Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

European soccer/football question

Wikiposts

European soccer/football question

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:09 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: European soccer/football question

Leeds Vs Man U-Shited today!!

WOOP WOOP!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 5:10 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Observation ? when did Arsenal last win the Premier League,Champions League,World Club comp,FA Cup,Milk cup,Carling Cup or anything recently ?
Now look up Man Utd !... just an observation !
just didnt want ABY to think Arsenal were the b all and end all of British soccer(FOOTBALL) that is.
Let's rephrase the assumption, shall we?

Arsenal are the team that DESERVES to win everything. Man Utd are twats, but they DO win everything that Chelsea doesn't beat them at.

Fair assessment?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is fantastic! I, too, found the leagues very difficult to follow because no one laid out how they were structured in plain English.

My husband is beginning to get into European football (well, the style anyway) and is up to 4 football jerseys now.
Celtic
Rangers (yes, I realize it's ridiculous to own both!)
Manchester United
Munich (I couldn't figure out what British team to give him so I opted with one of his favorite European cities)

This reminds me of when I lived in Luxembourg and saw a teenager get on the bus wearing an Ohio State sweatshirt with a University of Michigan cap. Clueless but endearing, as long as he didn't come to our neck of the woods.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 1:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski

Arsenal are the team that DESERVES to win everything.
Arsenal no more deserve to win anything than Crewe Alex.
or Bristol City......
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:13 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Munich (I couldn't figure out what British team to give him so I opted with one of his favorite European cities)

1860 Munich or Bayern, you have to say which one (I am a pedant)
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
1860 Munich or Bayern, you have to say which one (I am a pedant)
Bayern Munich apparently.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:01 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Thought of another question...

Why is time added to the end of a game?

And just a couple general observations after watching the grand total of 2 1/2 games on TV...

Players seem to fall down a lot while battling for possesion, creating a stoppage in play. Sometimes the fall seemed justified, other times I was sceptical. The Manchester vs. Hull game was especially bad, seemed there was a whistle every 30 sec. I remember the name Fagan being involved in many of those.

The passing to shooting ratio is unbalanced, heavily in favor of passing. It is really nice passing though, with instances of exceptional ball handling and footwork by individual players.

If there were more shooting there would be a lot more scoring, I'd say due to the size of the net the keeper doesn't have a snowball's chance on a good percentage of shots.

All that said, I enjoyed watching the games.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:47 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Why is time added to the end of a game?

Players seem to fall down a lot while battling for possesion, creating a stoppage in play.
You've answered your own question there - the added time at the end is to account for significant stoppages - injury treatment on the pitch, substitutions, etc, during which play can't continue. Unlike major US sports the referee on the pitch is in charge of timekeeping and although most UK grounds will have some kind of clock on the scoreboard, it's not the official match time, which is entirely at the discretion of the referee.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

The added time (called injury time) is only for stoppages for treating an injured player (and also to compensate for any obvious time wasting tactics the ref sees). Regular stoppages for fouls, throw-ins, etc are not added on.

Also if you are playing Man Utd at Old Trafford and winning, the ref normally adds on however many minutes are necessary for Man Utd to score.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
The passing to shooting ratio is unbalanced, heavily in favor of passing. It is really nice passing though, with instances of exceptional ball handling and footwork by individual players.

If there were more shooting there would be a lot more scoring, I'd say due to the size of the net the keeper doesn't have a snowball's chance on a good percentage of shots.
This was actually the philosophy of English football during the 80's. Just whack the ball up field and try to get shots/headers on goal. Took about 15 years for people to realise it didn't work and actually passing and trying to create effective opportunities was more successful.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:26 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

saw a teenager get on the bus wearing an Ohio State sweatshirt with a University of Michigan cap. Clueless but endearing, as long as he didn't come to our neck of the woods.
Uh oh,
Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Uh oh,
He was a European teen, listening to rap music on headphones if I remember correctly. I got a big kick out of the combination.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

He was a European teen, listening to rap music on headphones if I remember correctly. I got a big kick out of the combination.
When I was a teenager one of my friends had a Chicago White Sox cap (I only know that now I live here, i had no idea it was a baseball team cap back then). For years i thought it said 'SEX' not 'SOX' and thought it was really cool.

Old Jan 6th 2010, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by orangemirror
When I was a teenager one of my friends had a Chicago White Sox cap (I only know that now I live here, i had no idea it was a baseball team cap back then). For years i thought it said 'SEX' not 'SOX' and thought it was really cool.
That's great. Did you try to get one too? Ever ask him about it?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 4:48 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Arsenal no more deserve to win anything than Crewe Alex.
or Bristol City......
Woo-hoo! I caught one! Now, how do we reel it in...