Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Everyone thinks I'm mad........

Everyone thinks I'm mad........

Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:03 pm
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice
Default Re: Everyone thinks I'm mad........

Originally Posted by stm1971
Since I have made it known that I want to go home to England most of my Oz (mainly English) friends and family think I have lost my mind.

They are coming out with all the usual stuff....

“What do you want to go back to that s***hole for?”

” it’s full of immigrants”, (excuse me, aren’t we)??

“schools are c**p and full of bl***s”
(this one came from a close family member of OH’s, believe it or not)! My daughter replied “so what ***, I’ve got loads of different coloured kids in my school, what’s the difference”. Very proud of her, I was.

“you wouldn’t catch me getting on a plane back there, it’s gone to the dogs”

“how could you give all this up?” while holding hands up to the sky

Etc etc etc………

My point is, why do they do this?
I am not having a go at Perth (well, only sometimes ), but I’m just ready to go home now and I think I have given them many logical and valid reasons for my decision. I actually try not to bring the subject up in front of them but it must be a slow news month for everyone as it's all they keep talking about.

It wouldn’t normally bother me as I don’t really care what other people think, but it is bothering OH. He pretty much feels the same as me about leaving but all the comments are making him doubt whether going back to the UK is the right choice.

I even found out that my in-laws were discussing me with some friends and they have come to the conclusion that I am depressed and the tablets I’m taking (recently started thyroid medication) have confused me and I don’t know what I want!!!

Okkkkkkkkkkay…………..I think at 37 I might have figured out what I want out of life!! If anything, I feel better than I have in months as it's a relief to admit that I don't want to be here anymore.

Has anyone else encountered this??
Yeah, I have. Why did you go to OZ in the first place? What itch was it intended to scratch?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:10 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coda
What itch was it intended to scratch?
I imagine the Grafenberg spot.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I imagine the Grafenberg spot.
What makes you think that Jules?? Maybe I'm an external girl.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:54 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

What makes you think that Jules?? Maybe I'm an external girl.
I imagine you`re easy to satisfy
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Coda
Yeah, I have. Why did you go to OZ in the first place? What itch was it intended to scratch?
Because I could!!

Had a good life in the UK but we were young and had a desire to live in another country.

Chose Australia as OH had backpacked here and I suppose we had a romantic view of the place, endless sun, beach lifestyle etc and thought the grass was greener. Didn't really do enough research on Perth and none on the rest of Australia as OH had family in Perth so it seemed logical at the time to come to Perth. Hindsight is a wonderful thing eh! Our kids were practically babies so it is a harder decision to take them back now they are older.

On the surface we have a good life here, but it isn't home and never will be.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

I imagine you`re easy to satisfy
Depends what needs to be satisfied!!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:58 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Depends what needs to be satisfied!!
Location is everything and in your case a quick return to the UK should do it, which part of the UK do you want to return to?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location is everything and in your case a quick return to the UK should do it, which part of the UK do you want to return to?
South east somewhere, probably Surrey or surrounding area. Depends where OH can get a decent job. Certainly will not be returning to the part of Essex we lived in before we migrated.

I have been back to the UK 3 times since I have been in Oz and with each time it was harder to get back on the plane. I quick trip back won't satisfy me this time.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:07 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

South east somewhere, probably Surrey or surrounding area. Depends where OH can get a decent job. Certainly will not be returning to the part of Essex we lived in before we migrated.

I have been back to the UK 3 times since I have been in Oz and with each time it was harder to get back on the plane. I quick trip back won't satisfy me this time.
London and Surrey certainly the best places to live in the UK if you have the money. Certainly agree with your sentiments about Essex though, what a depressing place
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

London and Surrey certainly the best places to live in the UK if you have the money. Certainly agree with your sentiments about Essex though, what a depressing place
Yeah I know, I lived in Grays for 5 years after I met OH as that is his home town. I'm sure it was a nice place at one time .
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:25 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Yeah I know, I lived in Grays for 5 years after I met OH as that is his home town. I'm sure it was a nice place at one time .
I doubt if it ever was a nice place, I imagine any passing immigrants would be far too fussy to think about settling there and would look for far nicer pastures...........Admittedly though, Somalians and Kurds may find it a nice spot to lay their hats and to eek out some sort of existence there.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:30 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt if it ever was a nice place, I imagine any passing immigrants would be far too fussy to think about settling there and would look for far nicer pastures...........Admittedly though, Somalians and Kurds may find it a nice spot to lay their hats and to eek out some sort of existence there.
Ahem!!!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

From what I have heard since we left, it is a favoured destination for immigrants. I have actually been able to avoid it on my trips back and stay with family in London and Rayleigh (just managed a brief glance while travelling along the A13 last time) so can't really comment on the amount of immigrants that are there.

You sound like you know the area well, have you lived there??
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:34 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

You sound like you know the area well, have you lived there??
Don`t be so insulting.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Don`t be so insulting.

I wasn't as lucky as you, but at least I escaped. Probably didn't need to go half way round the world though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.