Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Elderly British mother needs care from American daughter? Visa questions!

Wikiposts

Elderly British mother needs care from American daughter? Visa questions!

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:52 am
Just Joined

walker328 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Elderly British mother needs care from American daughter? Visa questions!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post so please point me in the right direction if this is wrong...

My mother has dual-citizenship (US/Brit) and has lived in England since the mid-80s. She has since divorced her British husband but she's settled there and not coming back to the US.

She is almost 80 and needs family (me) nearby to watch over her. Also- I will someday (long ways away I hope!) be left her house.

I am an American citizen - born here, but want to go take care of my mother. I worry about her all the time. She's in pretty good nick (as she says) but her mind is going a bit and she gets confused, and she does have some serious health issues. She's not as mobile as she once was. Chokes me up to even type this but... she's not getting any younger.

Is there anything I can do? I'm at a point in my life where I could go to the UK, no problem. She would like me there with her.

I did find this link http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...rly-dependent/
but it doesn't really answer my questions if the situation is reversed.

Any responses are appreciated,

Walker328
Old Aug 4th 2013, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elderly British mother needs care from American daughter? Visa questions!

It's often said on this forum that it's important to hold the same citizenship(s) as your children. This thread is a good example as to why.

I hope someone will be along soon suggesting a straightforward visa category for you

Last edited by FlyingDutchman6666; Aug 4th 2013 at 3:32 am.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elderly British mother needs care from American daughter? Visa questions!

It's a long shot but we should first check if you're eligible for British Citizenship.

Can you tell us a bit more about your mother's citizenships? Which one(s) were acquired by birth, which one(s) by naturalisation, and when?

Which citizenship(s) did she hold when you were born? When?
Old Aug 4th 2013, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I think if not eligible for citizenship, it may revolve around your access to money. If you can be self-supporting, a visa might be easier !
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The link you have included in your post is where YOU as a dependent of a settled person in the UK can apply for a visa to live in the UK, so that your relative can take care of YOU.

This is not your case as you wish to live in the UK to take care of your mother.

As someone else has mentioned do you have claim to British citizenship through your mother who has dual citizenship (UK/US)? If so, then obtaining British citizenship would allow you to live in the UK.

Apart from that your options are limited to work visa/student etc.

Of course, you can spend up to 6 months in the UK visiting.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:40 am
Just Joined

walker328 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mom and I were both born in the US. She married a Brit in 1986. She got her dual citizenship in 1991 or so. They've since divorced. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I'm 45. She was American when I was born. I was born in the US.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

So it does not sound as though you have access to British citizenship via family.

I can't think of any visa applicable to your case (living in the UK to be with aged mother); as said before the visa you linked with is for a totally dependent relative to enter the UK to live with a support person.

Could your mother consider moving back to the US to be with you? This would be practical especially if your mother is eligible for Medicare - which would take care of a lot of her health needs.

Apart from that I can only recommend the 6 month visit each year.