British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Driving License (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/driving-license-938389/)

countrygirl33 May 1st 2021 12:44 am

Driving License

I have a full paper license and need to change my address only. I am moving back to the UK next month and was wondering if anyone has any advice about whether I should wait till I land in the UK to get paperwork or is it possible to do from USA without sending a passport? Has anyone had experience changing address with forms online.. I don't want to send my passport from the USA as worried about it getting lost. I would appreciate any thoughts .. Thank You

Jerseygirl May 1st 2021 1:23 am

Re: Driving License

Originally Posted by countrygirl33 (Post 13001086)
I have a full paper license and need to change my address only. I am moving back to the UK next month and was wondering if anyone has any advice about whether I should wait till I land in the UK to get paperwork or is it possible to do from USA without sending a passport? Has anyone had experience changing address with forms online.. I don't want to send my passport from the USA as worried about it getting lost. I would appreciate any thoughts .. Thank You

You must be an UK resident to apply for a new DL…for that you need proof of an UK address. In the meantime you can use your US DL…if you have one. Your PP is of no use.

robin1234 May 1st 2021 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by countrygirl33 (Post 13001086)

The process is very easy & quick. But, as JG points out, you cannot do it until you are resident in the UK. I did it in the UK via snail mail, enclosing a new photo, a photocopy of my passport, and proof of UK address (probably council tax letter, I don’t remember.) I had my nice new driving license in a few days.

durham_lad May 1st 2021 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 13001146)
The process is very easy & quick. But, as JG points out, you cannot do it until you are resident in the UK. I did it in the UK via snail mail, enclosing a new photo, a photocopy of my passport, and proof of UK address (probably council tax letter, I don’t remember.) I had my nice new driving license in a few days.

Same with my wife and I.