Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Electronics from U.S. to U.K. (bye bye nice tv ;-))

Electronics from U.S. to U.K. (bye bye nice tv ;-))

Old Jul 22nd 2007, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Electronics from U.S. to U.K. (bye bye nice tv ;-))

Well, I waved our LCD TV off this morning as someone came by to buy it. We decided to sell it rather than worry it would get broken by shipping it (chances are it would not work, anyway).

There are a few electronic things we don't want to part with, if we can help with. Has anyone successfully shipped and can still use any of the following (from the US):

Power tools (husband has a lot of woodworking stuff, and goes white when I suggest we might not be able to take them). Can we easily get a transformer so they'll work over there?

Lamps. I have a couple of nice ones. How easy are they to rewire? Anyone done this?

Laptop computer. I am thinking this will be ok, but is there anything I need to take into account that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electronics from U.S. to U.K. (bye bye nice tv ;-))

My lamps are the one thing I wish I had brought over. Pretty much the ones here are butt ugly. There is a small elctronic shop in our village that rewires lamps and our village is not that large so I would think rewiring would be fairly easy to have done.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:47 am
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gingajoy
Well, I waved our LCD TV off this morning as someone came by to buy it. We decided to sell it rather than worry it would get broken by shipping it (chances are it would not work, anyway).

There are a few electronic things we don't want to part with, if we can help with. Has anyone successfully shipped and can still use any of the following (from the US):

Power tools (husband has a lot of woodworking stuff, and goes white when I suggest we might not be able to take them). Can we easily get a transformer so they'll work over there?

Lamps. I have a couple of nice ones. How easy are they to rewire? Anyone done this?

Laptop computer. I am thinking this will be ok, but is there anything I need to take into account that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

The laptop should be fine with a 9.99 Walmart adapter, as most are dual sensing over a wide range 100 to 250 volts.

With the other equipment you are going to have to use a step up transformer or adapter. Only heavy electrical equipment in the States is 220v. Nearly all small electrical equipment is 110v. If you have any queries once you get to England, just ask a licenced electrician for advice, its well worth the money.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Transformers we've bought in the US tend to be very big, heavy and get very hot.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:06 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

EDIT -
(I read UK to US)

So just use 240v screw cap bulbs in the UK with a new plug on them

Last edited by Pony; Jul 23rd 2007 at 3:08 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

guaporusty is an unknown quantity at this point

I took a laptop over and ran it through an adapter and surge protector...it still got fried. Do your research well! (It did take a few months, though).
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We took our laptop from Canada to Australia. We blew up the laptop in the first month, even with the transformer thingy. My blowdryer, even on "cold" got so hot I burned a large chunk of hair off one morning. As Jerseygirl says, the transformers from US to UK/Australia get VERY hot and they are big and cumbersome.
If it were me, I'd sell it all and buy new over there. Except for the lamps, which are easy to rewire.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:33 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by guaporusty
I took a laptop over and ran it through an adapter and surge protector...it still got fried. Do your research well! (It did take a few months, though).
I've been using my Mac laptop here for well over a year with no problems - only had to change the plug on it, nothing else, same with our other Macs.

Ipod's been working just fine also.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all

thank you all! I am definitely bringing the lamps. I'll wait and see with the laptop, tho. As for Huz's power tools. I think we'll seek professional advice before he fries himself in the garage
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks!
Hi

We shipped back all our 110V power tools from Canada. I rewired the 110V 15A to 230V tranformer I purchased in Calgary to run all my Canadain/US tools. You can by step tranformer, just check out uk Ebay. We purchased 45watt to 800 watt tranformers for tools, shop vac/carpet cleaner, kids toys, radio etc. I had brought back about $6-7K worth of tools etc and so it was worth spending $150 on a Transformers.

Computers run ok in UK on 240V.

Lamps can use 240V screw bulbs plus UK plug.

I brought Can/US extension lead with plugs that go directly into the transformers, so no wiring problems. Electrical goods I rewired is easy to do.

hudd
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

thank you all! I am definitely bringing the lamps. I'll wait and see with the laptop, tho. As for Huz's power tools. I think we'll seek professional advice before he fries himself in the garage
Depending on the manufacturer it might be easier to buy the European version of the power supply. I have a Dell and so bought a UK PSU off of Ebay
Old Jul 25th 2007, 4:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't have any trouble with laptops...they are usually dual voltage and are designed to be used when travelling.