Driving Licence uk

Old Jun 10th 2024, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Jakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence uk

Originally Posted by C.2s
Maybe it is if you live somewhere else and that's why you are suggesting it? ​​​​​
Yes, going off topic a bit, my situation is slightly different. I moved to Japan and for the first year I used an IDP, then I had to get a local licence. Rules is rules.
That's why I thought of it. And as for being a worthless piece of paper, I used the same IDP in Hawaii, so money well spent in my opinion. .
Good luck to the op, if it's company rules, not much option.
Old Jun 11th 2024, 4:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jakeinaka
Yes, going off topic a bit, my situation is slightly different. I moved to Japan and for the first year I used an IDP, then I had to get a local licence. Rules is rules.
That's why I thought of it. And as for being a worthless piece of paper, I used the same IDP in Hawaii, so money well spent in my opinion. .
Good luck to the op, if it's company rules, not much option.
So in Japan an IDP would be useful as, as I already said, it is a translation of your government-issued license, so yes, absolutely worth while.

Hawaii on the other hand is a US state, so English speaking, and an IDP in reality has little value or purpose. Although sometimes an IDP is recommended, it honestly isn't necessary in the US, and I suspect many US police officers, if they asked to see your license, would wonder why you are showing them two licenses.

UK licenses still conform to the EU standard, so again, within the EU (and none-EU western Europe) an IDP is unnecessary for the holder of a UK licence, and the same applies for (post-Brexit) EU licences when the holder is visiting the UK.

BTW you took my "worthless scrap of paper" comment entirely out of context. I specifically said that "without the underlying [government issued] driving licence .... the "international permit" is nothing but a worthless scrap of paper.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 11th 2024 at 4:51 am.
Old Jun 14th 2024, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Jakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

BTW you took my "worthless scrap of paper" comment entirely out of context. I specifically said that "without the underlying [government issued] driving licence .... the "international permit" is nothing but a worthless scrap of paper.
No I didn't, I travel to places using an IDP, not often recently but I have done. I have a UK licence, but I still take an IDP on the rare occasion I visit home.
I can hire a car, show my locally issued IDP (search Geneva Convention).
really not sure what your issue is, except ignorance of the rules