC it was refreshing to hear, I loved it.

I was laughing so much I couldn't break the eggs without getting yolk into the whites. I went through 9 eggs and only needed 4 of them! Omelettes for dinner tonight, methinks!
Great story, funny. I have caught myself laughing out loud, lucky no one is watching.

Guess we are all getting hooked. Englishmum, single handedly, you have brought down the USA, production line, we are all listening to British radio.

Reg. Frank R.
Old May 26th 2012, 4:43 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I had a lot of trouble finding a 60s station, which played any British 60s stuff. After listening to the US 60s stations, I have to say the USA was saved from a lifetime of bland pop, by the "British Invasion". Terrible stuff.
The world was saved from a lifetime of bland pop by the British Invasion. Imagine a world without The Who ...

Not fun, is it?

Good thing the Americans invented the blues so the Beatles and the Stones could reshape them into their sound
Old May 26th 2012, 4:46 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
BTW: Kermode & Simon Mayo's film reviews are on Radio 5 Live
Forgot to mention that in my post. Also, forgot to say "Hello To Jason Issacs".
Old May 26th 2012, 4:47 am
Time Lord

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Good thing the Americans invented the blues so the Beatles and the Stones could reshape them into their sound
A good way of looking at it. America may have mined the diamond, but it was Britain that polished it.
Old May 26th 2012, 4:52 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
A good way of looking at it. America may have mined the diamond, but it was Britain that polished it.
Yep, then America responded in kind by giving us people like The Doors, Hendrix, SRV et al. It's a mutual agreement. Likewise, after Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath invented heavy metal, the Americans rather kindly responded with Spinal Tap

Not a hint of irony, by the way - Tap are a bloody good band
Old May 26th 2012, 4:58 am
Time Lord

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yep, then America responded in kind by giving us people like The Doors, Hendrix, SRV et al. It's a mutual agreement. Likewise, after Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath invented heavy metal, the Americans rather kindly responded with Spinal Tap

Not a hint of irony, by the way - Tap are a bloody good band
Can't argue with that, even if i've never been a big fan of The Doors.
Old May 26th 2012, 5:04 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Can't argue with that, even if i've never been a big fan of The Doors.
Pink Floyd did the psychedelia better, but Jim Morrison certainly helped carry on the good work Bob Dylan and friends started with respect to the American songwriters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.