Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Eligible for class 2 when working abroad? --> from RestofWorld to MBTTUK

Eligible for class 2 when working abroad? --> from RestofWorld to MBTTUK

Old Nov 23rd 2014, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

MDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eligible for class 2 when working abroad? --> from RestofWorld to MBTTUK

Dear all,

I'm newly joined to the forum and have a query I'm hoping somebody can help me with. It is with regards eligibility to claim class 2 NIC's when working abroad... On the NI38/CF83 form it is possible to claim class 2 when working abroad if one was unemployed before going abroad. However, in the summary table on the gov.uk website it only mentions about being employed or self-employed before living abroad to be eligible: (https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...ons/who-can-pa...). Might anyone know if this is just a mistake on the gov website?

I would imagine the NI38 would be the more reliable - and even though it was published in Feb 2013 surely if it has not been updated (and I'm not aware it has been). From page 9 of the NI38 form:

"immediately before going abroad you were ordinarily an employed or self-employed earner or registered unemployed in the UK"

Sorry this is long-winded but would appreciate any confirmation of this. Cheers.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 9:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Eligible for class 2 when working abroad? ----> moved to MBTTUK

Hi there and welcome to BE.

I am going to move your query over to our MBTTUK forum for the time being.

There are more people there that may be able to help with this.

Where are you currently residing as it may be more relevant to place into the country you are currently living and working in.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 1:52 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eligible for class 2 when working abroad? --> from RestofWorld to MBTTUK

Go with the NI38 leaflet.....make the claim to pay Class 2.....all they can do is say no....but they should say yes
Old Nov 24th 2014, 11:07 am
Just Joined

MDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eligible for class 2 when working abroad? --> from RestofWorld to MBTTUK

Ok thanks for that. As a bit more context: I was working abroad and paying class 2 and then I came back to the UK; I wasn't sure how long I would stay (was having a career break) so did not inform HMRC of change of address... I've ended up staying for longer than I expected and nearly for one year (!). I'm probably going to go abroad again in the very near future for work. So, I am wondering if I should just inform HMRC of my change of address when I'm at my new address abroad (and thus continue the class 2 payments as usual); or tell them now about my UK stint (which would probably involve having to back pay at class 3; and then some hassle in applying for class 2 again when I'm abroad). I guess I should just be up front and call them now, although feel a bit embarrassed as I've left it quite long. Any further thoughts much appreciated? Cheers.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 11:42 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Eligible for class 2 when working abroad? --> from RestofWorld to MBTTUK

Originally Posted by MDiligent
Ok thanks for that. As a bit more context: I was working abroad and paying class 2 and then I came back to the UK; I wasn't sure how long I would stay (was having a career break) so did not inform HMRC of change of address... I've ended up staying for longer than I expected and nearly for one year (!). I'm probably going to go abroad again in the very near future for work. So, I am wondering if I should just inform HMRC of my change of address when I'm at my new address abroad (and thus continue the class 2 payments as usual); or tell them now about my UK stint (which would probably involve having to back pay at class 3; and then some hassle in applying for class 2 again when I'm abroad). I guess I should just be up front and call them now, although feel a bit embarrassed as I've left it quite long. Any further thoughts much appreciated? Cheers.
How long are you talking about?

I seem to recall that you can make voluntary payments for up to 6 complete tax years if you didn't get round to it when you left the UK. Do double-check as this may have changed recently!

It may be helpful for you to request a 'Pension Forecast' - it will show you what you have paid in so far and how many more years of payments you will need in future to get a full State pension.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 12:15 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MDiligent
Well you should have told HMRC that you were back in the UK as it will affect how you are taxed.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Yes I know... well I think I'll tell them anyway. Cheers
Old Nov 26th 2014, 12:55 pm
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Hello MDiligent,

This website will help you:

The State Pension | The Pensions Advisory Service
Old Nov 27th 2014, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks