Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Eu citizien with non-eu spouse (turkish) to travel for holiday in England

Eu citizien with non-eu spouse (turkish) to travel for holiday in England

Old May 17th 2018, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

littlemad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eu citizien with non-eu spouse (turkish) to travel for holiday in England

Hi everyone, I would like to ask this question just because I am unsure about the law in UK about turkish citiziens.

I am italian and I am married with my turkish wife since more than 4 year, we both live and work in Spain, and she has the spanish residence card with 5 years validity. We would like to go to London for a weekend (4 days tops...) and I remember that England doesn't accept Turkish people without a visa.

I wanted to know if this rules apply as well to married couples or not, and what should I do to ensure no problem at border control (like bring the marriage papers? or just the spanish residence card is enough?)

Any help is welcome!!! Thank you in advance
Old May 18th 2018, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

barkus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Eu citizien with non-eu spouse (turkish) to travel for holiday in England

Originally Posted by littlemad
Hi everyone, I would like to ask this question just because I am unsure about the law in UK about turkish citiziens.

I am italian and I am married with my turkish wife since more than 4 year, we both live and work in Spain, and she has the spanish residence card with 5 years validity. We would like to go to London for a weekend (4 days tops...) and I remember that England doesn't accept Turkish people without a visa.

I wanted to know if this rules apply as well to married couples or not, and what should I do to ensure no problem at border control (like bring the marriage papers? or just the spanish residence card is enough?)

Any help is welcome!!! Thank you in advance
I stand to be corrected, but because you are eu citizen not from uk it does not matter where your wife is from, EU rules/law apply. They have to facilitate entry for you/her visa rapidly and free of charge if you apply for one. Technically you don;t need a visa but can avoid lots of problems and questions if you get her one. I hope I have given you correct advice. On arrival at UK she can work the same day if she wants. You will need insurance for her.
Old May 18th 2018, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Eu citizien with non-eu spouse (turkish) to travel for holiday in England

Thank you for the answer Barkus, but I feel that they could be bothersome at passport control, we had a similar trouble in Cyprus, and we had to make a visa on the spot by paying, double check our contacts on where we were going and after a while let us go. We were just in holiday!!!!
I don't know how you are supposed to argue in situation like that when they want to make you pay for entering with a visa and stuff...

After a lot of searching I found this about article 10 residence card, we have that card
gov.uk/government/publications/entering-the-uk-as-the-holder-of-an-article-10-residence-card/entering-the-uk-as-the-holder-of-an-article-10-residence-card

I really want to be sure that they not gonna create problem. We gonna try to call British Embassy in Barcelona and ask their advice as well, I worry that in being limitation for Turkish citiziens will bite us in the ass.

Last edited by littlemad; May 18th 2018 at 5:53 am.
Old May 18th 2018, 2:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If your wife holds a valid Article 10 residence card and you are travelling together then she doesn't need an EEA Family Permit. It doesn't matter which passport she holds. You should however also take your marriage certificate. The British consulate is unlikely to answer any immigration questions.

Last edited by BritInParis; May 18th 2018 at 2:55 pm. Reason: Typo
Old May 18th 2018, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much!!!!