Durham anyone ...?

Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:43 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Durham anyone ...?

Does anyone from here coming from the area? Can anyone recommend housing area (near the schools / shops / etc), and tell which area to avoid. We probably will rent first for a year while we looking around for buying a property.

And also can anyone tell me which school should we go for our 6 yrs old boy. I have no idea what to procedure about enrolling my son to the school in the UK. Probably it would be around November / December time. Again all depend on few possibilities. But it seems now getting more defenite and start to feel anxious if we do have to move.

Thanks a lot.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all
Default Re: Durham anyone ...?

We are moving back to the DH area. Although where my mam lives is classed as Tyne and Wear its two minutes from Durham City. It depends where in Durham you are going? There are some lovely area's in the Durham area. The walk along the river in the summer is great. Durham city has loads of stores. Food and clothing and a great little market. Just outside of Durham there is a new huge Tesco's, (food).

As for areas to live. Durham area, has loads of little towns and villages. Of course I am a little bias, as I was born in the area and a lot of my family still live around the area. I love the village life and have missed that more than anything. Schools will depend on where you do live. At 6, your son will go to a primary school. He should be year 3 as my 5 year old is going into year 2. The school, I have her in have been great and will be giving her a classroom assistant until she settles.

My advice to you would be to check out a few websites. I have used rightmove. Click on the area you want to be. Durham in your case. See whats available in housing and go for what you think looks nice. Drop me a pm if you not sure of the area and I will ask my family about it. I go back in 3 weeks, and whilst looking around for myself I am quite happy to check the areas for you as well if you would like? We might be offline for a very short time but no longer than a week.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:14 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

norm ... we been searching the area on the google earth. What do you think about St Margaret’s School? This is the site :

http://www.st-margarets.durham.sch.uk/index.asp?pg=45

The site looks good ... but then again i can't tell the school but or good by looking at the site.

And we were thinking about somewhere around the area to look for a house, hopefully i can walk to the school and walk to the town centre.

I been to Durham few times ... (and the cathedral of course), have no idea about area and places.

Norm... at the moment would you mind to give me a feedback for the school? it seems a good school, and said have an international background for the pupils which i think will suits my son just nicely.

Ta !
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm71
We are moving back to the DH area. Although where my mam lives is classed as Tyne and Wear its two minutes from Durham City. It depends where in Durham you are going? There are some lovely area's in the Durham area. The walk along the river in the summer is great. Durham city has loads of stores. Food and clothing and a great little market. Just outside of Durham there is a new huge Tesco's, (food).

As for areas to live. Durham area, has loads of little towns and villages. Of course I am a little bias, as I was born in the area and a lot of my family still live around the area. I love the village life and have missed that more than anything. Schools will depend on where you do live. At 6, your son will go to a primary school. He should be year 3 as my 5 year old is going into year 2. The school, I have her in have been great and will be giving her a classroom assistant until she settles.

My advice to you would be to check out a few websites. I have used rightmove. Click on the area you want to be. Durham in your case. See whats available in housing and go for what you think looks nice. Drop me a pm if you not sure of the area and I will ask my family about it. I go back in 3 weeks, and whilst looking around for myself I am quite happy to check the areas for you as well if you would like? We might be offline for a very short time but no longer than a week.
Hi Norm,
We too are heading back to Durham at the end of August as well. Where abouts you going to? Who are you flying back with? A lot of questions, sorry for being nosey.
Lynne

PS. Sorry novita77 as have no knowledge of the schools in this area but have heard good reports regarding St. Margarets

Last edited by mick69; Jul 7th 2007 at 4:17 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:21 pm
semarang

no problem mick69. R u going back to Durham for good?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by novita77
no problem mick69. R u going back to Durham for good?
Yes, sadly as my OH hasn't settled. Just making the most of the time left here. Doing all the tourist things.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:45 pm
semarang

Originally Posted by mick69
Yes, sadly as my OH hasn't settled. Just making the most of the time left here. Doing all the tourist things.
what is OH?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 6:46 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

what is OH?

Other Half - Better Half which ever way you prefer it replied to your PM.
x
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:07 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone from here coming from the area? Can anyone recommend housing area (near the schools / shops / etc), and tell which area to avoid. We probably will rent first for a year while we looking around for buying a property.

And also can anyone tell me which school should we go for our 6 yrs old boy. I have no idea what to procedure about enrolling my son to the school in the UK. Probably it would be around November / December time. Again all depend on few possibilities. But it seems now getting more defenite and start to feel anxious if we do have to move.

Thanks a lot.
My very good friend came from Trimdon. I love Durham...great folk!
Old Jul 8th 2007, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

The Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to behold

Thanks a lot.
My OH is from Sedgefield and one of my good friends has settled there with her young family. Its got good schools, nice shops, restaurants and most importantly lots of pubs in the village centre.

Very picture postcard with village green, racecourse and cricket pitch.

Most important thing is that now Tony Blair is no longer having to keep a constituency home there so no danger of bumping iinto him!
Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:53 pm
semarang

Originally Posted by The Smiths
My OH is from Sedgefield and one of my good friends has settled there with her young family. Its got good schools, nice shops, restaurants and most importantly lots of pubs in the village centre.

Very picture postcard with village green, racecourse and cricket pitch.

Most important thing is that now Tony Blair is no longer having to keep a constituency home there so no danger of bumping iinto him!
my OH from sedgefield too ... And Blair came from the same school with my OH.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:55 pm
semarang

Originally Posted by busterboy
My very good friend came from Trimdon. I love Durham...great folk!
I cant remember but either my FIL or MIL one of them came from Trimdon and the other one from Fishburn. And they settle down in Sedgefield.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Novi,

If you havent found anything more useful this website might help you get to grips with the UK education system.

http://www.parentscentre.gov.uk/
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:30 am
semarang

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Novi,

If you havent found anything more useful this website might help you get to grips with the UK education system.

http://www.parentscentre.gov.uk/
Thanks tootsie .. willhave a look at that site x
Old Jul 12th 2007, 5:50 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=novita77;5019517]Does anyone from here coming from the area? Can anyone recommend housing area (near the schools / shops / etc), and tell which area to avoid. We probably will rent first for a year while we looking around for buying a property.

Thanks a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.