Education better in UK?

Old Jul 22nd 2017, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education better in UK?

Originally Posted by verystormy
The midlands is an excellent option as it means there are lots of options work wise. We lived in Leicester for many years and it means that as well as Leicester, it is an easy commute to Nottingham, Birmingham and many smaller towns in the region. It is also good for recreation as lots of options both in the city and out and even London is less than an hour away. Perfectly doable to go for a night out in the west end.
Only been to Leicester once. Going again in September, staying a couple of nights in a hotel with DH. I really want to do the Richard III Visitor Experience as I am a 15th Century history buff. Last time I went, with my mum and sister but not DH, we did Leicester Cathedral and the king's new burial spot. It was just a few months after the televised funeral.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

The midlands is an excellent option as it means there are lots of options work wise. We lived in Leicester for many years and it means that as well as Leicester, it is an easy commute to Nottingham, Birmingham and many smaller towns in the region. It is also good for recreation as lots of options both in the city and out and even London is less than an hour away. Perfectly doable to go for a night out in the west end.
It's a small world - I was raised in Leicester (evington area) and also lived in Nottinghamshire !
I would consider Leicestershire this time, as opposed to Leicester "proper" which has become a bit too congested for my liking now (or maybe seems that way as I'm getting old)!
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
If you are in a position to pay for a private education UK might be okay. If not................
Whilst I wouldn't put it the same way that verystormy did, I do respectfully disagree.

There are some amazing schools in the UK that aren't private, my children are at two of them. I'm very pro private education myself, but it's just not needed here IMO.

My daughter is currently doing a week's sailing around the Suffolk coast to get her RYA Level 1 & 2 certs. She can do a scuba diving course and get her PADI open water cert. She has rock climbing lessons (again, getting an internationally recognised qualification in the process) on the rock climbing wall that's at school. She's learning Mandarin. She has 11 state of the art science labs to choose from. She has an amphitheatre in the school grounds for outside learning. Her (and her classmates) oxygen levels are monitored throughout the day and if they dip in the afternoon at the usual 'I'm feeling snoozy and not paying full attention' time, then oxygen is pumped in to her classroom. She's in a French immersion program so has several classes taught in French. She's in a class of 18 pupils. All of this is at a state/public secondary school.

We did look at private schooling for her, but frankly couldn't see what we'd be getting for our money.

Yes, there are crap schools in the UK, but there are also amazing ones. Granted, I live in an area that is known to have some of the best state schools in the country, but there are plenty of other equally fab schools in other areas. If you think that all state schools in the UK are rubbish, then I suspect you've not looked at them properly for a while, as they've come on in leaps and bounds since I was at school.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 25th 2017 at 7:45 am.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
It's a small world - I was raised in Leicester (evington area) and also lived in Nottinghamshire !
I would consider Leicestershire this time, as opposed to Leicester "proper" which has become a bit too congested for my liking now (or maybe seems that way as I'm getting old)!
I think as we get older, we are less inclined to city life. We lived in Highfields - a bad reputation, but with some little gems within. At the time, it was great for us. We were young and been in the city was fun. Now, we couldn't tolerate city life and far prefer the village life. Swapped night clubs for country walks.

There are some great places just outside the city though.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Only been to Leicester once. Going again in September, staying a couple of nights in a hotel with DH. I really want to do the Richard III Visitor Experience as I am a 15th Century history buff. Last time I went, with my mum and sister but not DH, we did Leicester Cathedral and the king's new burial spot. It was just a few months after the televised funeral.
There are some really interesting things to see.

Go for a walk down New Walk.
Bradgate Park is not far from the city and a great spot - home of some of the oldest fossils in the world and has an amazing history.

We will be heading to the Cathedral soon as my wife is entitled to become a freeman / freewoman of the city and will have her ceremony there.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

I think as we get older, we are less inclined to city life. We lived in Highfields - a bad reputation, but with some little gems within. At the time, it was great for us. We were young and been in the city was fun. Now, we couldn't tolerate city life and far prefer the village life. Swapped night clubs for country walks.

There are some great places just outside the city though.
Agreed,I grew up not far from highfields and it was quite a pleasant area. Changed a lot over the years though. I love Quorn, Oakham and some of the other neighboring villages.