Education

Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

DavidofNaqara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Education

I am a UK pensioner living in Fiji and would like to get my step-daughter a good university education to study law. She is 19 yo and finishes school this year. Does anyone know of any scholarships she could apply for study in the UK or elsewhere. She, like her mother, are Citizens of Fiji.
I have no wish to return to the UK but would be prepared to do so if it would assist her education.
For a UK pensioner to have to pay international fees would be impossible.
It seem we might get entangled in red tape.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

honeybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nice
Default Re: Education

David, not an expert on this but some ideas:

1. do you have a British Council where you are, you could have a chat with them about available scholarships.

2. An alternative to going to the UK is to go eastwards to somewhere like Malaysia which has many UK programmes (awarded by UK universities) ran by both private universities and colleges. We also have a Nottingham University campus here. Fees are substantially less than in the UK and of course the cost of living is also much less. Malaysia is trying to become and education hub in SEA and we have many students from Fiji, India, Russia, etc Check online. If you want info on colleges etc you can ask me, I used to work for a private uni and will be working for another one soon. You should also consider Australian education, may be cheaper with the exchange rate. Monash University has a campus in Malaysia too.

Cheers
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

DavidofNaqara is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by honeybee
David, not an expert on this but some ideas:

1. do you have a British Council where you are, you could have a chat with them about available scholarships.

2. An alternative to going to the UK is to go eastwards to somewhere like Malaysia which has many UK programmes (awarded by UK universities) ran by both private universities and colleges. We also have a Nottingham University campus here. Fees are substantially less than in the UK and of course the cost of living is also much less. Malaysia is trying to become and education hub in SEA and we have many students from Fiji, India, Russia, etc Check online. If you want info on colleges etc you can ask me, I used to work for a private uni and will be working for another one soon. You should also consider Australian education, may be cheaper with the exchange rate. Monash University has a campus in Malaysia too.

Cheers
Many thanks for the information. If you could advise any suitable colleges I would be grateful.
Fiji is developing closer relationships with Malaysia, due to attitude of the Australian and New Zealand Governments, so there might be an opportunity.

By the way, I was at Nottingham University in 1956.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

honeybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nice

Hi again,

You can check the Nottingham Uni Malaysia website as well as the Monash University Malaysia websites through google. There are many private university colleges but the better ones are those that have been given fully fledged university status such as Taylors University and Sunway University (has a good programme monitored by Lancaster uni UK and degree cert obtained from both (both have comprehensive websites).
You could also consider government universities which are open to foreign students but there are some questions over the standards of English and I wouldn't personally send my kids to them although they may be cheaper.

hope this helps a little in getting you started on your discovery of alternative education. I am also considering this as an option for my kids as I live here currently.