Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

English Expat, married in U.S. should we marry again in U.K this summer?

English Expat, married in U.S. should we marry again in U.K this summer?

Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

LondonLou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English Expat, married in U.S. should we marry again in U.K this summer?

I don't think that I mentioned English Citizenship, I wrote UK Citizenship. My dad is from Glasgow so I am aware that I am British! Thanks for the advice on the spousal visa and for the info on the the other web site. I am eligible for naturalization now, they gave me the paperwork. I will get onto that soon. I have no intention of leaving America for more that two months so I should be just fine but I will get moving on becoming a citizen now rather than putting it off.

Lou

Originally Posted by notacrime
There is no such thing as English citizenship. As much as I'd love to be a Scottish citizen I'm not, I'm a British citizen, as are you.

My USC wife was able to get a UK spousal visa through the British consulate in LA, we were living in San Francisco at the time. It took about an hour. That visa allows her to work here in the UK. (The site uk-yankee.com is a better source of advice on such visas than this site.)

I am unaware of any requirement that a British citizen enter the UK using their British passport. I have been told informally that this is not a requirement, but I am doing more research into this too. Getting the passport through the post office takes about 2 weeks, and you'll need an address in the UK that the passport can be sent to.

Rene gave you a great list, you should follow that. You should definitely get your US citizenship sorted out before you leave the US for more than 6 months. Since you have been married to your USC husband for 5 years you are almost certainly eligible to naturalize now.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Expat, married in U.S. should we marry again in U.K this summer?

Originally Posted by MsElui
your son will need to enter the usa with his american passport but can use any other passport hes entitled to for entry into other countries.
I agree. LondonLou, here's a link to get your started on your own naturalization app, but I highly highly recommend that you read the linked article "Dual Citizenship FAQ" by Rich Wales.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonLou
I don't think that I mentioned English Citizenship, I wrote UK Citizenship.
was told by a friend that he would not need a visa to work in England because being married to an English citizen is enough but maybe I should look into that more.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
I am unaware of any requirement that a British citizen enter the UK using their British passport. I have been told informally that this is not a requirement, but I am doing more research into this too. .
While that may be the case, any foreign visitor (i.e. non-EEC passport) coming to the UK could be refused entry by the POE official. Obviously this can't happen with a UK passport. Also they may be limited to 6-months entry if they successfully do negotiate the barrier. Again no time limits with the UK PP.