British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Estate agent speak ... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/estate-agent-speak-869090/)

Novocastrian Apr 9th 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Estate agent speak ...

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 11918092)
Congratulations. I hope your move goes smoothly.

Thanks. The move will be as smooth as poured treacle...and about as fast. ;)

The apartment is, or will be, devoid of furnishings on April 29th. However we're not in a rush to move in since we have a few months left on the rental contract for our present (furnished) flat. HID has identified what "we" want to buy but I've vetoed actually ordering stuff until the contracts were exchanged.

spouse of scouse Apr 9th 2016 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11918099)
Thanks. The move will be as smooth as poured treacle...and about as fast. ;)

The apartment is, or will be, devoid of furnishings on April 29th. However we're not in a rush to move in since we have a few months left on the rental contract for our present (furnished) flat. HID has identified what "we" want to buy but I've vetoed actually ordering stuff until the contracts were exchanged.

Don't forget to check that what you order will actually fit through the front door. If I'd taken my own advice, we wouldn't have had to remove the mother of all bay windows in order to get the sofas in :o

Novocastrian Apr 9th 2016 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11918114)
Don't forget to check that what you order will actually fit through the front door. If I'd taken my own advice, we wouldn't have had to remove the mother of all bay windows in order to get the sofas in :o

An excellent piece of advice that.

feelbritish Apr 10th 2016 6:43 am

Wishing you loads of happiness in your new apartment and that the move goes smoothly.

Pulaski Apr 10th 2016 12:55 pm

Don't forget to check that what you order will actually fit through the front door. If I'd taken my own advice, we wouldn't have had to remove the mother of all bay windows in order to get the sofas in. ....

When I bought my house in London it already had a sofa and chairs, and I have no idea how they were moved in to a small terraced house as the hallway was quite narrow, and they were quite large. When I sold the house five years later, I sold it with the sofa and chairs still in the living room. :lol:

Novocastrian Apr 10th 2016 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11918893)
When I bought my house in London it already had a sofa and chairs, and I have no idea how they were moved in to a small terraced house as the hallway was quite narrow, and they were quite large. When I sold the house five years later, I sold it with the sofa and chairs still in the living room. :lol:

These days they have gro-bags for sofas. You just plant one from a doll's house and water it carefully. :nod:

spouse of scouse Apr 10th 2016 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11918893)

I suspect that either a door or a window was removed to get them in - I was so embarrassed when I realized what I'd done! That's what I get for ordering stuff online from Australia :lol:

Good idea about selling them with the house, Scouse has said the same as he refuses to go through the demolition process again.

spouse of scouse Apr 10th 2016 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11919059)
These days they have gro-bags for sofas. You just plant one from a doll's house and water it carefully. :nod:

That wouldn't be any good for me, everything I plant dies :o

BEVS Apr 10th 2016 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11918067)
Update: Contracts were exchanged yesterday and completion will be on April 29th.
Thanks for all the advice in the thread.

Novo.

Great news on the home front.
Very many congrats Novo. :)

There is Novo place like your own home.

dmu Apr 11th 2016 7:31 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11919266)
Great news on the home front.
Very many congrats Novo. :)

There is Novo place like your own home.

Couldn't find a "groan" smiley....
Hope you're still with us in France, Novo!:)

Novocastrian Apr 11th 2016 8:18 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 11919503)
Couldn't find a "groan" smiley....
Hope you're still with us in France, Novo!:)

Nor could I, so I put it in a karma message to BEVS. ;)

The plan is 50/50 UK/France for the next few years. We'll see what happens next when it does.

Shirtback Apr 11th 2016 1:36 pm

:goodpost:. Similar shenanigans took place when we were selling Mother Dearest's house & trying to *remove* furniture... I couldn't for the life of me work out, at first, how we got the piano *in* originally: Then I remembered we'd renovated/reconfigured rooms & moved a doorway...

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11918139)
An excellent piece of advice that.

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 11918611)
Wishing you loads of happiness in your new apartment and that the move goes smoothly.

Ditto!

BEVS Apr 11th 2016 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11919542)
Nor could I, so I put it in a karma message to BEVS. ;)

:devil_smile:

Novocastrian Sep 7th 2016 5:09 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry to dig up this oldish thread, but I did promise to post some photos of the apartment we bought in April...

I was a bit bored this afternoon so I took some pictures....

fulwood Sep 7th 2016 5:16 pm

Love the photos of your apartment. What a view you have!