Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Dutchie loves to move to the UK

Dutchie loves to move to the UK

Old Mar 27th 2020, 1:22 am
Just Joined

pineapplelover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential move to the uk

I’ve been thinking to move the UK. I am from The Netherlands and i want to study in the UK.

The thing is, that studying in the UK a expensive joke is. I want to save money for a year and pay the first year of the study by myself. So i want to get a job in my first year in the UK.

I have definitely place where i can stay for my first 4 months in the UK. I was curious on what things i need to be aware of? Like about job guarantee and surviving in a british society as an EU citizen ?

My plan is to become a english teacher. Thus i want to focus on learning properly english. But are english course schools that expensive? I’ve seen amounts of 300 pnds per week?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by pineapplelover; Mar 27th 2020 at 1:36 am.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 2:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dutchie loves to move to the UK

Hi, and welcome to BE.

What do you mean by 'job guarantee'? Do you mean are you guaranteed to get a job, or to keep one once you've got it? What kind of work would you be looking for and in which area?

£300 a month sounds quite low for student fees, but depends on where you're studying. Is this a uni or college course?

Are you planning on moving in 2020?
Old Mar 27th 2020, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

What do you mean by 'job guarantee'? Do you mean are you guaranteed to get a job, or to keep one once you've got it? What kind of work would you be looking for and in which area?

£300 a month sounds quite low for student fees, but depends on where you're studying. Is this a uni or college course?

Are you planning on moving in 2020?
Hi,

Thanks for welcoming.

I meant guaranteed to get a job. I've studied social work not on bachelor level. But, i would like to do social work jobs. But, i am beside that definitely open to cleaning, sale, care branch.

No, i didn't mean uni college. In my first year in the UK, i definitely want to focus to save money and to learn the english language. So, i was looking for a cheap school to learn English.

And yes potential move to the UK in 2020. Due to the coronavirus could it be difficult.

Old Mar 27th 2020, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Care jobs are easy to find in some areas. Minimum wage. Poor conditions.

You will need police clearance from your home country. You will have to wait for the end of this pandemic.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Care jobs are easy to find in some areas. Minimum wage. Poor conditions.

You will need police clearance from your home country. You will have to wait for the end of this pandemic.

Yes, unfortunately the question is when will it end?

And yes the police clearance is important.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pineapplelover
I meant guaranteed to get a job. I've studied social work not on bachelor level. But, i would like to do social work jobs. But, i am beside that definitely open to cleaning, sale, care branch.

No, i didn't mean uni college. In my first year in the UK, i definitely want to focus to save money and to learn the english language. So, i was looking for a cheap school to learn English.
You'd need a degree in social care to be a social worker in the UK I believe. I'm sure you'd get a cleaning/care type job, but it'll be minimum wage or close to it. I can't see that you'd have much left over to save or put towards college fees tbh.

Old Mar 28th 2020, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Care jobs - not as a social worker - are ok. Until Brexit many were held by EU citizens
Old Mar 28th 2020, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It might be easier to focus on the Irish Republic. English-speaking and in EU
Old Mar 29th 2020, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice guys!