Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Everyone thinks I'm mad........

Everyone thinks I'm mad........

Old Mar 15th 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Everyone thinks I'm mad........

Since I have made it known that I want to go home to England most of my Oz (mainly English) friends and family think I have lost my mind.

They are coming out with all the usual stuff....

“What do you want to go back to that s***hole for?”

” it’s full of immigrants”, (excuse me, aren’t we)??

“schools are c**p and full of bl***s”
(this one came from a close family member of OH’s, believe it or not)! My daughter replied “so what ***, I’ve got loads of different coloured kids in my school, what’s the difference”. Very proud of her, I was.

“you wouldn’t catch me getting on a plane back there, it’s gone to the dogs”

“how could you give all this up?” while holding hands up to the sky

Etc etc etc………

My point is, why do they do this?
I am not having a go at Perth (well, only sometimes ), but I’m just ready to go home now and I think I have given them many logical and valid reasons for my decision. I actually try not to bring the subject up in front of them but it must be a slow news month for everyone as it's all they keep talking about.

It wouldn’t normally bother me as I don’t really care what other people think, but it is bothering OH. He pretty much feels the same as me about leaving but all the comments are making him doubt whether going back to the UK is the right choice.

I even found out that my in-laws were discussing me with some friends and they have come to the conclusion that I am depressed and the tablets I’m taking (recently started thyroid medication) have confused me and I don’t know what I want!!!

Okkkkkkkkkkay…………..I think at 37 I might have figured out what I want out of life!! If anything, I feel better than I have in months as it's a relief to admit that I don't want to be here anymore.

Has anyone else encountered this??
Old Mar 15th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Everyone thinks I'm mad........

Originally Posted by stm1971
Since I have made it known that I want to go home to England most of my Oz (mainly English) friends and family think I have lost my mind.

(this one came from a close family member of OH’s, believe it or not)! My daughter replied “so what ***, I’ve got loads of different coloured kids in my school, what’s the difference”. Very proud of her, I was.

Etc etc etc………

I am not having a go at Perth (well, only sometimes ), but I’m just ready to go home now and I think I have given them many logical and valid reasons for my decision. I actually try not to bring the subject up in front of them but it must be a slow news month for everyone as it's all they keep talking about.

It wouldn’t normally bother me as I don’t really care what other people think, but it is bothering OH. He pretty much feels the same as me about leaving but all the comments are making him doubt whether going back to the UK is the right choice.

I even found out that my in-laws were discussing me with some friends and they have come to the conclusion that I am depressed and the tablets I’m taking (recently started thyroid medication) have confused me and I don’t know what I want!!!

Okkkkkkkkkkay…………..I think at 37 I might have figured out what I want out of life!! If anything, I feel better than I have in months as it's a relief to admit that I don't want to be here anymore.

Escaping from your charming (not) friends and family seems good enough reason to escape back to Blighty to me.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 5:37 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heljinder
Escaping from your charming (not) friends and family seems good enough reason to escape back to Blighty to me.
Dont talk to her.... she's mad
Old Mar 15th 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Dont talk to her.... she's mad

Only when there's a full moon!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

been here 18 years in may,family- sil asked (me,who didnt think of ever going back) how i could leave my kids,she put me on a huge guilt trip.my kids are all adults with family of their own and we talk almost daily on the phone,but they are a 4 hour drive away from us.you would think i was abandoning young children not fecken adults.so upset with her,tired of defending ourselves.:curse:we only have the next 20 years to do what we want in life,have a bit of fun,travel europe,spend time with elderly parents etc.i was always under the impression our kids were on loan and we brought them up to be self sufficient and stand on their own two feet.(still bail them out of tight spots when needed).think she is saying this as her kids are under 6 years old and she is in her late forties.i had my 1st child at 21.we didnt have 20 odd years on our own to begin with.anyway when they kept on about it i asked which if any had moved abroad ? so how can you comment on something you know nothing about.i dont mind a person saying its their opinion but to make me feel like shite was a different matter.maybe they think we are going to bludge off of them or the system?well NO. would rather live in a f****ing tent in a layby before i would ever ask for help.so sorry to ramble and spout off.
audrey
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:50 pm
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

If you want to go home, don't listen to anyone else. Do what you want. We are going home in May and apart from family I haven't really told anyone else (haven't really got any friends here). First reaction from the family was try moving to another state. As if it's that easy!! I have my boys to think about and it's not fair to keep moving them until I feel settled. I know that I don't want to live here, it's the UK for me. We came over on a 457 visa and since being here his company has been hit by the recession my OH has spent more time working away than he did when we were in the UK. I spend more time on my own and to be honest loneliness is one of the reasons I want to go home. Roll on May

Just do what is right for your family.

Nikki
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Etc etc etc………

We all have hun, we all have
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
We all have hun, we all have
The two good friends I've made in Aus, have been really supportive of me wanting to go back to England. One is English, the other Australian. The Aussie friend is fantastic in that she sits and lets me spout, rant and ramble without ever judging me - she's a top friend! My English friend wants to go back too, so it's easy to talk to her.

However, when I first came here, I was befriended by the Parent Liaison bod at my son's school, who was lovely until I told her I was going back. She's been nasty and vindictive ever since.

Family have been fine, but I've had the odd friend back home telling me I'm mad to go back. But you see, they've never left their hometown let alone lived abroad, so have no idea.

It's a tough one.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Heljinder
The two good friends I've made in Aus, have been really supportive of me wanting to go back to England. One is English, the other Australian. The Aussie friend is fantastic in that she sits and lets me spout, rant and ramble without ever judging me - she's a top friend! My English friend wants to go back too, so it's easy to talk to her.

However, when I first came here, I was befriended by the Parent Liaison bod at my son's school, who was lovely until I told her I was going back. She's been nasty and vindictive ever since.

Family have been fine, but I've had the odd friend back home telling me I'm mad to go back. But you see, they've never left their hometown let alone lived abroad, so have no idea.

It's a tough one.
You are lucky to have a friend like that, English or Australian.

I'm too scared to tell my few Australian friends!! I don't think I am ready for that backlash yet.

Although saying that, OH mentioned it to a guy he worked with the other day and the guy said he wished he could go and live in the UK and he's Australian! So you never know, some may be OK.

OH's brother back in the UK thinks we are crazy, but he wants to emigrate here so I don't take any notice, I'm happy to let him make his own mind up. Unfortunatley he really runs the UK down which is what is making OH worry about a move back.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

Etc etc etc………

It's possible to apply their generalisations to Australia also, race riots in Cronulla, gangland killings in Melbourne, Muslims taking over Canterbury/Bankstown, Vietnamese ghetto's in Brisband and Sydney - and other general loads of hysteria and frenzied rubbish. Fact is UK hasn't gone to the dogs and if the only way they can justify living in Australia is to rubbish their homeland then let them, I personally love it back here and wouldn't go back to Australia to live if you paid me.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sdunx
It's possible to apply their generalisations to Australia also, race riots in Cronulla, gangland killings in Melbourne, Muslims taking over Canterbury/Bankstown, Vietnamese ghetto's in Brisband and Sydney - and other general loads of hysteria and frenzied rubbish. Fact is UK hasn't gone to the dogs and if the only way they can justify living in Australia is to rubbish their homeland then let them, I personally love it back here and wouldn't go back to Australia to live if you paid me.
I totally agree and have pointed these things out to them, but as you say they need to justify why they are here so choose not to believe it, or say it's not as bad as the UK.

While I am under no illusions that the UK doesn't have problems, most Western countries do, I certainly do not think it has gone to the dogs either.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Etc etc etc………

Do what feels right in your heart and soul - it is your life and no one elses. The people who truly matter will support your wishes regardless of whether they agree with you or not.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just want to say thanks for the replies and words of support.

Maybe I'm not so mad after all.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:44 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdunx
I personally love it back here and wouldn't go back to Australia to live if you paid me.
Most people have their price.............Not even a million could tempt you?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:53 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to say thanks for the replies and words of support.

Maybe I'm not so mad after all.
Not being from the UK and since being a member on here, one of the most enlightening things that I have read, is just how anti-british the aussies are but its even more suprising to read, just how many Brits that go to Aus and then they in turn become anti-British as well with their sentiments!!! It seems a lot need to run down the UK to justify that their new life in Aus is really wonderful. I wonder how many of these people actually really like their new lives in Aus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.