Dual Residency?

Old May 5th 2020, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

mwilli52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Residency?

Hello,
I’m a dual Canadian/British citizen and hold a British and Canadian passport. I was born in Canada, but my mother and brother were born there. The rest of my family still live in England. I’m currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in Canada, but would like to pursue a postgrad degree in England once I’m done. However, the international fees are crazy - and there are also limited spaces for international students. I would like to be able to obtain home status, but it requires three years of ordinary residency. Is there anyway to become a UK resident to fulfil this requirement while still going to school in Canada? I don’t plan on starting my degree for another three years anyway!

Sorry if this post isn’t clear, I’ll answer any questions if needed!
Old May 5th 2020, 9:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Residency?

If you were resident in the UK up to the time you started your degree studies in Canada you might be able to argue that your time in Canada was of a temporary nature and only for the purpose of studying.
Old May 5th 2020, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

mwilli52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you were resident in the UK up to the time you started your degree studies in Canada you might be able to argue that your time in Canada was of a temporary nature and only for the purpose of studying.
I wasn’t, unfortunately.
Old May 6th 2020, 7:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mwilli52
Hello,
I’m a dual Canadian/British citizen and hold a British and Canadian passport. I was born in Canada, but my mother and brother were born there. The rest of my family still live in England. I’m currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in Canada, but would like to pursue a postgrad degree in England once I’m done. However, the international fees are crazy - and there are also limited spaces for international students. I would like to be able to obtain home status, but it requires three years of ordinary residency. Is there anyway to become a UK resident to fulfil this requirement while still going to school in Canada? I don’t plan on starting my degree for another three years anyway!

Sorry if this post isn’t clear, I’ll answer any questions if needed!
Have you ever lived in the UK? If you've only been in Canada temporarily then you may be able to to argue that your stay in Canada was temporary and for a specific reason, so qualify for UK tuition rates. But if you've not been in the UK for a long time then there's no way around it other than to live in the UK for the required 3 years. If you think about it, it's fair enough as the UK tuition rates are heavily subsidised by UK taxpayers, so why should they subsidise your education if you've never lived there and contributed?

Old May 9th 2020, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

blokeandbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Just as note, the people you will be doing your post grad degree with will have done 2 years college in that subject before the time in the degree. Knowing people that have done this both ways, coming from UK to Canada for the study they found it easy and achieved great marks. From Canada to UK not so much.

Why not finish in Canada then move?