Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Education: 12 and 15 year old (Moving from Canada to UK)

Education: 12 and 15 year old (Moving from Canada to UK)

Old Nov 1st 2018, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

MrsDS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Education: 12 and 15 year old (Moving from Canada to UK)

Hi everyone
My husband and I are considering a potential move back to the UK (Gloucestershire) from Canada in Summer of 2019. Our children are aged12 (born May 2006) and 15 (born July 2003). Both children have been in the Canadian education system since they first went to school.

I am looking for advice on how best to transition them into the UK education system, knowing that GCSE structure is going to be our biggest challenge.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer!
Old Nov 5th 2018, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education: 12 and 15 year old (Moving from Canada to UK)

Hi MrsDS,

I'm in the US so don't know anything about the Canadian school system but my guess is that your best source of advice will be to contact some of the schools you are interested in and ask their advice. I'm sure they will all have had some experience of children moving to them from outside the UK, (especially around the Cheltenham area) and will be able to offer good info on how to help your children adjust.

From your children's ages it sounds like your youngest won't have too hard of a transition as I think they would currently be Year 8 in the UK and will be starting in Year 9 in September 2019 which means they will join in the year GCSE subjects are chosen but before the course work has begun (in most cases).

For your older one I think they are currently what would be Year 11 in the UK and will be joining 6th Form in September 2019. I guess the challenge will be that normally sixth forms request a certain number of GCSEs (at specific grades) for entry to their sixth form but I'm sure it must be possible to do.

Do you have a specific area in Glos in mind? There are several grammar schools as well as some excellent comprehensives. Your younger child could take an in year test if he/she wanted to attend one of the Grammar schools. If any of the schools you like are over subscribed you can appeal for a place on various grounds.

Sorry I'm not more help but thought I'd post as you'd had no replies yet. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along soon to help.

We have been looking at Glos too, lovely area but house prices are eye watering compared to where we live in the US.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond NiHao, I really appreciate it. I have contacted the Gloucestershire County Council schools system to request some advice, however, no response yet. I am hoping that my eldest child's grades from high school can be used to support his entry into sixth form. My youngest I think will transition well, given the timing of GCSEs. We are originally from the north of England, so completely unfamiliar with the Gloucestershire area, other than knowing it is beautiful!

I think my next step is to do as you suggest and begin looking into schools and to contact them directly.

Thanks again for your help!
Old Nov 6th 2018, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Contact Noric in the uk for your eldest canadiCa certificates, we did this with our eldest son and found that his West Australian TEE's were equivalent to the Scottish Highers..(similar to A levels). I phoned Naric from Australia and they advised me what to do they were very helpful. I am not sure how the Canadian education system works in regards to similarity to the UK but I do know that WA is not in sinc at all with the uk but our two sons have both done very well here, one went to college for his GCSE'S and completed then a diploma then went on to university, the eldest went straight to university. The UK is very understanding/experienced and flexibile with students having been educated overseas. Our older son is currently living in South Gloucestershire, it's a very nice part of the world. Good luck with everything,
Old Nov 6th 2018, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Contact Noric in the uk for your eldest canadiCa certificates, we did this with our eldest son and found that his West Australian TEE's were equivalent to the Scottish Highers..(similar to A levels). I phoned Naric from Australia and they advised me what to do they were very helpful. I am not sure how the Canadian education system works in regards to similarity to the UK but I do know that WA is not in sinc at all with the uk but our two sons have both done very well here, one went to college for his GCSE'S and completed then a diploma then went on to university, the eldest went straight to university. The UK is very understanding/experienced and flexibile with students having been educated overseas. Our older son is currently living in South Gloucestershire, it's a very nice part of the world. Good luck with everything,
Old Nov 6th 2018, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry...it's NARIC (I wrote Noric !!)

www.naric.org.uk

Good luck
Old Nov 19th 2018, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much brits1! I really appreciate this. I have never heard of NARIC, but I just checked out the website and I shall give them a call. It certainly sounds lilke they will be a great help with my eldest.

Thanks so much for your response!