Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Exchanging Canadian driving license back to UK

Exchanging Canadian driving license back to UK

Old Mar 9th 2015, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

doubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the rough
Default Exchanging Canadian driving license back to UK

Hi Guys,

Quick question, I'll be heading back to the UK from Canada for a while whilst waiting out the exceptionally well thought out and transparent Express Entry system for Canadian PR.

One thing that concerns me is my driving license. When arriving here in Vancouver in April 2013, I exchanged my UK license for a shiny BC one, no issues. This expired at the end of last year, but of course when renewing it, because I had less than 6 months remaining on my work permit I only received a temporary paper license for 2 months, after which I've renewed it again for another 2, it expires on April 6th, 2 days after my current permit ends.

I'll be spending April here as a visitor for some much needed R&R before flying back to the UK on the 1st of May. Here is my confusion, as I understand it I can just exchange my Canadian license back for a UK one, however by the time I go back my Canadian license will just be an expired, dog-eared temporary paper license. I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do since I won't have a full, valid photocard to exchange.

I had talked to the DVLA when I first got here and they mentioned something along the lines of "I'm in the system so there shouldn't be any issues" but I thought I'd see if anyone has any input or has been in a similar situation before.

Sorry for the waffle, I just wanted to get all the information out and felt the scenario was a little confusing.

Thanks!
Old Mar 10th 2015, 6:35 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchanging Canadian driving license back to UK

discussed here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...erm-uk-851683/