British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   driving license question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/driving-license-question-739440/)

rosscog Nov 19th 2011 10:25 pm

driving license question

hi, hope someone can help with this,

My family and I are moving back to uk next year after 7 years in oz,
i cant work out what to do about driving license.
when we came over we obviously exchanged our uk licenses for aus (vic) ones, we still kept the uk ones but they are out of date (photo part) and wrong address on them.
also since being here i have passed my motorbike test so have that on my aus license.
My question is when we go back what do i do about getting uk license, do i transfer my aus one for new uk license or do i apply for replacement of old uk license, also what happens to my motorbike part of it (i didnt have that in uk)

thanks, ross...

Guinness Nov 23rd 2011 8:31 pm

Re: driving license question

Originally Posted by rosscog (Post 9743058)
hi, hope someone can help with this,

My family and I are moving back to uk next year after 7 years in oz,
i cant work out what to do about driving license.
when we came over we obviously exchanged our uk licenses for aus (vic) ones, we still kept the uk ones but they are out of date (photo part) and wrong address on them.
also since being here i have passed my motorbike test so have that on my aus license.
My question is when we go back what do i do about getting uk license, do i transfer my aus one for new uk license or do i apply for replacement of old uk license, also what happens to my motorbike part of it (i didnt have that in uk)

thanks, ross...

do you still have your old UK licence? if so fill out the D1 form send 2 photos and 20 pounds, you will have a new licence in 2 weeks. As for the motorcycle part you will have to take the UK test

rosscog Nov 24th 2011 6:52 am

thanks for the reply, what about if i exchange my aus license for a new uk one instead of renewing old uk one, will my motorbike license also transfer.

if i renew old uk one i wont have any history of insurance for last 7 years but if i transfer i can show full no claims (australian) and continuous insurance for that time, let me know if i'm getting something wrong here,

i was going to use a broker for insurance and expect it to be quite expensive

Guinness Nov 24th 2011 8:35 am

Originally Posted by rosscog (Post 9751493)
thanks for the reply, what about if i exchange my aus license for a new uk one instead of renewing old uk one, will my motorbike license also transfer.

if i renew old uk one i wont have any history of insurance for last 7 years but if i transfer i can show full no claims (australian) and continuous insurance for that time, let me know if i'm getting something wrong here,

as far as I know you need to transfer your old UK Licence over, you need to go onto the DVLA website and check on AUS licence, but I am certain that you can not transfer over a motorcycle licence. As for insurance get a printout from your AUS insurance company. My insurance company was fine with this, I was moving from Canada to the UK

Beedubya Nov 24th 2011 11:15 am

Originally Posted by rosscog (Post 9751493)

Like Guiness I got a printout of my full no claims policy from my insurance company in Oz, (NRMA) I used Direct Line as lots of other companies would not recognise it.

You can drive around for 12 months on an Australian licence but then you have to exchange it for a UK licence, I think it is £50.00, I am still driving on my Aussie licence. ;)

I have no idea about motorbikes sorry.