Reload this Page >

Ex pat returning and homeless - please advise

Wikiposts

Ex pat returning and homeless - please advise

Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:45 am
Just Joined

guardian_angel is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Ex pat returning and homeless - please advise

I am trying to find out on behalf of a friend who has been forced to return from Crete due to a terrible change in her circumstances, how she can get help with being homeless on her return. She was born in the UK but all of her family live in Greece. Unfortunately, due to financial difficulties (through no fault of her own), she can no longer remain there. She has no family or friends in the UK who can help and will be homeless on her arrival. Can anyone advise on what she can do to get help with accomodation? She has been left financially crippled and cannot afford to put a deposit down on a flat. What would be her first course of action on returning? Any help / advice greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

bigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to all
Default Re: Ex pat returning and homeless - please advise

I know in Northern Ireland we have the Housing Excecutive and they have emergency housing for people. Is there any council housing like this in England?.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:30 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone just arrive back in the country after years of being away and get government benefits?
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:51 am
Just Joined

I will try checking this out for her. Have no idea about the benefits but I know she did work all her life while living in the UK and paid her taxes, I would like to think she would still be entitled to some help after her contribution. Thanks folks.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:03 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigmattE
I know in Northern Ireland we have the Housing Excecutive and they have emergency housing for people. Is there any council housing like this in England?.
Yes there is emergency council housing for people in England, it may not be the best, but you have to take what you are given, as far as I know you don't get to pick and choose.

Apparently whichever council's area you turn up in, then they are responsible for finding you somewhere to live.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Ex pat returning and homeless - please advise

Thankyou I will pass this information on to my friend
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:17 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes there is emergency council housing for people in England, it may not be the best, but you have to take what you are given, as far as I know you don't get to pick and choose.

Apparently whichever council's area you turn up in, then they are responsible for finding you somewhere to live.
I know a relative needed help and there was no housing. They did offer him a hostel I think, but he wound up finding a solution before he needed to go.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:25 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I know a relative needed help and there was no housing. They did offer him a hostel I think, but he wound up finding a solution before he needed to go.
Yes I think this is what they offer you first, some kind of homeless person's hostel until they find you a permanent dwelling.

What a terrible position to be in, makes you realise how lucky we are to have family in the UK, if it came to the worst I could always find a sofa.

I should have said "emergency housing by the council" not "emergency council housing."
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

MrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really nice

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad..._accommodation
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If all her family live in Greece, why would she be moving back to the UK where she has no family or friends? (or money)

Is she moving back because she can get assistance and benefits in the UK whereas she can get nothing in Greece?

Wy can't she get assistance in Greece if she has lived there for most of her life? It is part of the EU and therefore should have reciprocal assistance/benefits facilities as in the UK.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:41 pm
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guardian_angel
I am trying to find out on behalf of a friend who has been forced to return from Crete due to a terrible change in her circumstances, how she can get help with being homeless on her return. She was born in the UK but all of her family live in Greece. Unfortunately, due to financial difficulties (through no fault of her own), she can no longer remain there. She has no family or friends in the UK who can help and will be homeless on her arrival. Can anyone advise on what she can do to get help with accomodation? She has been left financially crippled and cannot afford to put a deposit down on a flat. What would be her first course of action on returning? Any help / advice greatly appreciated.
could she afford to rent a room in a share house?
that wouldn't cost much at all (unless she was in london)
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Corfulady is an unknown quantity at this point

I really feel for your friend. I am in exactly the same situation. I have been in Greece for 21 years, am divorced with 2 children 15 and 12 and because of the economic crisis here have lost my job. I am only entitled to 5 months unemployment benefit which runs out in May (only 545 Euros a month!). There are no benefits at all from the Greek Government. The new prime minister has also cut the rent rebates and I cannot afford to pay the rent.
I have no other choice but to return to the UK homeless and penniless. My parents are retired and also live in Greece and cannot afford to take us on.
As far as I am aware I will probably be put in a hostel and on a waiting list for something better.
I am leaving my eldest son behind for the time being until I get settled but my youngest will come with me. I am hoping that we can settle pretty quickly and its not too traumatic for my son.
Any thoughts from anyone out there would be appreciated
Old Feb 11th 2011, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Corfulady
I really feel for your friend. I am in exactly the same situation. I have been in Greece for 21 years, am divorced with 2 children 15 and 12 and because of the economic crisis here have lost my job. I am only entitled to 5 months unemployment benefit which runs out in May (only 545 Euros a month!). There are no benefits at all from the Greek Government. The new prime minister has also cut the rent rebates and I cannot afford to pay the rent.
I have no other choice but to return to the UK homeless and penniless. My parents are retired and also live in Greece and cannot afford to take us on.
As far as I am aware I will probably be put in a hostel and on a waiting list for something better.
I am leaving my eldest son behind for the time being until I get settled but my youngest will come with me. I am hoping that we can settle pretty quickly and its not too traumatic for my son.
Any thoughts from anyone out there would be appreciated
What makes you think that returning to the UK and being penniless and homeless will be any more bearable than in Greece?

The UK is much more expensive overall to live in than Greece, taking into account utility bills and housing costs

Why are you not getting child support from the children's father?
Old Feb 11th 2011, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
What makes you think that returning to the UK and being penniless and homeless will be any more bearable than in Greece?

The UK is much more expensive overall to live in than Greece, taking into account utility bills and housing costs

Why are you not getting child support from the children's father?
Yes it does sound like the father should be paying
Old Feb 12th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by guardian_angel
This site lists the government services, where to go, etc.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/index.htm