Driving Licence uk

Old May 5th 2024, 2:44 am
NJD
Just Joined

NJD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Licence uk

DVLA and the DGT

I have a work contract in the uk, upon which I have been told I need to hold a uk drivers licence, I currently hold a full Spainish drivers licence, I have spoken to the DVLA, they have told me to surrender it for a spainish one, I really want to keep my spainish licence as I will be driving my spainish car in uk.

Is there any way round this so I can keep my spainish and also try for brit one, maybe not hand the plastic in but give DVLA a entitlement certificate , but would they inform the DGT.

Anyone shed some legal advice on this matter please... or been in the same dilemma ,,,

Thanks all for any help

Old May 5th 2024, 3:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence uk

Originally Posted by NJD
DVLA and the DGT

I have a work contract in the uk, upon which I have been told I need to hold a uk drivers licence, I currently hold a full Spainish drivers licence, I have spoken to the DVLA, they have told me to surrender it for a spainish one, I really want to keep my spainish licence as I will be driving my spainish car in uk.

Is there any way round this so I can keep my spainish and also try for brit one, maybe not hand the plastic in but give DVLA a entitlement certificate , but would they inform the DGT.

Anyone shed some legal advice on this matter please... or been in the same dilemma ,,,

Thanks all for any help
If you are resident in the UK it is illegal to drive a foreign plated vehicle, doesn't matter how long you are in the UK for but if you are classed as resident then driving a Spanish Plated vehicle would be illegal.
Old May 5th 2024, 3:30 am
NJD
Just Joined

I am a resident of Spain, but been offered a year contract in uk, they won't let me drive there vehicles on my spainish licence, company policy ..
Old May 5th 2024, 3:34 am
NJD
Just Joined

Basically trying to find out if I can gain a uk licence, whilst still holding onto my spainish licence, whilst I work in uk..
Old May 5th 2024, 8:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJD
Basically trying to find out if I can gain a uk licence, whilst still holding onto my spainish licence, whilst I work in uk..
If you will be living and working in the UK, and assuming you previously held a UK licence, can't you just apply for your UK license to be reissued?

My situation is different from yours, but that is what I would be doing if I returned to the UK to live (which I do not plan to), as my US license is not exchangeable.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Jakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond repute

Would an international drivers license work? That's what I use when I visit home, they are valid for a year.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 11:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jakeinaka
Would an international drivers license work? That's what I use when I visit home, they are valid for a year.
An international driving license doesn't really exist, it's just a translation of an actual government-issued driving license, and anyway is largely pointless when traveling between English-speaking countries. Unless I was traveling to a non-English-speaking country outside of the EU I wouldn't even bother paying for an "international driving license"!
Old Jun 10th 2024, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Jakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond reputeJakeinaka has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
An international driving license doesn't really exist, it's just a translation of an actual government-issued driving license, and anyway is largely pointless when traveling between English-speaking countries. Unless I was traveling to a non-English-speaking country outside of the EU I wouldn't even bother paying for an "international driving license"!
It very much does exist, I've had quite a few. Spain is an English speaking country? Who new.
For what it's worth I had a UK international permit and used it in the states. They speak English, sort of
Old Jun 10th 2024, 12:41 pm

It very much does exist, I've had quite a few. Spain is an English speaking country? Who new.
For what it's worth I had a UK international permit and used it in the states. They speak English, sort of
I know they "exist" but they are largely unnecessary and don't add anything to the underlying existence of a real, government-issued drivers licence. Without the underlying license the "international permit" is nothing but a worthless scrap of paper.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Think you're heading down a blind alley here guys. There's no need to consider getting an international permit.

There's no legal issue with the OP continuing to use their Spanish licence in the UK. If you have an EU licence it's still okay to drive in the UK.

Here's what gov.uk says if you are resident (in this case the person would be resident because they are working in the UK for more than 183 days):

"You can exchange your EU licence for a GB licence if you wish to - for example, if you need a GB licence for your job. You do not have to retake your test to do so.If you were younger than 67 when you became a resident, you can drive on your EU licence until you’re 70.

If you were 67 or older when you became a resident, you can drive on your EU licence for 3 years after that point.

You can exchange your EU licence for a GB licence when you cannot drive on it anymore.

You can drive in Great Britain for only 12 months if you got your EU licence by exchanging your non-EU licence."

BUT it's not the law that meant they might need to do this. It was the company policy. I'm guessing this is connected to the terms of their insurance?

As Mikelincs pointed out there's different issue about having a car with a foreign licence plate - technically you have to change it immediately that you become resident. In reality it's generally not worth it unfortunately because it's expensive and time consuming
Old Jun 10th 2024, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

I really want to keep my spainish licence

Did you read his post?

Old Jun 10th 2024, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of vehicle do you need to drive for your contract in the UK? Is the vehicle on UK plates? Or do you need to drive a vehicle for your work?
In this case you would need to surrender your Spanish License for a UK one for Insurance purposes.

It would be a good idea to take a short course of driving lessons as well so you are better familiar with driving in UK and with the rules. (especially if you have to drive a company vehicle).
You don't only drive on the other side of the road, but many other rules are different too and many road markings and signs in UK are different and especially in towns and cities, some of these have very strict rules attached to them.

Make a copy of the Spanish license and retain the details.
When you return to Spain use those details and follow the lost license procedure.

There is a time limit for driving your Spanish vehicle in UK so you need to investigate that.

Last edited by calman014; Jun 10th 2024 at 8:25 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read his post?
Is that question directed at me?
Old Jun 10th 2024, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by C.2s
Is that question directed at me?
Yes, his request is specifically about NOT exchanging his licence. But if it's a job requirement, there maybe no option.
If it's for personal use only, an IDP will work. Not sure about the company rule on that obviously, can only ask, but no problem hiring cars with it.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, his request is specifically about NOT exchanging his licence. But if it's a job requirement, there maybe no option.
If it's for personal use only, an IDP will work. Not sure about the company rule on that obviously, can only ask, but no problem hiring cars with it.
Ah , in that case I will reply to your question. Yes of course I read his original post (and all of the other posts).

I think that you're not reading the text that I quoted from gov.uk correctly. To make it clearer it says that one CAN exchange IF one WISHES, & therefore goes on to explain that it's NOT obligatory by law. So I was also talking about NOT exchanging the licence.

Your point about getting an international driving licence for hiring a car is a bit moot, because it's not necessary for people with EU licences to do that. It's not necessary "for personal use" either. Maybe it is if you live somewhere else and that's why you are suggesting it?

Anyway I think that we both agree that in a case like this it would be necessary to talk to one's employer to find out why they are insisting on this. ​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.