Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Estate Agents, Private Landlords etc.

Estate Agents, Private Landlords etc.

Old Jan 26th 2016, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Estate Agents, Private Landlords etc.

I am considering moving to Scotland soon and am a bit in the dark about how to go about finding a house or apartment to rent. I was fortunate to find my current home through a friend so I didn't have to find one "cold turkey".

What are the things I need to watch out for when trying to rent? I seem to recall someone said beware of estate agents but perhaps it was go through an estate agent only but I can't remember.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estate Agents, Private Landlords etc.

Did N'orn Ireland not work out?
I'm interested because occasionally I think I should move back there.....
Old Jan 26th 2016, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I am considering moving to Scotland soon and am a bit in the dark about how to go about finding a house or apartment to rent. I was fortunate to find my current home through a friend so I didn't have to find one "cold turkey".

What are the things I need to watch out for when trying to rent? I seem to recall someone said beware of estate agents but perhaps it was go through an estate agent only but I can't remember.
Well I would definitely go through a letting agent. They might not all be perfect but they are running a business and more likely to be up to date with relevant legislation and landlord obligations than your average private landlord.

As a former (reluctant) landlord myself whilst living overseas, my estate agent / letting agent cared far more about the tenants welfare than mine!
Old Jan 26th 2016, 7:29 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong

If you're moving to Scotland, there are some significant differences in housing law between England and Scotland, so a lot of English-oriented advice will be wrong. (I think the biggest thing is that letting agents there can't actually charge you fees?)

If you're new to renting in whichever country, I'd always recommend using a reputable high street letting agent. Use Rightmove to find out which agents are most active in the areas you're interested in, and contact them directly to discuss what you're looking for. Too many pitfalls and scams with private landlords, if you don't know them personally or are unfamiliar with the area.