Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

EU - Will they lose their identities?

EU - Will they lose their identities?

Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default EU - Will they lose their identities?

Just thinking about the EU - of course, it provided some advantages. A bunch of smaller countries banding together are of course more powerful. Free trade (I guess that's an advantage). For someone in the EU who wants to live in a different country, being able to just do so at will is nice for that person.

But I wonder - over time, what impact will it have on each country's culture? Will aspects of the culture be lost?

For just a minor example, I remember the varied (and sometimes beautiful) currency in the different European countries. The UK kept their own, but so many have been "lost" to the Euro.

If people can move and live in whatever country they want, do you think over time Britain will become less British, Germany less German, etc. Will the cultures blend significantly? Or still remain somehow quite distinct....
Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:28 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU - Will they lose their identities?

Originally Posted by Tracym
Just thinking about the EU - of course, it provided some advantages. A bunch of smaller countries banding together are of course more powerful. Free trade (I guess that's an advantage). For someone in the EU who wants to live in a different country, being able to just do so at will is nice for that person.

But I wonder - over time, what impact will it have on each country's culture? Will aspects of the culture be lost?

For just a minor example, I remember the varied (and sometimes beautiful) currency in the different European countries. The UK kept their own, but so many have been "lost" to the Euro.

If people can move and live in whatever country they want, do you think over time Britain will become less British, Germany less German, etc. Will the cultures blend significantly? Or still remain somehow quite distinct....

I believe that a one State Europe is already underway. It has started in the schools... by a process universally recognised as 'conditioning', allied with the open borders policy. National referendums amount to nothing. They are but a thorn in the side of the EU - for a time.

Free Trade already exists and has existed for years.

Over time, who knows if national cultures will disappear under a massive block of modernism? The EU is a process of bending people's thoughts around to its own way of thinking. People, their history, culture, traditions, amount to nuthin'. Or so it would appear.

The future benefits of the EU? We can only speculate. Less british, less German etc? Again, we can only speculate. Depends on one's genes, I suspect..

---

Last edited by britex01; Nov 28th 2007 at 1:54 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 1:54 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

I think what will keep the cultures separate will be the obvious - language.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 1:55 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Massive change over there; something that is transparent in the US news. The Euro (who rememers the Ecu?) may just end up being the dollar's replacement or at least a serious contender for the throne. It all seemed to go crash, bang, wallop over a few years - first the wall, then Europe, then the fact that the chunnel now connects Britain to Europe is something the new generations won't find odd. I think in another 10 to 20 years, there will be even more sweeping social and legal changes. Trouble is, which camp does Britain want to ally to? The US or Europe? Going it alone just doesn't seem to be a viable option anymore, how could Britain possibly compete?

As for culture melding, surely that's inevitable.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:44 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

The EU could be called the the United States of Europe instead. Think of the US and that's where Europe is going.. at least as far as economic matters go.. Europe is much older and has many different languages and this heritage will never be lost. I don't think Britain or Germany will be less British or less German only more cosmopolitan..
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:23 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it, England & Scotland have been in this situation for quite some time and there are still very distinctive cultural differences. For that matter a there are some pretty big cultural differences between Newcastle and Plymouth or Oxford and Liverpool or Newport and Belfast.

Free trade is a big issue - the EU club helps permit general standards so if you make a lawn mower in Coventry the noise/safety criteria are the same in the UK as Spain or Sweden - this enables companies to work to one standard rather than 27 if they want to sell across Europe - gives easier access to a larger market.

Being in the same currency can help as well - as anyone who has moved abroad and bought property etc can testify, currency fluctuations can be a headache. The only reason I can see not to join the Euro is that the economies are not closely tied enough yet and an interest rate that works for Spain and Italy may not be right for Sweden and the UK.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Serenity is an unknown quantity at this point

But what does one mean by identity?

Some countries aren't mono-lingual, some countries have wide variations in tradition depending upon geographical location. From what era are we talking about this identity coming from?

My Brit identity is different from my parents Brit identity. My child's Brit identity will be different from mine. Identity is always in flux despite the fact that people try to fix it as something.

