Wikiposts

education, where to start

Old Sep 9th 2018, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

djamila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default education, where to start

hello...
anyone relocated with kids who do not master english...hey've lived all their life outside uk and are fluent in french and arabic.
i am planning to move back not. my main concern is that they get completely lost at school.

any advice on where to start and kind of schools we should look for?

our first plan is to move back somewhere near liverpool. once there, i need to find a job, register for new nhs number, open bank account....and school kids....
i am totally lost!!
Old Sep 9th 2018, 9:28 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: education, where to start

Originally Posted by djamila
hello...
anyone relocated with kids who do not master english...hey've lived all their life outside uk and are fluent in french and arabic.
i am planning to move back not. my main concern is that they get completely lost at school.

any advice on where to start and kind of schools we should look for?

our first plan is to move back somewhere near liverpool. once there, i need to find a job, register for new nhs number, open bank account....and school kids....
i am totally lost!!
If you have lived in the UK before then it's almost certain that you have an NHS number, so you just need to find it out, the NHS number is for life. How old are your kids? do they speak or understand English? If they are young then they should have no problems becoming fluent quickly, it's older children that may struggle.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If you have lived in the UK before then it's almost certain that you have an NHS number, so you just need to find it out, the NHS number is for life. How old are your kids? do they speak or understand English? If they are young then they should have no problems becoming fluent quickly, it's older children that may struggle.

i have an old nhs number (with letters), i will need to get a new one.
i guess i need to register with a gp directly?

kids are 10-5-3
the elder understands and speaks a little
the two others just french. i have started teaching them at home but it will always be far from native .
i have sent a mail to education department and they said, it might take around 6 months for them to be in the same level.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 10:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter had a girl join her class (Yr 8, secondary) from France last year, she didn't speak a word of English at the time. She's now completely fluent, great friends with my daughter, and has won all sorts of school awards and is doing really well.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

thanks!!! giving me hope. my kids are really doing great (first of their schools ). i hope they can adapt quickly. i am ready to lose a year if this means getting a better education