Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

EU - Will they lose their identities?

EU - Will they lose their identities?

Old Nov 29th 2007, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

Serenity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EU - Will they lose their identities?

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Some areas of the country now have road signs with translations into Polish beneath the English. Most towns now have special stores selling only Polish foods and other stuff. Some supermarkets have signs in Polish. Not many of us Brits care for pickled cabbage, beetroot soup and dark rye bread though so I reckon we'll give those a miss.
No, we'd rather have donner kebabs and a chicken tikka masala!!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:56 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

It's started already - some UK Police forces are now organsing courses for their officers to teach them basic phrases and commonly used terms.....in Polish.

Some areas of the country now have road signs with translations into Polish beneath the English. Most towns now have special stores selling only Polish foods and other stuff. Some supermarkets have signs in Polish. Not many of us Brits care for pickled cabbage, beetroot soup and dark rye bread though so I reckon we'll give those a miss.
you might enjoy this http://www.martinfrost.ws/htmlfiles/...6_plumber.html
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:57 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Tracy,

Have you ever watched the Eurovision Song Contest?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's started already - some UK Police forces are now organsing courses for their officers to teach them basic phrases and commonly used terms.....in Polish.

Pickled cabbage...are you kidding me? It's been sold in the UK for as long as I can remember.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Tracy,

Have you ever watched the Eurovision Song Contest?
Eurovision Block voting at its best!!!

Snowbunny makes a great point Tracy. Sadly there are certain countries (naming no names) that are glued at the hip (metaphorically speaking) and wouldn't dream of co-mingling (or even voting for in a stupid song contest) a country like the UK or France. In so doing they seem to ensure that they remain in compartmentalised societies (and political blocks iMO) and also... that a really crap, crap song wins Eurovision every year, without fail. (Giving Terry Wogan carte-blanche to get some good ole Euro-bashing done at the same time!) (Mind you, given our last song entry, we clearly deserved to finish " avec nil pointe" but even if flippin' Coldplay sung for us, we'd probably only get a sympathy vote from Ireland... and that'd be it!(

The UK's popularity seems to have waned in Europe of late - thanks to our US connections no doubt (blame it all on the Blair and Bush show if ya want) - and because of that we will never be allowed to lose our Britishness... and neither would we want to!

I think Europe will always be a melting pot of different cultures and politics, regardless of currency or trade. Which is exactly how it should be!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Eurovision Block voting at its best!!!

Snowbunny makes a great point Tracy. Sadly there are certain countries (naming no names) that are glued at the hip (metaphorically speaking) and wouldn't dream of co-mingling (or even voting for in a stupid song contest) a country like the UK or France. In so doing they seem to ensure that they remain in compartmentalised societies (and political blocks iMO) and also... that a really crap, crap song wins Eurovision every year, without fail. (Giving Terry Wogan carte-blanche to get some good ole Euro-bashing done at the same time!) (Mind you, given our last song entry, we clearly deserved to finish " avec nil pointe" but even if flippin' Coldplay sung for us, we'd probably only get a sympathy vote from Ireland... and that'd be it!(

The UK's popularity seems to have waned in Europe of late - thanks to our US connections no doubt (blame it all on the Blair and Bush show if ya want) - and because of that we will never be allowed to lose our Britishness... and neither would we want to!

I think Europe will always be a melting pot of different cultures and politics, regardless of currency or trade. Which is exactly how it should be!
No I haven't seen Eurovision. Interesting, I think I had heard something about prejudiced voting.

Wasn't there some scandals about that in Figure Skating at one time? Dim memory....

Personally, I hope all the countries hold on to their unique cultures. I just wondered if those of you closer to the situation than I thought there would be a lot of changes.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 11:17 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by keira-2007
:a really crap, crap song wins Eurovision every year, without fail. (Giving Terry Wogan carte-blanche to get some good ole Euro-bashing done at the same time!)
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:36 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Which is worse, the dance contest, or the song contest?

I don't think that being in the EU will homogenise the European cultures -- America is a far bigger influence. I think that the global movement from the country to the cities and "shrinking world" effect (jet travel, fast telecommunications, etc) are doing more to homogenise cultures (and even eliminate cultures and their customs and languages) than the EU ever could.

The UK bitches more about the EU than any other country I've noticed -- I don't hear the same stuff in the Netherlands which is a net contributor. You need Jeremy Clarkson's "Meet The Neighbours" and his take on Spain!
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:54 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Will I get stoned for saying I actually miss watching the Eurovision contest? Haven't seen it since I was a teen and we went on vacation to Portugal.....
Old Nov 30th 2007, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Will I get stoned for saying I actually miss watching the Eurovision contest? Haven't seen it since I was a teen and we went on vacation to Portugal.....
Yes Redlippie. Even for thinking such a thing, let alone saying it out loud on a forum is utterly inexcusable!

Secretly though I have to admit it was kind of addictive. You may not be aware who Terry Wogan is but it was worth watching it just for his commentary alone. Crumbs in recent years people have started having Eurovision parties at their homes whilst watching the bizarrely dressed "singers" perform. ("Singers" being an incredibly kind word to use with regards to some of the acts who entered...)
Old Nov 30th 2007, 2:31 am

I listen to a Portuguese based web radio and they have a Eurovision section with national/Eurovision hits that I sometimes put on
Old Nov 30th 2007, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

I listen to a Portuguese based web radio and they have a Eurovision section with national/Eurovision hits that I sometimes put on
Now that's just wrong... Do you feel like you need to go have a wash after admitting that?
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, you haven't missed much since then.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to all

I kinda see this happen but not just with the EU this will happen all over the globe i would bet a large sum of cash that there will be some kind of Transatlantic free trade area Between the Nafta Nations and EU some kind a of freedom of movement soon too .

I'm 23 and maybe its cause i grew up watching to much star Trek but i honest believe i will see the day before i die when the world is a unified economy and you can cross any boarder with out a passport maybe even a single currency .

allot of what is happening in the EU will start to happen with more and more regions of the world .
Old Dec 1st 2007, 10:43 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michaelmike5556
some kind a of freedom of movement soon too . .
Open borders for all across the globe within, say, the next 80 - 100 years?

Hmmm... Back to intertribal warfare then (???).

---

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.