Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Establish 3yr Residency for University?

Establish 3yr Residency for University?

Old Jun 22nd 2004, 3:54 am
Just Joined

LiverpoolLou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Establish 3yr Residency for University?

I'm a British expat living in the USA (20 years) married to US citizen. I go back to England at least once a year and am very close to all my sisters and mum and dad, all still in England. Both my children hold US & UK passports and my youngest (now 15) wants to move to England at 18 and attend university there, living either in the dorm, or with my sister who lives in London, and is like a second mum to her. I've just started looking into this and am finding out that we have to be resident 3 years before then in order for her not to have international rates which would be too prohibative for us. This summer would be the start of that 3 year deadline, and I wonder if anyone has advice on what's best to do? I cannot move back to the UK right now, but can I establish myself as a resident and what exactly do the universities ask for as 'proof' of residency? Also, if anyone knows of a lawyer who I could consult for advice, that would be great too!
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 7:47 am
Wiggle

Default Re: Establish 3yr Residency for University?

Originally posted by LiverpoolLou
I cannot move back to the UK right now, but can I establish myself as a resident and what exactly do the universities ask for as 'proof' of residency?
"residency : the act of dwelling in a place"

I would have though residency means exactly that .. that you have to live here full time to legaly obtain that status.

Are you asking for help to commit a fraud so that you can get cheaper education?

Old Jun 22nd 2004, 9:55 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by LiverpoolLou
I'm a British expat living in the USA (20 years) married to US citizen. I go back to England at least once a year and am very close to all my sisters and mum and dad, all still in England. Both my children hold US & UK passports and my youngest (now 15) wants to move to England at 18 and attend university there, living either in the dorm, or with my sister who lives in London, and is like a second mum to her. I've just started looking into this and am finding out that we have to be resident 3 years before then in order for her not to have international rates which would be too prohibative for us. This summer would be the start of that 3 year deadline, and I wonder if anyone has advice on what's best to do? I cannot move back to the UK right now, but can I establish myself as a resident and what exactly do the universities ask for as 'proof' of residency? Also, if anyone knows of a lawyer who I could consult for advice, that would be great too!
You might need to consider the tax implications of re-establishing residence in the UK.

If you are considering letting her spend the next 3 years in the UK, you should probably check whether it is her place of residence or yours that counts. I think she is unlikely to be considered resident if she just came to school here and only stayed in the country during term-time. There used to be something about being resident not just for the purpose of education.

I suspect proving residence means showing some sort of committment to being here. Many years ago (before the EU countries qualified for home fees), I had a British friend who lived with her grandparents for a couple of years (holidays as well as term) because her parents worked in Germany (for a UK government sponsored agency ironically!) so she would have been regarded as an overseas student. I should point out that she had also spent a most of her chidhood in the UK before her parents got posted to Germany. Not sure if you can do that now as there are probably different rules these days.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

LiverpoolLou is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies. I reread my note and while it does sound like I'm trying to get something for nothing, it's not true. In fact, for the last two years I've househunted with the hope of living part time in the USA and part time in the UK since I miss home and my family very much, even after all these years. I'd like nothing more than to be a British resident again, regardless of schooling or any other considerations, however, house prices have risen so horribly, it sems impossible to buy anything. Also, since I'm married to an American and have a child who is about to go to college in America, moving to England on a full time basis at this point is not possible. I'm certainly not trying to scam the system, and was asking only a legitimate question. Just wanted to clear that up! Thanks
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

donglemouse is an unknown quantity at this point

I think for you to be resident you basically need to spend at least half of the tax year in the UK (183 days)..........and keep passing this test for every tax year
Old Jun 24th 2004, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Just wondering, she wouldn't have to do A-levels or anything to get in? They would accept the high school diploma instead?
Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

We were told we (my son) had to live in uk for 3 years to be classed as resident. So that is partly why we returned from Singapore in 2002 - he has just finished A levels and is starting a gap year to make up the 3 yrs.

Having said that we had quite a few friends in Sing. whose children went to uni in uk straight from Sing. If you can prove your husband or you have been working abroad for a uk business, with a contract- then you could still be classed resident.( Having a property here isn't an advantage As we found out to our cost when we tried to enroll our daughter into the local secondary school-no places available- another story!! )
Also there are some universities that might take your daughter without the 3 yrs, usually the less popular courses, this might depend on the local education office too of course.

If you can't get her over here for 3 yrs you are looking at £10-12000 PA fees as an overseas student! :scared:
H.