Education better in UK?

Old Jul 18th 2017, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Education better in UK?

Hi all,
Been in Florida for around 10 years, toyed with the idea of moving back to uk several times, this time doing it with a parent hat on! (We are dual citizens).
My daughter is 5 and starting Kindergarten. Elementary school is a good one, but I've always wondered if the actual standards of education are higher in the UK, I know it's certainly cheaper when they are at university.
We got back from a two week vacation to the UK last week and of course, I'm in a situation where the humidty and heat of Florida combined with mosquitos and not being able to do much outdoors is getting unbearable. So, I can sit indoors and dream...
Any input would be appreciated!
Old Jul 18th 2017, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education better in UK?

After living in 13 countries, my perspective is that between first world nations, in public systems, it is all a bit of a muchness. There will be a range of schools which are better or worse. When moving between first world countries - and some more developing countries which can have excellent schools (my wife is from Peru and went to a school that would blow the socks off 99% of schools in most developed countries schools), it isn't a major factor. Kids will get an excellent education in pretty much any.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 3:45 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with verystormy.

Of course in the USA it is paramount that you choose to live in a very good school district.

Choose the best high school and then look at the feeder schools into it. Usually the best high schools have the better feeder schools. If you don't already live in the high school boundary then move sooner (now?) since you probably won't want to move your child away from all her friends once she has started school.

Who knows what will happen to UK university education fees in the next 10 years or so? It's not actually cheaper than a US in-state university at the moment either. The difference is that in the US the university asks for the money up front and it's up to you to arrange loans etc if needed in advance. In the UK, the loan is sorted out for you but you pay it in the end.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
After living in 13 countries, my perspective is that between first world nations, in public systems, it is all a bit of a muchness. There will be a range of schools which are better or worse. When moving between first world countries - and some more developing countries which can have excellent schools (my wife is from Peru and went to a school that would blow the socks off 99% of schools in most developed countries schools), it isn't a major factor. Kids will get an excellent education in pretty much any.
Our experience has been a bit different. Two developing countries we know and have experienced first hand children going to and from schools there and in US our oberservation is generally the primary and high schools in Colombia and Mexico ( for middle class children) were ahead of USA school even in what Americans call "good school" districts. We have experience with our children in three states, and experience teaching at university level, it would be hard for us to say generally American schools at the level of most European schools we know. It seems for some specialized subjects USA the same or higher level for Master degrees, but for general education at primary and secondary level behind.

Just a generalization. It is difficult to judge in America because one hears about "good schools" but good compared to what ? On the other hand for better than average students some high schools do have honor programs that are not bad if the student is well-motivated.

Don't now about UK schools at primary and secondary level though.

For example people we know who were transferred from Mexico their children generally arrived and were 1 to 3 years ahead of American students, after a few years in America then transferred back to Mexico, they struggled to catch up with Mexican students in most subjects.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to move back to the UK, you'd probably be best doing so now or at least whilst your daughter is at primary/elementary school. You need to be back three years to get home university fees. If you move back to Scotland it's free, though who knows if it will be in 13 years! Wales I'm not sure. The current rate of repayment of student loans is 9% over £21,000 per year. Of course a bachelor's degree is only three years in the UK, except for Scotland, four years.

I hear you on the heat! It's been pretty hot here in London recently (well hot for us) and I haven't been too comfortable. Of course we haven't got air conditioning. The only two times I've been to Florida was February and March. Wouldn't want to be there in July!
Old Jul 19th 2017, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
If you're going to move back to the UK, you'd probably be best doing so now or at least whilst your daughter is at primary/elementary school. You need to be back three years to get home university fees. If you move back to Scotland it's free, though who knows if it will be in 13 years! Wales I'm not sure. The current rate of repayment of student loans is 9% over £21,000 per year. Of course a bachelor's degree is only three years in the UK, except for Scotland, four years.

I hear you on the heat! It's been pretty hot here in London recently (well hot for us) and I haven't been too comfortable. Of course we haven't got air conditioning. The only two times I've been to Florida was February and March. Wouldn't want to be there in July!
Wow I had no idea about the three year residency requirement thanks for the info - better start getting my research hat on..
Next step is trying to establish which would be a good area, trying to stay Midlands upwards.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 2:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
Wow I had no idea about the three year residency requirement thanks for the info - better start getting my research hat on..
Next step is trying to establish which would be a good area, trying to stay Midlands upwards.
Don't forget that you may well have your child at the best school in the area/county/state/country but that doesn't necessarily mean that your child will be happy or thrive there. Granted they're more likely to thrive in a good school with good kids but it's not a given.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Don't forget that you may well have your child at the best school in the area/county/state/country but that doesn't necessarily mean that your child will be happy or thrive there. Granted they're more likely to thrive in a good school with good kids but it's not a given.
Very true!
Old Jul 20th 2017, 10:38 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I would base my life for the next 13 years based on residency requirements for UK university in the hope of lower tuition fees. Just think about how much has changed in the last 13 years.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I'm not sure I would base my life for the next 13 years based on residency requirements for UK university in the hope of lower tuition fees. Just think about how much has changed in the last 13 years.
True, but I'm researching the quality of education comparisons overall - starting from elementary school onwards. The lower tuition fees at university level are what I noticed along the way..
Old Jul 21st 2017, 6:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

OECD assessment from May 2017 -
Attached Thumbnails Education better in UK?-screenshot_2017-07-21-08-48-51%7E2.png  
Old Jul 21st 2017, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in a position to pay for a private education UK might be okay. If not................
Old Jul 21st 2017, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Vinny17 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would really question the ratings for Canada in the above provided chart. My take is the public school unions game the system. Abysmal ratings in real world rankings. I fear for the kids. search "discovery math" No way is Canada in the top ranking in the real world.

Last edited by Vinny17; Jul 22nd 2017 at 12:00 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
The Midlands is a good choice. My sister lives in Nottingham. Prices are so reasonable compared to here in London. If we were buying them now, my flat would cost double what my sister's 3-bed detached house with large garden would. She's really lucky as she paid her mortgage off 2 years ago. And she's a year younger than me! My mum lives in Grantham and prices are about the same, plus they still have really good grammar schools. And you can commute to London in an hour or so.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The midlands is an excellent option as it means there are lots of options work wise. We lived in Leicester for many years and it means that as well as Leicester, it is an easy commute to Nottingham, Birmingham and many smaller towns in the region. It is also good for recreation as lots of options both in the city and out and even London is less than an hour away. Perfectly doable to go for a night out in the west end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.