Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Everyone wants to go home...except me!

Everyone wants to go home...except me!

Old Jul 14th 2010, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Everyone wants to go home...except me!

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That's a pretty sweet deal. Probably a little insensitive to moan about it.
Some people
Old Jul 14th 2010, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
...DH's work kindly provide for 1 trip (to your home country) each year for all three of us. ...
Has he checked the bit in parenthesis is right? We had one ex-pat deal where it turned out the company didn't care where the flights were to - it was just a fixed cost allowance to them anyhow. They paid for a great holiday in St Lucia that year!
Old Jul 14th 2010, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Philgr
Has he checked the bit in parenthesis is right? We had one ex-pat deal where it turned out the company didn't care where the flights were to - it was just a fixed cost allowance to them anyhow. They paid for a great holiday in St Lucia that year!
I'm so going to look into this now
Old Jul 14th 2010, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Am I the only one who doesn't want to go back.

P.S. apologies to everyone who wishes they had free flights home - I would gladly give them to you if I could
I've never had free flights home - came here and found work on my own, no 'transfer' deal.

I've only been home about 6 times in 27 years. Probably 3 times in first 10 years, then less and less after that. I got so tired of doing the family thing - only a week or two total, and everyone wanting you to visit them/etc. Seeing the same old stuff, same old people. I now go to Italy or Spain or other parts of the world, and I tell my folks flat-out - I spent 25 years in that country and now it's time to see other places. I pay for them to come here and visit me so they can't complain they don't see me. They love it here so everyone wins.

Originally Posted by Burn1911
YAY YAY YAY I am so with you - I could have written this post.....
There are so many other places I would love to spend the money and go to.. ...
Precisely ...

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
but what about your family in the UK?
My close family come out here to visit me; relatives ... I thank the stars there is an 8,000 mile excuse between us ... I could never stand suffering through family gatherings when I lived back there.

Now, my mum is 82 and still fit as a fiddle; some day she won't be, and ... I don't know what I'll do then. Go back and spend time with her, I guess. That's the only thing that will get me back there ...