Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Ease into the New life in Blighty

Ease into the New life in Blighty

Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Ease into the New life in Blighty

Well,

8 years in Australia is about to come to a close. A big and cool chapter in my life rolls to its conclusion as I depart from Melbourne in April and my cats fly in July. I came here in 1999 as a backpacker and was drawn to the way of life and the people, the weather and the outdoors and loved every second of it. I tried to go back to the UK every year and for the first few years focussed on the negative aspects of England, namely the climate and listening to too many cornish men moan about the foreigners invading in droves (which is ironic cos none of the Europeans in question go any where near the west country)..

After about 5 years I started to feel like something was amiss in my life ! Is this it I asked myself, seeing what was laid out in front of me.

So, a combination of family, license to travel to interesting places in europe and new experiences, english comedy, sense of humour sends me on my way, and the fact I will probably go insane if I have to survive another AFL season....

Someone asked how you can prepare to go back to your motherland. I think it depends on how you felt when you left, for me I left in search of new adventure and found it and a generally happy place and have accomplished much. I think you just have to draw a line and say thats that, thanks for the memories and look ahead to a new adventure.

Good luck to everyone moving back this year, I am going to freeload off my family for a while and do some travel in Europe and spend some Sunday afternoons in London pubs and get back amongst it.

I leave Australia with plenty of praise for Australia for the excited traveller and slight caution for the husbands and wives of spouses eager to jump ship in the UK and head to Perth, Adelaide or NT for a new life expecting their home county just always 25 degrees with great lifestlye and a few Koala Bears.

Thanks to everyone on here for support, advice and helping me in my journey. Fortunately i have many friends and good family to return to, so for me, I am going home, I am not daunted about shi**y weather, moaning people and the price of things.

That said, strategically I want to make sure I spend the first few months in Spring and Summer, hehe.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:57 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ease into the New life in Blighty

Hi sherro i wish you all the best on your new aventure
Good Luck
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
Well,

8 years in Australia is about to come to a close. A big and cool chapter in my life rolls to its conclusion as I depart from Melbourne in April and my cats fly in July. I came here in 1999 as a backpacker and was drawn to the way of life and the people, the weather and the outdoors and loved every second of it. I tried to go back to the UK every year and for the first few years focussed on the negative aspects of England, namely the climate and listening to too many cornish men moan about the foreigners invading in droves (which is ironic cos none of the Europeans in question go any where near the west country)..

After about 5 years I started to feel like something was amiss in my life ! Is this it I asked myself, seeing what was laid out in front of me.

So, a combination of family, license to travel to interesting places in europe and new experiences, english comedy, sense of humour sends me on my way, and the fact I will probably go insane if I have to survive another AFL season....

Someone asked how you can prepare to go back to your motherland. I think it depends on how you felt when you left, for me I left in search of new adventure and found it and a generally happy place and have accomplished much. I think you just have to draw a line and say thats that, thanks for the memories and look ahead to a new adventure.

Good luck to everyone moving back this year, I am going to freeload off my family for a while and do some travel in Europe and spend some Sunday afternoons in London pubs and get back amongst it.

I leave Australia with plenty of praise for Australia for the excited traveller and slight caution for the husbands and wives of spouses eager to jump ship in the UK and head to Perth, Adelaide or NT for a new life expecting their home county just always 25 degrees with great lifestlye and a few Koala Bears.

Thanks to everyone on here for support, advice and helping me in my journey. Fortunately i have many friends and good family to return to, so for me, I am going home, I am not daunted about shi**y weather, moaning people and the price of things.

That said, strategically I want to make sure I spend the first few months in Spring and Summer, hehe.
good luck in your return to uk, I hope it is filled with fun and adventure!! I'm going back in a few months, and am looking forward to an English summer and jugs of Pimms! x
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your return! I heard it was 17C in London the other day so you should be OK!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:37 pm
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Well,

All the best, hope that you enjoy your new life. keep away from some of the news though it can really get to you.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well,

Good luck and I think you have "summed" up quite well why some people return home....been here nearly 10 years and nearly all the things you have written is why we now want to head home......nothing against Aus.....but now looking forward.

All the best..........
Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Good luck on your travels. The weather isn't an issue for me anymore. After the summer in Perth i crave dull UK....hehehehehehe
Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:13 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Good luck on your travels. The weather isn't an issue for me anymore. After the summer in Perth i crave dull UK....hehehehehehe
i agree im finding it too hot at the moment its just making me tired and moody cant wait till winter phew!!!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
agree with both you and Kez....I don't know if it is because I am getting older...or the joy of having sunshine everyday wears off but this summer has been the worst for me....(even our first summer here in Perth..we had 40's a lot then...was not as bad as this summer)...I would like to get dressed without feeling the need for another shower after I have got dressed...or feeling shattered by 2.00pm (now I know why the Spanish have siestas).....so the weather is not an issue with us anymore........just heard on sky news February is supposed to be the hottest "ever" for the U.K.....
Jackie in a Perth I enjoy today as it is cloudy and "cool"............bliss
(still woke up in a "mood" though.....)
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:11 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:02 pm
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by brits1
agree with both you and Kez....I don't know if it is because I am getting older...or the joy of having sunshine everyday wears off but this summer has been the worst for me....(even our first summer here in Perth..we had 40's a lot then...was not as bad as this summer)...I would like to get dressed without feeling the need for another shower after I have got dressed...or feeling shattered by 2.00pm (now I know why the Spanish have siestas).....so the weather is not an issue with us anymore........just heard on sky news February is supposed to be the hottest "ever" for the U.K.....
Jackie in a Perth I enjoy today as it is cloudy and "cool"............bliss
(still woke up in a "mood" though.....)
The weather as been great, blue skies, crisp air from the frost. The one thing I really dont like is really hot weather.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 9:42 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

And being one of those Australian spouses who did exactly that, may I add

1. Think twice about how affordable you think Australia may be.
2. If you left before John Howard, you are coming back to a totally unrecognisable place!

Last edited by alicecat; Feb 16th 2008 at 9:43 am. Reason: punctuation
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:15 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Hope all goes well for you, you've had an adventure and now it's time to go hope, meet up with family and friends and plan your next move We are in Spain and have to wait another 5 months before we can go home because of pets. Like you we will be home for the summer so will have time to acclimatise before the winter sets in. There are so many things I miss about England and we are all looking forward to going home