Estate Executor

Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Estate Executor

I apologize if this isn't quite the right forum for this, so if there's a better one, please let me know.

My uncle died recently in London, and I am one of two executors for his estate... fortunately he had a will. Sorting out flight details from the US is the easy bit, but I've never been an executor, so I was wondering if anyone has experience as an executor for someone in the UK. I'd appreciate some tips and/or things I need to know - including travelling tips!

Ian
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estate Executor

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I apologize if this isn't quite the right forum for this, so if there's a better one, please let me know.

My uncle died recently in London, and I am one of two executors for his estate... fortunately he had a will. Sorting out flight details from the US is the easy bit, but I've never been an executor, so I was wondering if anyone has experience as an executor for someone in the UK. I'd appreciate some tips and/or things I need to know - including travelling tips!

Ian
I was joint executor with my sister and BIL (who are in the UK) for my dad when he died last year. The solicitor said that as long as I was happy for them to act on my behalf then I didn't need to do anything, except sign a bit of paper giving them the legal right to act on my behalf. It wasn't a big estate and I trust them so they signed all the papers as the flat was sold and probate was dealt with.
The other alternative was that the stuff that needed signing by executors would have been faxed or posted to Australia, and then been posted back - elongating the whole process. I was in the UK for the funeral and reading the will etc but had to come back to Aus after a couple of weeks.

The money from the sale of the flat, refunds of direct debits etc all went into an Executors bank account. We opened that in their names as it was easier with me being a non-resident, but its made quite clear that it is an executors account, and the bank is made aware of this. I could have asked for a breakdown at the end of every penny that came in and went out, and legally they would've had to provide that.

From what I remember from the solicitor talking to us, she said that she could do probate for us, which was quite easy in dad's case, just a question of calling in any debts (standing orders overpaid etc), closing bank accounts and selling the flat.
The flat didn't have to be sold before probate was applied for, but the accounts all had to be closed and the money paid into the central account.

Sis and BIL did the probate themselves as he likes doing that sort of paperwork and it saved us paying the solicitor's fees.

I guess the questions to ask are - how much money/property etc is involved, is it likely to be straightforward to sort out, and do you trust the other executor(s).

Hope that helps a bit!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 3:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Ian

This is a good starting point (it was published in 1999 but I do not think the fundamentals have changed):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Executors-Ha...2868652&sr=8-2

The UK Motley Fool has a 'Wills and Probate' board:

www.fool.co.uk
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The solicitor said that as long as I was happy for them to act on my behalf then I didn't need to do anything, except sign a bit of paper giving them the legal right to act on my behalf.
This is good to know. My cousin, who lives in London, is the other executor. I've never actually met him, but since my uncle lived in a nursing home for the last 2 or 3 years, he probably doesn't have much left in the way of savings/assets... so I would be comfortable with him handling all of this. Then again, it would definitely be fun to visit London for just about any reason. Thanks!

Ian
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
The UK Motley Fool has a 'Wills and Probate' board: www.fool.co.uk
This was a great resource. Somone published a 6-part series on W&P which I've copied for reference! Many thanks!

Ian
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Estate Executor

T.........it would definitely be fun to visit London for just about any reason. Thanks!

Ian
Now you're talking!!