I think there's much less to fear from the EU than global American media for us English speakers! I was on a Brit parenting forum recently and was gobsmacked by the fact some people on there were arguing that we shouldn't have church schools because we have a seperation of church and state in this (Britain) country!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serenity
But what does one mean by identity?

Some countries aren't mono-lingual, some countries have wide variations in tradition depending upon geographical location. From what era are we talking about this identity coming from?

My Brit identity is different from my parents Brit identity. My child's Brit identity will be different from mine. Identity is always in flux despite the fact that people try to fix it as something.

I think there's much less to fear from the EU than global American media for us English speakers! I was on a Brit parenting forum recently and was gobsmacked by the fact some people on there were arguing that we shouldn't have church schools because we have a seperation of church and state in this (Britain) country!
I know my Keith does talk about how American customs and phrases are creeping into Britain.

Quite a shame, imo - I'm all for the preservation of different cultures and customs.

And omg re the school bit. I am all for separation of church and state (in the US where it is the law!) but to be so ignorant of one's own country....
Old Nov 29th 2007, 2:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And omg re the school bit. I am all for separation of church and state (in the US where it is the law!) ....
doesn't seem to be working very well though does it...
Old Nov 29th 2007, 2:38 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serenity
... My Brit identity is different from my parents Brit identity. My child's Brit identity will be different from mine. Identity is always in flux despite the fact that people try to fix it as something.
I think there is valid reasoning in what you say. What youngsters identified as 'British' in the 1960's was, for example, viewed by parents and grandparents as not belonging their own 'virtues' and so forth. In a hundred years time what characteristics will be identified as 'British' as opposed to today's Britons? The same applies to other nationalities, I suspect.

---

Last edited by britex01; Nov 29th 2007 at 3:04 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 2:57 pm
In yonder hills

I know my Keith does talk about how American customs and phrases are creeping into Britain.
American customs and phrases have been creeping into British society from as far back as the 1950s, possibly earlier. This became more widespread in the 1960's. Hollywood was a large and influential stage in those earlier days, with its western and WW11 films, musicals and so on. Eventually, US-style supermarkets and such as MacDonalds crept into Britain.

I think Britain today is already well and truly heeled with Americanisms. I've been using some for years! ... ... Or is that because I'm of Anglo-American blood anyway? ...

---

Last edited by britex01; Nov 29th 2007 at 3:00 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 4:31 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a shame, imo - I'm all for the preservation of different cultures and customs.
And omg re the school bit. I am all for separation of church and state (in the US where it is the law!) but to be so ignorant of one's own country....
"Congress shall make no law concerning the establishment of religion" or something like that. Its very vague.
Its a shame that in the US you cannot find a private school for your kids which isn't church-based it limits the options a bit.
Would you say that England is one of the most agnostic countries (in effect) going now? Its seems the state/religion connection isn't a gurantee that the place will be highly religious. Everyone has a choice, after all, right?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 5:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
"Congress shall make no law concerning the establishment of religion" or something like that. Its very vague.
Its a shame that in the US you cannot find a private school for your kids which isn't church-based it limits the options a bit.
Would you say that England is one of the most agnostic countries (in effect) going now? Its seems the state/religion connection isn't a gurantee that the place will be highly religious. Everyone has a choice, after all, right?
Incorrect...many private schools in this area are not church based.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 29th 2007 at 5:06 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 5:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Incorrect...many private schools in this area are not church based.
Ditto here.. the majority here are not church connected.

But we are a well-known heathen enclave out here..
Old Nov 29th 2007, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

...... do you think over time Britain will become less British....
It's started already - some UK Police forces are now organsing courses for their officers to teach them basic phrases and commonly used terms.....in Polish.

Some areas of the country now have road signs with translations into Polish beneath the English. Most towns now have special stores selling only Polish foods and other stuff. Some supermarkets have signs in Polish. Not many of us Brits care for pickled cabbage, beetroot soup and dark rye bread though so I reckon we'll give those a miss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.