Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Emigrating Twice. Does it work the second time?

Wikiposts

Emigrating Twice. Does it work the second time?

Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:01 pm

jackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nice
Default Re: Emigrating Twice. Does it work the second time?

Originally Posted by Neil51
After five years of planning the emigration, my wife and I have just returned to the UK after just six weeks in Australia. Everything that could go wrong seemed to, and we were left with no job and no home because the job we went to and the town in which the job was based were awful.
We had two children with us and because of this we felt that we had to go back and take stock of things.
Prior to returning to the UK we saw other parts of Australia that were everything we wanted in a new home, and so my wife wants to go back for a second try. I'm not sure whether I've got the motivation to do this and wondered whether anyone else had made a success of a second emigration attempt. We got told by many people that lots of emigrants go home but later return, and I just wondered whether this is true.

I believe Rooksie/RooksieJ went back for a second attempt and by all accounts its going great for them
Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

My aunt came out in the early 1980's and returned to the UK after 18 months. She was in the UK for 3 months and decided to come back again, but by this time she'd bought into a B&B in Blackpool and had to sell before they could afford to come back. It took her over 3 years to sell the place and she just managed to get a RRV so she could get back in.

She's been here ever since and as much as she loves the UK, she loves Australia more and wouldn't even consider going back.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 8:14 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Neil51,

Do you know how to fly a spaceship? No? Do you accept that you don't know how to fly a spaceship? I don't know how to fly one and am quite happy about that.

Do you know how to emmigrate? You have to think about that.

You need to know a bit, be a bit lucky, work hard, understand it and be lucky again. Alternatively you need to know how to do it.

So rather than ask us, why not ask yourself.

All we can tell you is that it is great to be abroad or crap to be abroad. And to answer specific questions.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

I belive the ones who are the most grateful and enjoy it the most, become the most patriotic are the ping-pongers ! And that is coming from someone who never thought that she'd say that !
Old Sep 28th 2007, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniee
I belive the ones who are the most grateful and enjoy it the most, become the most patriotic are the ping-pongers ! And that is coming from someone who never thought that she'd say that !
I think I agree with that
While I have no plans (or means if I had the plans) to go back, I do think of the mistakes I made first time round and believe that if I have learnt from them and did things in a different way - it would work out 2nd time around.

But is this fanciful because whatever preparation I did and whatevr I could control, one thing I couldnt control is the emotions/homesickness that I couldnt deal with last time. And I really dont want to go down that way again...

But....emotions aside...had I have kept my house and rented it in the Uk and only left for Oz with a firm job offer that paid for relocation, I think we wouldve stood a better chance and maybe the stress wouldnt of been so great/stakes too high.

I think you have to be honest and decide firstly if the problems first time round we emotional,practical or both. Then be honest as to whether these can be dealt with second time around - or are you likely to fall into the same traps again.

Also, dont underestimate reverse culture shock (OP). You havent been back in the UK for long and that, rose tints for wherever you're not and disappointment with the fact it never worked out will all contribute to you feeling you want to go back. We have decided to give it a year and a half enjoying the UK for all it has to offer, then hopefully we could have a more objective discussion further down the line, when the fallouts gone, if one of us gets itchy feet again. Until then, how do you know you are not having a knee jerk reaction?

Good luck. This migration lark really does your head in, doesnt it?

Chrissy
Old Sep 29th 2007, 7:18 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

We're looking to head back to Sydney in early 2008. It's getting earlier and earlier, now looking like Feb-Apr due to a job opportunity. We were really wanting to explore the UK/Europe more than we have. But the weather and traffic have revealed just how stressful that is with a toddler in tow. The only hard part about leaving this time around is leaving some close familt behind, but they live hours away and we've decided we can't make decisions based on other people who may even move themselves. We are looking forward to having a great quality of day to day life again, and spending more time outdoors.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

I ping ponged back after 14 months back in UK to a different area - where we'd initially intended to move to but didnt. Glad in many ways I tried the other place. Lovely as it was, much as I loved it for ages, I came to realise all the reasons I'd moved back the 1st time were the same reasons I knew I wanted to return to UK. Some were push factors from Oz, some pull factors to UK.
So, yes it did work for me as I know I dont want to live in Oz again - priceless that.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:56 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buggalugs
Hello Teacup

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed your post, especially when you wrote "The 3rd and 4th year were the worst for me. I had joined everything, got involved in my job, travelled around and generally done everything to integrate without going overboard about it. Yet I felt lonely and sometimes quite despairing; you talk the same language but not really. The North American mindset can be very different and frankly, more than anything, I missed my family and friends". After 12 years in BC, this is exactly how I still feel at times, its not that I dont have friends its just that it isnt the same as back home, there there are people that know and love you, warts and all and I miss that. I also miss that uniquely british sense of humour, do you? I am in Victoria BC, wish I was in Vancouver we could of had a cup of tea together. I am originally from South Manchester (cheshire) Where are you from?
Buggalugs

Same here Teacup. We went to Vancouver in 98 and returned about 3 summers ago. You hit the nail on the head. Funny thing is i'd probably return to Van now cos i actually miss the old easy going way over there. It was the weekends I missed back here in England not the week days. We're off again after xmas, but where... we still haven't decided.