Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

EEA & U.S. citizen move from USA to UK

EEA & U.S. citizen move from USA to UK

Old Jul 29th 2016, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

MonRich is an unknown quantity at this point
Post EEA & U.S. citizen move from USA to UK

My wife is German and I am an U.S. citizen.

We got married in July 2015 in the U.S.

I joined my wife for six months in the UK. My wife had lived and worked in the UK for 26 years at that point.

We decided to move to the U.S. when my six months visa time ran out int he UK.

We got out a land contract on a property in the U.S. and lived there for the last ten months, however my wife cannot cope with the humidity in Kentucky and suffers from migraines on a daily basis due to the fluctuated weather change here.

We decided that it would be best to return to the UK as my wife has her three adult children and her grandchild living there.

Now we are wondering as my wife had permanent residence prior to leaving the UK will this status be reinstated after ten months of being abroad?

Also is it true that their is a loop hole for Europeans? I am disabled and she will have to find work straight away but being an EEA does the income bracket of 18600 GBP apply to her towards my Spousal Visa?

I think I understood that I can draw my disability benefit from the US for about three months in the UK then have to apply for a disability benefit over there?

Any help towards my questions would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 4:38 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EEA & U.S. citizen move from USA to UK

If your wife is German she can live in the UK without restriction, thanks to the EU.

With her being German, not British, she should be able to get a family permit for you as her husband, to "exercise her treaty rights". No income threshold would apply.

As a spouse on a treaty permit I don't think you'll be eligible for any disability payments in tbe UK for a lot longer than three months.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 29th 2016 at 4:50 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

As your wife is German you can apply for a EEA Family permit for entry to the UK.

This visa is valid for 6 months. At that stage in order to receive a permanent residency card your wife needs to be a qualified person i.e working, self sufficient or studying.

Read for further information:

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/overview

You would need to be assessed in the UK before any disability benefits would be made available to you.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 6:04 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

If you are drawing SSI in the US, those payments will stop if you move outside the US.

If you are drawing SSDI, those payments are yours and will continue if you move abroad. You do not 'move' to the system of your host country.