Easy Jet

Old Jan 1st 2004, 3:11 pm
Merlot

Default Easy Jet

On my return to the UK looking to fly with this company around Europe. Any experiences (good or bad) you can share?

Seen a programme yesterday on BBC World about their business practices which was excellent but the way they turn around their flights - does this mean the planes are safe to fly?? No spanners or men in overalls in sight?

Any other cheapy airlines that can be recommended?

Old Jan 1st 2004, 4:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

They are "safe", in that they have to abide by CAA rules, and their pilots are all trained as well as those of any other UK airline. However, they operate on a very tight profit margin - very short turnaround (thats the time between the plane landing and taking off again), lack of inflight entertainment and catering, crews get minimum rest periods and are apparently worked much harder than many other airlines - hence are more tired and stressed (that info from airline circles).
If a flight is delayed, their compensation is virtually non-existent - none of this "put you up in a hotel and pay for a cab" stuff - its your problem to sort it out yourself! Same if a flight is cancelled, and they probably suffer more delays and cancellations because they have less aircraft - other airlines can bring in a spare aircraft, or call in a back-up crew, which is sitting waiting for a call. Easyjet save cash but not being for stand-by crews or spare aircraft.
I wouldn't fly with them, but they are cheap, and technically safe.
Old Jan 1st 2004, 5:20 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew Easyjet Gatwick to Barcelona in November and you got what you paid for. The flight was a bit late but other than that it was fine. Seats are not assigned but they number the tickets at checkin so those that check in first get on first.

All airlines have to follow the same safety precautions so Easyjet are as safe as BA. Their planes are also new.

The only comment was the low cost wing of Gatwick was a dump. In fact Gatwick South Terminal has seen better days.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 1:07 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

i've flown both easy jet and ryan air. both very ordinary but as someone has already said. you get what you pay for.

try mytravelite and bmibaby. they both do cheap flights as well.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 5:50 am
JeanDupont

At London Gatwick the cheaper your airline the further you will walk to the gate - and if you fly Easyjet get to the airport in plenty of time - or they will not let you board.

Other than that I have often used them and if I booked early enough the tickets were dirt cheap.

Make sure your names on the tickets are going to exactly match your passport name - or they will make you buy new tickets at an astronomical cost.

I use www.skyscanner.net to search for European flights - it works very well once you understand the website operation.

www.traveljungle.com is another great website for finding cheap flights - but I just use it to look for them - then I go the airline's own site to book as traveljungle charge $20 per ticket if you book through them.

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 6:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

All the budget airlines operate the same way as Virgin Blue do in Australia.No frills.
You need to be careful about prices though. They are not always the cheapest unless you get in early.

G
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 8:38 pm
Merlot

Default Re: Easy Jet

Originally posted by Merlot
On my return to the UK looking to fly with this company around Europe. Any experiences (good or bad) you can share?

Seen a programme yesterday on BBC World about their business practices which was excellent but the way they turn around their flights - does this mean the planes are safe to fly?? No spanners or men in overalls in sight?

Any other cheapy airlines that can be recommended?

Thanks for your comments and web links, this is appreciated and exactly what I was looking for. Keep them coming .....

Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Dolphingirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Easy Jet

I fly from Spain quite frequently and depending on dates and where I´ve got to land in the UK, I fly Easy Jet quite freqently, and so far had a couple of delays, usually due to waiting on passengers who dont turn up and then they have to unload their baggage, though once the pilot did get delayed in traffic. Travel lite and Crown Monach, Brittanica both which can offer some good deals and the latter also give inflight meals. My Travel is probably the worst for delays that I´ve experienced and out of the budget I like Monach the best. Since its only a couple of hours I´m not bothered about inflight entertainment etc usually find someone good to sit by for a chat or a good book if they look boring but any of the above I dont have a problem using and so far the last 4 years they´ve got me safely to my destination mostly on time, so yet to practice putting on my life jacket and blowing the whistle. - must admit they never mention in the safety drills about crashing into shark infested waters and to swim in the opposite direction to anyone who may be bleeding.

www.cheapflights.co.uk
www.justtheticket.com

These links may be of good use also.

Dolphin Girl